Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else totally FED UP of seedbox users?

Poster
    I'm fed up but not FED UP. But I've got 20/5 fios and a giganews subscription to help.

2. BitTorrent   -   #12
    Trippin''s Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    The real source of the problem is that while speeds have increased the thinking of the people running trackers hasn't adapted to reflect that change.
    some have
    Yep your tracker is currently the only one that doesn't make me hesitate before starting a download.

EDIT: For those telling me to get a faster connection... I can't. Fastest available here is ADSL 8192/448 which is what I have.
    Last edited by Trippin'; 06-11-2009 at 05:16 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #13
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    The real source of the problem is that while speeds have increased the thinking of the people running trackers hasn't adapted to reflect that change.
    some have
    Thought of you and FSC,that makes two .Any others?

My personal opinion is that trackers basically list ratio stats (and have userclasses ) to bend people's arms into being more active than they might otherwise be.What would happen if the only stats shown were total download( so people could still get an idea of activity) and whether you had a positive or negative ratio?

4. BitTorrent   -   #14
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    What about the freeleech trackers.

and on BCG everyone should have a positive global ratio (actual ratio not so much).

But this is why we are working on the acheivement table for us, its something a little bit different, its just taken an age to code the classes into it.

there are 2 major factors though, epenis and P2L.

Most members like having the top rank, and a huge buffer so they dont have to worry (this doesnt work on BCG but on most trackers it does)

then you have P2L the more seedboxes there are, the more members struggle to keep a ratio, = the more members that pay for upload to stay on the site.

Obviously with that one you can have to many seedboxes, but even then, even if everyone on the tracker has a seedbox, there will still be some that cant keep a 1:1 ratio.

Seedboxes are both good and bad, on BCG i am like tripping, i can download anything i like without having to worry, and its not even a staff perk, every member can. but if i did join a global ratio tracker, i would be scared shitless to download anything, hence why i am not a member of anywhere else.

PS: I dont use a seedbox

5. BitTorrent   -   #15
    FSC [Fight Club] BT Rep: +2
    Well i think the bigger picture is the mentality that seedboxes have created which has been detrimental to trackers in general. While i do appreciate seedboxes as some use them responsibly, they have become so prolific that on many sites you need one to stay on. The mentality of instant gratification is now prevalent throughout torrents, examples of which are the lack of retention on many sites, the widespread acceptance of P2L/I, the preference of Free Leech on trackers as mandatory, the lack of appreciation for uploaders, the general "Me 1st" mentality which was not so wide spread before cheap servers.

The funny thing is i get requests for invites where the 1st thing they mention is the fact that they have 2-5 seedboxes, and it actually turns me off to inviting them as i think a good torrent user has other interest besides torrents and having that many seedboxes is a bit obsessive and speaks to there mentality. Sadly most seedbox owners tend to think that the answer is throwing money around, instead of actually taking the time to make friends and help build a community. I am glad i am part of a community which does not emphasize that aspect of torrenting.

What i dont understand is the fact that they seem to think they get the rls faster, which is somewhat true unless your actually going to WATCH the rls you downloaded, cuz then its actually seen at about the same time w/ or w/out the seedbox, since most still have to DL to there home via ftp
    Last edited by DV8type; 06-11-2009 at 06:35 PM.
    Proud Member of:

6. BitTorrent   -   #16
    MODERATION BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    I also share yre frustration mate. i was wit Virgin(max 45 kbps up speed), now I m wit Orange(got it free wit my mobile phone contract- max 40kbps) and I can say that both are pants. I m gutted, I cant surf the web while seeding, I have to borrow cds from my mate to keep a decent ratio on what.cd, and I got ratio 1 only after a cople of weex of seeding a xVid film on most of the trackers. At least Orange doesnt throttle the speeds at peak hours.
    A few advices, if I may: get on the right trackers, expecially the ones where you shouldn't care about ratios. Also trackers wit seedeng rules(max 3:1) are allrite or the ones with seeding bonuses, just buy upload. I also sugest that you should have more than 4-5 trackers on yre bookmarks, cause keeping more than that will then be impossible. I also borrow my mates seedboxes when I m in trouble. BETHERE seems to be torrent-friendly althought I never tryed it. I ve also heard rumors that you can chip your ruter and ger 1Mb upload on Virgin. You may wanna google that.

As you can see you are not the only one fed up wit his isp and those with super ratios. I for instance cant see how a ratio of 10 and loads of trafic on yre seedbox could help you and the others around you. BT is about sharing between people not sharing beetween seedboxes. I had to stop using SCT for this reason...

Tara

7. BitTorrent   -   #17
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    some have
    yes, some do.
    but those, just like you, are a dying breed in the BT world.

8. BitTorrent   -   #18
    tippertime's Avatar Your E-Stalker BT Rep: +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70BT Rep +70
    well if you have a slow connection...the best thing to do is just get a seedbox for a month or two get a pretty nice buffer and don't worry about it anymore...because its only going to get harder as time goes on...

9. BitTorrent   -   #19
    brightsid's Avatar Larisssssssaaaaaaa BT Rep: +4
    You are member to some fine trackers tippertime as I can understand from your sign
    Except bcg and ScT that I'm not member in all the others what do you need the big buffer?
    I'm with an average home connection and I really thank all the seedbox owners for downloading fast what I want, but I can't understand the need of buffering your account .
    Last edited by brightsid; 06-11-2009 at 07:50 PM.
    We make a living by what we get,
    we make a life by what we give

10. BitTorrent   -   #20
    Trippin''s Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Quote Originally Posted by tippertime View Post
    well if you have a slow connection...the best thing to do is just get a seedbox for a month or two get a pretty nice buffer and don't worry about it anymore...because its only going to get harder as time goes on...
    What so seed my ass off for a couple of months so that I can just hit and run on everything after that? Not really the solution I am looking for.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast