Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedro's BTM : Change of Rules regarding seeding (Overseeding)

n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5

Urgent

Overseeding Rule

List All new uploads are protected from overseeding for the first 48 hours they are on the tracker.

List Overseeding is defined as exceeding a 3.0 ratio on any new torrent by anyone with a 100% copy except the original uploader:
    Global ratios are not considered.

List Partial downloads that are seeded to 3.0 or beyond are covered under this rule.

List All member classes, including VIPs and uploaders, are subject to the 3.0 ratio limit on protected torrents. Only the original uploader is exempt.

List When the 48-hour period has expired, the torrent is not subject to any ratio limitation.

List The original uploader is strongly encouraged to report any offenders to Staff or use the report button within the 48-hour protection period.

Reports received will be processed this way:

1st report: The overseeder will receive a PM from the staff, and will have his or her account parked
    2nd report: The overseeder will receive a PM, will have his or her account parked, and a 6 hour delay to download new torrents applied to his or her account
    3rd report: An additional delay of 6 hours to download new torrents will be added to the previous 6 hour delay to download new torrents.
    4th report: An additional delay of 6 hours to download new torrents will be added to the previous 12 hour delay to download new torrents.
    5th report: An additional delay of 6 hours to download new torrents will be added to the previous 18 hour delay to download new torrents.

At that point an overseeder will be waiting 24 hours to download any new torrents.
    If he/she has not modified his/her client or behavior the staff will continue to add 6 hours per violation to the account.

Please be aware that these delays cannot be appealed.

List While the original uploader is not affected by the overseeding rule, we expect a certain degree of moderation in seeding their uploads, especially from those with fast connections.
    List We expect downloaders to setup their torrent clients to stop or slow seeding speed at a ratio well below the 3.0 limit.
    List Members are encouraged to restart the torrent once the 48-hour term has expired and seed it for a long term.

Also there is now an email address for banned members to communicate with staff.

[email protected] is the address.
    A good move if ya ask me.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    So now members of that tracker have to babysit their downloads to ensure they don't share too much?

The above listed rules would be more than enough to put me right off that tracker if I were member.
    Last edited by Skiz; 06-11-2009 at 02:46 AM.

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    So now members of that tracker have to babysit their downloads to ensure they don't share too much?

The above listed rules would be more than enough to put me right off that tracker if I were member.
    Utorrent have feature to do that. No real need to babysit your download.

ps:Now I like the new rules. Could it be the result of the discussion from the other thread?
    Last edited by TP635; 06-11-2009 at 02:57 AM.

U2VjdGlvbjQ3

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post

Well, considering the drama that unfolded over the last few weeks, i am sure it has reached the right end. (From the perspective of the uploaders. It is disheartening for them to see people make 8:1 on their uploads, while they manage to upload a single copy.)
    Slow speeds at their end is a problem, but i am sure they would love to move on Gigabit lines if they could. Many of them have already taken to seeding from seedboxes.

Baby sitting the torrents is definitely a PITA. But, some people dont have any other choice considering that P's is more accessible than E, and seeding is a breeze when compared to What.cd and waffles, where it can take months for ones ratio to recover after making a small mistake.

On a personal note, Pedro's is definitely not goin to be my primary source for FLACs anymore(Till i have absolutely no other choice). I would prefer what and waffles till i manage to find a better place.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    slimdogp's Avatar Token White Kid BT Rep: +1
    I'm OK with this rule.. I guess..........

They have always been a little funny about overseeding. This is how I feel... Overseeding is really only a problem if it discourages other people from snatching. If you're looking at a 12hour torrent and thinking "wow, I don't want to ruin my ratio because I know when I snatch this there is going to be 40 seedboxes seeding on it and I'll never get back to 1.0"

Is this the case? I can't believe that it is.. It is so easy to keep a ratio on there, and the global ratio requirements are so easy that people probably just snatch what they want. I know thats what I do.

So, I will follow the rule and continue to enjoy what is a very unique and high quality tracker. Irreplacable IMO.

When in Rome.........

slim-

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Poster BT Rep: +4
    Both utorrent and azureus have features which allow you to set a certain time or ratio to automatically stop your torrent, so babysitting will not be required. I'm not a uploader or have a seedbox so this won't affect me, but hopefully the community can come back together and the uploader strike to stop.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    To me these rules basically mean, that I should be able to boost my ratio in the 48 hours of a torren's life and that older stuff will probably seeded better.

My ratio there is allmost always between 0.9 and 1.1, so it's all good for me.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I think this is a good move. I'm wondering if the other tracker will ever implement a rule like this since over seeding has been a problem over there too.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    What Skizo says is true. If member's are getting banned because they can't seed then there is deep rooted problem and this is such a superficial way to fix it. I don't seed every torrent I download 1:1. That is ridiculous unless you have a really fast upload speed, or if you don't download that much. Some things (most of the time stuff I upload) I'll seed for long periods, to keep them alive forever. Some things I'll take out of my client very soon after I download, and others will keep it alive. Worst situation; ask for a reseed.

Uploaders will hit 1:1 whether or not there's upload limit amounts or not. Maybe it works for Pedro's, I dont know, I'm not a flac nut. I don't think it's a very convenient system and I wouldn't like it on any tracker's I use. IMO it would encourage users to rely on VIP access cause who wants to keep every single torrent they download in their client till they hit 1:1? Maybe this is tolerable for people with decent upload speeds but I don't think this helps people as much as it inconveniences others.

Point in one sentence: Micromanaging to this extent is over-the-top.
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 06-11-2009 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    What Skizo says is true. If member's are getting banned because they can't seed then there is deep rooted problem and this is such a superficial way to fix it. I don't seed every torrent I download 1:1. That is ridiculous unless you have a really fast upload speed, or if you don't download that much. Some things (most of the time stuff I upload) I'll seed for long periods, to keep them alive forever. Some things I'll take out of my client very soon after I download, and others will keep it alive. Worst situation; ask for a reseed.

Uploaders will hit 1:1 whether or not there's upload limit amounts or not. Maybe it works for Pedro's, I dont know, I'm not a flac nut. I don't think it's a very convenient system and I wouldn't like it on any tracker's I use. IMO it would encourage users to rely on VIP access cause who wants to keep every single torrent they download in their client till they hit 1:1? Maybe this is tolerable for people with decent upload speeds but I don't think this helps people as much as it inconveniences others.

Point in one sentence: Micromanaging to this extent is over-the-top.
    where did you read that a torrent at P's has to be seeded to 1:1? Actually they have some other rules, these are just the new ones...
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast