Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pedro's BTM : Change of Rules regarding seeding (Overseeding)

1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    I'm speaking in generalities. If I upload an album it'll be because I want to share it, not because I want X amount of upload. I would be happy for someone with a good connection to help get it out there after I seeded 1 copy's worth.

I glanced over the rules and they seem to only apply to the first 48 hours. So I guess it's basically saying don't use a seedbox on fresh torrents, but in more words.
    Last edited by T.S.O.L.; 06-11-2009 at 07:55 AM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    This was the reason FTN stopped having a ratio. The seedbox users were ruining the tracker for the regular users. B found a genius solution in removing ratios. He could let the seedbox users continue to flaunt their epenises (epeni?) by means of an upload amount, while giving the regular user a minimum seed time so they wouldn't get pinched for not being able to seed.

I can understand Pedros wanting to do something about leveling the playing field but they're going about it all the wrong way.

yo

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Wrong way or not at least he is trying,ts better than nothing.

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by T.S.O.L. View Post
    I'm speaking in generalities. If I upload an album it'll be because I want to share it, not because I want X amount of upload. I would be happy for someone with a good connection to help get it out there after I seeded 1 copy's worth.
    Exactly. I've been an uploader at "E" for years and have had albums that get snatched a dozen times and I never reach a 2.0 ratio. If you're uploading tunes just to increase your ratio, you're missing the point IMO.

I have been lucky enough over the years to accrue a decent little buffer there. Every upload I have done in the past almost 2 years has been a "free drink", whereas I upload an album but I use my ratio so others can freely download it; I get nothing out of it. I'd much rather have people download an album I love to try it out than not download it for fear of losing a smidgen of ratio.

yo

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    Exactly. I've been an uploader at "E" for years and have had albums that get snatched a dozen times and I never reach a 2.0 ratio. If you're uploading tunes just to increase your ratio, you're missing the point IMO.

I have been lucky enough over the years to accrue a decent little buffer there. Every upload I have done in the past almost 2 years has been a "free drink", whereas I upload an album but I use my ratio so others can freely download it; I get nothing out of it. I'd much rather have people download an album I love to try it out than not download it for fear of losing a smidgen of ratio.
    That I can agree with. I also didn't know that T.S.O.L. was speaking in general about uploading. I thought you meant everyone had to seed to 1:1, which I found quite hard, even at P's.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    This was the reason FTN stopped having a ratio. The seedbox users were ruining the tracker for the regular users. B found a genius solution in removing ratios. He could let the seedbox users continue to flaunt their epenises (epeni?) by means of an upload amount, while giving the regular user a minimum seed time so they wouldn't get pinched for not being able to seed.

I can understand Pedros wanting to do something about leveling the playing field but they're going about it all the wrong way.
    I think their main reason for not going no ratio(same as E, I think ) is that they're afraid albums may not stay as seeded as long as they would be if ratio was in place.

I honestly don't know what I would do if I were an admin at either of these trackers. Maybe I would try the no ratio thing and see how well that went(both trackers have pretty dedicated communities, so I personally think that albums would not go unseeded that quickly). And if that didn't work, then maybe try a bonus system. I think this works well for general sites, so it may for a music site.

Either way, I still think it's great that P's is trying to do something.

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    NON TRADER BT Rep: +13BT Rep +13BT Rep +13
    hasn't there been a few discussions/debates on this sorta topic in the past??

but, i think it's a fair solution myself, as to many users whom have seedboxes rape the slower users... thus making it had for them to seed anything at all.. as was mentioned utorr, azerus and torrentflux as well(i think) have that option available, to set a upload ratio limit.. i do not see a problem with this.. if seed whoring is rampant on that site that staff should put the brakes on it!
    As for a ratio free system as skizo mentioned, it doesn't work so well.. you just create another issue with seeding.. as users do not feel justified having to seed back or continue to seed a torrent for any paticular length of time.. so torrents die out much faster that they might normally..

i give the staff much credit though for taking a stand on the subject... good, bad, or ugly.. only seed whore would be the ones complaining about this... sucks to be them.. lol
    TRADING SUCKS DEAL WITH IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    cinephilia's Avatar I don't like you BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkin' View Post
    I think their main reason for not going no ratio(same as E, I think ) is that they're afraid albums may not stay as seeded as long as they would be if ratio was in place.
    honestly, if they cared so much about keeping torrents alive, they would start by archiving torrents like KG does.
    whenever people agree with me, i always feel i must be wrong.

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    1000possibleclaws's Avatar BT God BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    If a torrent dies then request it again in the requests section. They should work on a better request system if that is a prevalent problem. If requests don't get filled it goes back to a shitty userbase, and there's nothing you can do about that.

Archiving works for KG because it's video but that would wreak havoc on a music tracker, where tons of people change around tags. If a torrent is archived and someone re-seeds it then it might not fully complete, but if they re-up it it will.

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    If a torrent dies then request it again in the requests section. They should work on a better request system if that is a prevalent problem. If requests don't get filled it goes back to a shitty userbase, and there's nothing you can do about that.
    I agree. E has a terrible system where uploaders are allowed to select their torrent as "permanent" and it will never be purged. There are old torrents that people would like to reupload but they cant b/c it already exists on the tracker albeit with no seeds for a year.

yo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast