Thread: Alright..explain This To Me

slim150's Avatar Poster
    well, i dont konw if you have seen these net zero high speed dial up that is 8x faster than standard...but they are always on where i live. Since i have cable i dont really care but how do they claim to have an internet 8 times faster through dial up when its not really teh isp that determines the speed its like physically boudned by the telephone line right? and like the modem??? am i right on this one????????//
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Poster
    ok..i dont no how far off the track i am..but dont those only speed up "browsing"?..they cache your "visited" pages in ya comps temp folders and claim to speed up browsing time?

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    They're probably referring to DSL, they just dumbed-down the terminology for the sake of broad clarity....for the
    non computer knowlege type.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Sparsely@27 September 2003 - 06:37
    They're probably referring to DSL, they just dumbed-down the terminology for the sake of broad clarity....for the
    non computer knowlege type.
    ummmm...what'd dsl?

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    slim150's Avatar Poster
    no no its not dsl, they say on commercials" we plug it into an ordinary phone jack" its dial up
    "Their most trivial action may mean volumes, or their most extraordinary conduct may depend upon a hairpin or a pair of curling-tongs" - Holmes

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    lynx's Avatar .
    You plug dsl into an ordinary telephone jack too.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    yeah, copper pairs are capable of carrying much more than 56k, in some places bandwidth limiters were installed years ago to improve telephone audio quality, to offer DSL they have to be removed and also they&#39;re using different signal transmission techniques like QAM and phase shift keying which give large gains in bandwidth over conventional transmission schemes.