Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tracker Levels <- what is it?

Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paracetamol View Post
    The level system is for dipshits who trade their invites and accounts. They base a tracker's level on a number of inane factors that no one else would care about, and use that information to treat torrent sites as some kind of item for barter.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7th
    In other words, its something to ignore.
    That is not at all correct.

For those of you who weren't around years ago, the tracker rankings were developed due to loads of threads such as "Have Demonoid - want FTWR". The Bittorrent section was literally filled with these sort of requests. Members simply had no idea which sites were small or large and which sites had 2,000 members and no invites and others that had 200,000 members and loads of invites. That might be hard to imagine now, given how quickly members are educated these days, but its true.

I've never felt the list needed to be updated nearly as much as it does. Those who trade are constantly trying to finagle and sway the rankings.

I don't see why it can't be updated once every 3 months or something.
    Last edited by Skiz; 06-10-2009 at 09:14 PM. Reason: added quote

yo

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    apextwin146's Avatar You kNow wHo yOu aRe BT Rep: +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25BT Rep +25
    :babadumsheesh:

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Thanks for the explanation, Skiz. That's about why I imagined it was made.

About your question, the l33t factor of a tracker can change considerably in 3 moths. Take HDbits for example. When I was invited, there were many invites floating around. Now it's one of the most sough after trackers.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    As Skizo has said, it makes no sense to insult the creator of the WTAW and WTO threads, as he/she is simply doing the board a practical service.

Most of the people whining in this thread about the tracker levels have either wasted long hours trying to get them and failed, or wasted long hours and gotten into trackers that turned out to be different to what they expected.

The aforementioned threads are very useful for you to know what the quality/quantity of the content in the trackers is. Rarity pertains to how small the community is, and consequently to how difficult it is to get an invite.

To say the smaller sites have more trusted members is IMO redundant. They may be old-timers for the most part, but it is hard to assess if someone is trustworthy or not over a broadband connection. Ultimately the trustworthy people in your life are the ones you have real-life contact with, not a set of e-acquaintances.

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    patiesmiz's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +2
    I was invited to FtN and ScT by some friends long time ago without having asked for an invite, in fact I didn't know then that the sites were top level ones. I lost my account on ScT for being inactive -since I seldom used the site- and I seldom use FtN, since most of the stuff I am after is not on there.

And I registered my account on Scc when the site was still open reg ages ago, and it was so good then as it is now, the only difference was that when the site was free reg it used to be considered as a shitty one by some elitist ppl and now the site is a top one, and those ones who didn't created accounts when the site was open cos 'it was not worthy' went straight to some forums to beg for invites when Scc just closed reg and told the users to not mention its name on forums.

So I am sure that when most of the ppl here say that the 'level' is something to ignore they know what they are talking about.
    Last edited by patiesmiz; 06-10-2009 at 07:40 PM.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    well-said patiesmiz
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post

About your question, the l33t factor of a tracker can change considerably in 3 moths. Take HDbits for example. When I was invited, there were many invites floating around. Now it's one of the most sough after trackers.
    You're proving my point. I doubt that status changed in a day or two in even in a few weeks, correct?

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

You're proving my point. I doubt that status changed in a day or two in even in a few weeks, correct?
    Well, I'm no trader but I did see an increase of HDbits reqs on different sites in literally days after invites were closed. And very few seemed genuine to me.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

Well, I'm no trader but I did see an increase of HDbits reqs on different sites in literally days after invites were closed. And very few seemed genuine to me.
    People want to be a part of the l33t sites, that's old news bro. Don't blame the thread, blame the mentality in their heads. (The few) mature torrenter's I know are in most part still largely influenced by this factor, whether they bash the thread or they don't, or whether they will admit it. It's a never-ending chase. You'll get a level 10, but then there's secret forums that aren't even on the list, there's luelinks, the race never ends, and you waste so much time pursuing something that's not really of any use to you in reality. Some people come to their senses, some keep chasing, and some people genuinely use tracker's only for content, and those people probably don't post much in invite/btt forums.

The WTAW isn't the root of the problem, because the mentality already existed and was probably what drove that thread into existence. I'm pretty pessimistic, but I'm willing to bet alot of 'anti-traders' are that for the sole reason that in some cases it can be alot easier and faster to become "leet" than by trading up. I'm saying this because I've seen private invite forums, I've seen the quality of the userbases in these closed trackers. Speaking in generalities, the people are pretty dumb and one-dimensional.
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 06-11-2009 at 08:16 AM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post

People want to be a part of the l33t sites, that's old news bro. Don't blame the thread, blame the mentality in their heads. (The few) mature torrenter's I know are in most part still largely influenced by this factor, whether they bash the thread or they don't, or whether they will admit it. It's a never-ending chase. You'll get a level 10, but then there's secret forums that aren't even on the list, there's luelinks, the race never ends, and you waste so much time pursuing something that's not really of any use to you in reality. Some people come to their senses, some keep chasing, and some people genuinely use tracker's only for content, and those people probably don't post much in invite/btt forums.

The WTAW isn't the root of the problem, because the mentality already existed and was probably what drove that thread into existence. I'm pretty pessimistic, but I'm willing to bet alot of 'anti-traders' are that for the sole reason that in some cases it can be alot easier and faster to become "leet" than by trading up. I'm saying this because I've seen private invite forums, I've seen the quality of the userbases in these closed trackers. Speaking in generalities, the people are pretty dumb and one-dimensional.

i'll agree with this to a degree here..... ultimately, it's up to the individual to decide for themselves what tracker would fit their needs.. BUT, when you have someone new just learning about torrenting joining a forum like this seeing many folks talking level this and level that..... and being directed to a thread that has a list of sites with numbers next to them.. how are they supposed to know wth it is..? or how to understand it, when you have so many others telling you to go by that list and you'll be fine.. too many potential good torrentors get lost because of bad information and bad examples... maybe the list by itself isn't the source of bad karma in the BT world.. but that, with a bunch of other missguided users setting the examples is a bad combination..
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast