Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for quality dvd's on newsgroups

sinxposed
    I'm tired of all of this 'shrinking', taking this and that out, editing menus'....

File size should no longer be an issue, with 50mbit internet so cheap and 1tb harddrives for 80 bucks..

I'm trying to find the best place either to search, or the exact alt.binaries.***** for FULL UNALTERED DVD's complete with menu's, extra features, etc..

it looks like the usual a.b.dv*** groups are like, just straight main movie rips.

so does anyone know the best place to get the ENTIRE thing?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    DVDs are often released as DVD9 and DVD5 for a reason. You want DVD9s.

DVD9s will never have anything stripped as they are for folks like you who want everything included and in the original quality.

DVD5s are shrunk because file size is an issue. The releaser will strip the least important or what they feel is the least necessary material (extras, subtitles, etc.) in order to get them under 4.7GB. That is for folks who want to burn the film to DVD.

I'm not certain what the best binary group would be though...
    Last edited by Skiz; 06-06-2009 at 06:06 AM.

yo

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    newsgroupie
    It could be that many of the sources are from foreign origins, and their DVD "extras" may differ, such as "the making of ..." narration being in another language. Just a wild guess.

What about alt.binaries.dvd9?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    Well both alt.binaries.dvds and alt.binaries.dvdr have a good collection

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Hello,

Release groups often strip the extras even from the DVD9 releases for obvious reasons. They still want you to buy the DVDs if you like them.

If you want everything included you should go to some of the Dutch boards like FTD, FTR, Binaries4ever, etc and follow up on what gets posted. All their DVDs are complete rips, usually of dutch-released DVDs so they'll have dutch subs included, often dutch audio track too. Other than that most have all the extras US/UK dvds have, but sometimes the extras aren't all there originally. Along with all that you get the trailers and warnings, which you'll have to learn to strip yourself.

Generally read the NFOs included in releases to help you decide if it's worth your time/bandwidth.

Regards

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Alot of the DVD's I've been seeing have only the FBI warning stripped. Like for example 24 Season 7 or whatever only have the FBI warning stipped, same with the Gran Torino DVDR's. BTW if you want those type of DVD's there is a placed called EFNET and you can request them there yourself, so go to the tut section and learn to request via IRC.
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 06-06-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    [center]

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by sinxposed View Post
    I'm tired of all of this 'shrinking', taking this and that out, editing menus'....

File size should no longer be an issue, with 50mbit internet so cheap and 1tb harddrives for 80 bucks..

I'm trying to find the best place either to search, or the exact alt.binaries.***** for FULL UNALTERED DVD's complete with menu's, extra features, etc..

it looks like the usual a.b.dv*** groups are like, just straight main movie rips.

so does anyone know the best place to get the ENTIRE thing?
    File size IS a big issue in countries larger than a postage stamp (i.e., outside of Europe/UK), where things (telecom) are run by commercial companies rather than government tax money (yes, I know that lots is commercial, but the base infrastructure was and is built by government telecom). In the U.S., the average internet speed available is <1Mb/s download, <256Kb/s upload. Above that is pretty spotty, and generally expensive.

But This question keeps coming up every few weeks here. Why don't you go to one of the myriad indexing sites (like this one) and filter the results by size; generally, everything > 5GB is a full DVD9 (although large par files will trip it above that), and there are some folks who try and 'cut' the dvd9's by what they feel is 'unnecessary'. So it does require a bit of brain filtering.

But they're scattered all over the newsgroups, not nicely packaged up in a particular group like a.b.dvd9 (which has a lot of dvd5's in it).

Start with the file size filter first, then go from there. I almost never d/l something that's a dvd5, unless I 'KNOW' the original commercial disc is a DVD5.

In short, you have to do some hunting.
    Last edited by Beck38; 06-06-2009 at 03:46 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Size is not an issue, why else would we be seeing rips averaging over 11gb for Hi-def rips, so size is not a issue.

And no the US is not average 1mb, I have that only because I'm at teh very outer point of their service, you can get unlimited internet for $20 a month and at almost any speeds depending on your location and major cities it's cheap and fast.
    [center]

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Size is not an issue, why else would we be seeing rips averaging over 11gb for Hi-def rips, so size is not a issue.

And no the US is not average 1mb, I have that only because I'm at teh very outer point of their service, you can get unlimited internet for $20 a month and at almost any speeds depending on your location and major cities it's cheap and fast.
    Where can I get 20mb+ internet for $20 a month in the US? I might just move there... I'm on 10mb/512kbps for $29.95 (promo price), usually it's $40+ a month (RR in NYC). The US is way behind on internet speeds and cost.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Not around here it's not, and I'm on the out skirts. I know AT&T offers it for $20 a month for unlimited, of course NY is going to be high, it's just like Cali, everthing is way overpriced, plus your paying the new NY tax on it as well.
    [center]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast