Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else totally FED UP of seedbox users?

Trippin''s Avatar Poster BT Rep: +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16BT Rep +16
    Rant time...

Where I live the best upload speed available to me is basic ADSL, which puts out data at about 45KB/s. My ISP also throttles bittorrent traffic at peak times, so I am unable to leech or seed between 6pm and 11pm.

Back when I first started using private trackers (not that long ago), some time in 2007, I had absolutely no problems. I could download movies, tv shows, whatever and seed them back fine. At that time my max upload was even less... around 35KB/s! I could even download a full 360 game and seed it for just a few hours a day and eventually, after 2 or 3 weeks, it would be seeded to a ratio of 1.

Since people started using seedboxes though, it's just been impossible for me to seed things. Most of the leechers are gone within a few hours and they are completely gone within a couple of days. Even when there are leechers available, all the seedboxes in the swarm mean that I don't even get the opportuntity to seed to them. I tried a seedbox myself for a few months and it made seeding things so easy but after a while I simply couldn't afford it.

Obviously a certain number of seedboxes is a good idea, especially for uploaders to get an initial copy out there, but I seriously think they are ruining the private tracker experience. I know retention helps a bit but I really havn't got the hard drive space to keep seeding absolutely everything that I download for months.

I would like to get an idea of what other FST users think of this, especially people in a similar situation to me (using a shite UK ADSL line).

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    xJohnxSmithx's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    I only get 50k ul and i love the all the seedboxes. I love getting my stuff fast. You could look into some different trackers which are easier to seed back to (ipt, tl etc) or some fl trackers (f*n, g*t etc).
    cheers
    Last edited by xJohnxSmithx; 06-11-2009 at 04:22 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    I couldn't agree with you more,
    there are alot of rich kids who are doing BT simply to annoy their parents.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    first of all, switch your isp to BE if you happen to be in its good service zone. it gives you better upload speed of 150k/s. dont even think about virgin media's new 'fantastic 50Mb fibre optic broadband'' it's just bollocks, you dont get better upload speed than BE Pro and it's just a matter of time b4 they start a new traffic management.
    secondly, keep away from public trackers as well as private tracker like TL which has been infiltrated
    by anti-piracy groups. you dont want to receive letters from Davenport Lyons or ACS:Law.
    a seedbox might give you extra safety and aid to buffer your trackers.some trackers do not require you seedback everything to 1:1 by its rules so you might find it easier on some different trackers. you can also start using those non-ratio trackers so you dont really have to worry about low seeding speed.
    as for using a seedbox, you dont really have to keep a seedbox forever if you find it too expensive under the bloody recession, rent a good box and work it hard on your buffers for one month then you can sit back to enjoy for many months after.
    Last edited by johhn; 06-11-2009 at 04:45 PM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +3
    It does make seeding harder for the regular joe using a ADSL connection, but i dont see seebox users going away anytime soon. i also struggled abit on some trackers some years ago, dont really notice it after i upgraded to a fiber optics connection tho.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I have a seedbox and still agree with the OP.
    Having to jump on every torrent that interests me within the first 10 seconds of it being upped isn't my idea of fun ( or how I want to spend my time for that matter).

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Agreed... even though I don't use Bittorrent I understand your frustration.

I was just looking back at a similar thread I started a couple years ago:

Quote Originally Posted by Skiz
    I just uploaded a torrent which has gotten a lot of quick leechers. I saw that 20+ members jumped on in the first 5-10 minutes, so I should get a good amount of upload, right? Wrong.

Current stats:

27 seeders
    6 leechers
    1.146 ratio

yo

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Quote Originally Posted by johhn View Post
    first of all, switch your isp to BE if you happen to be in its good service zone. it gives you better upload speed of 150k/s. dont even think about virgin media's new 'fantastic 50Mb fibre optic broadband'' it's just bollocks, you dont get better upload speed than BE Pro and it's just a matter of time b4 they start a new traffic management.
    secondly, keep away from public trackers as well as private tracker like TL which has been infiltrated
    by anti-piracy groups. you dont want to receive letters from Davenport Lyons or ACS:Law.
    a seedbox might give you extra safety and aid to buffer your trackers.some trackers do not require you seedback everything to 1:1 by its rules so you might find it easier on some different trackers. you can also start using those non-ratio trackers so you dont really have to worry about low seeding speed.
    as for using a seedbox, you dont really have to keep a seedbox forever if you find it too expensive under the bloody recession, rent a good box and work it hard on your buffers for one month then you can sit back to enjoy for many months after.
    Short sighted.What you are saying is like "if you are frightened because everyone is carrying a gun then your best option is to carry one also."

The real source of the problem is that while speeds have increased the thinking of the people running trackers hasn't adapted to reflect that change.
    With wide variance in what members have available to them steps should be taken to make torrenting a positive experience accessible to, if not all ,then most at least.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    That usually happens when you are the initial seeder. Everybody else will get a majority of the upload because you are simply putting out the data and is there job to spread it rapidly to their fellow peers

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    The real source of the problem is that while speeds have increased the thinking of the people running trackers hasn't adapted to reflect that change.
    some have

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast