Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Inactivity Rule

apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    sucks!!!!
    What i font really understand is y the hell would u delete the user info from the DB if the user hasnt accessed the site in the 2 months ... Delete it if he hasnt accessed in a year or so .. If they are deleted from the DB then there is no possibilty of getting your account back no matter what you do which kinda sucks ..
    [/rant]
    Last edited by apextwin146; 06-09-2009 at 10:26 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Yoann64's Avatar El Niņo Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by apextwin146 View Post
    sucks!!!!
    What i font really understand is y the hell would u delete the user info from the DB if the user hasnt accessed the site in the 2 months ... Delete it if he hasnt accessed in a year or so .. If they are deleted from the DB then there is no possibilty of getting your account back no matter what you do which kinda sucks ..
    [/rant]
    you always have one solution ...Let a message on "USER INFO" or use "ACCOUNT PARKED", or IRC ...etc...
    Last edited by Yoann64; 06-09-2009 at 10:55 AM.
    Bienvenida Mamacita - I'm in ruta Babylon - Bienvenida La Juana - Tequila, sexo, marihuana. (M.Chao)

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    MATEE100's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    If you don't use the account,they don't see any reason why to keep you in.They're making some free places for users who will use the site.But If you gonna use it,but you're on a big Holiday or I dunno,and don't have any Account Parking function and you won't be near a computer for a long,it's real sucks.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    2 MONTHS is way too long. Account that is inactive for more than 2 DAYS should be deleted for the db.
    Last edited by TP635; 06-09-2009 at 02:04 PM.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    2 MONTHS is way too long. Account that is inactive for more than 2 DAYS should be deleted for the db.
    2 days ? and what if you have a job ?
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    sucks!!!!
    [/rant]
    oh, c'mon, they must delete it. after all it takes a few bytes to have a user account in your mysql DB.
    and they don't have room for it, of course.

it's a very lame site excuse to delete accounts. and many noobs defend it, to "save database space".

ffs.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    Quote Originally Posted by cinephilia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TP635 View Post
    2 days ? and what if you have a job ?
    quit it!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post
    sucks!!!!
    [/rant]
    oh, c'mon, they must delete it. after all it takes a few bytes to have a user account in your mysql DB.
    and they don't have room for it, of course.

it's a very lame site excuse to delete accounts. and many noobs defend it, to "save database space".

ffs.
    Its not just about taking room in the db though.

Since Dec 2006 we have had 357454 members through the doors.

Imagine if all of those were still on the tracker, seeding and leeching, the servers would not be able to cope.

Basically if we have 30,000 members, we can handle them, if we had 350,000 members, some days may be fine, others may be a nightmare waiting to happen, we just wouldnt know when the server would crash, but with 30,000 we have a good idea that it will be ok.

You also have all those dupe accounts, i would say 100,000 of those at least were dupe accounts, so whats the point of keeping those.

It also lets new people in, or at least it did before we stopped taking members.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Poster
    If 100,000 were dupe accounts, why would there be 357,454 active members?

Even if 257,454 members were potentially active accounts, why overlook the fact that a fair number of those would have left on their own or been banned?

And what of the potentially double or triple size of the donor base in order to maintain servers to keep up with demand?

I don't need answers, and I concede that there is truth at the core of your post, but I think the premises underlying your post as it stands are faulty.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    OK lets say we dont prune at all.

We would have had a limit of lets say 30,000 (even though we have had 100,000 in before).

Now because we never pruned, we would have 30,000 members, but no chance of anyone new getting in ever, as we never pruned, so our max members from Dec 2006 would have been 30,000 and not 1 more.

at least we have give 350,000 people the chance to experience BCG (or however many it actually is - dupe accounts) but i would say at least 150,000 unique people.

Even I realise we are not everyones cup of tea, lets say 20% of members like it and stay, that would only be 6,000 members using the tracker out of those 30,000, if we never pruned.

I admit atm pruning for us is kind of pointless, unless we start taking members again (open signup) as we are not taking any new members at all.

+ its not just the annouces that kill the servers, its number of members online at once as well, when we had 100,000 members, when 600+ members were on the site at once it would struggle big time, since we went down to 30,000 members, we have not been anywhere near that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast