Thread: Norton Antivirus 2004 Prof Help!

i just tried to install norton antivirus 2004 prof, which i got a few days ago from supernova, and its a total disaster! i installed it, no problems, then it said restart computer so i did.
    then when it came to the windows xp home edition startup screen with the bar that moves from left to right it just hanged. the bar just kept moving from left to right and my computer didnt seem to do anything! after 15min i restarted manually and tried again. it showed this warning first on how to restart and i chose normal start but it hanged again. i tried a few times but it kept hanging. then i chose last known setting that worked and here i am: whenever antivirus starts it shows an error with internal program error. when i open personal firewall and click the tab norton antivirus it show a screen with 1 button: uninstall. now whenever i go to software and try to uninstall it says: need to restart to complete uninstall - which i havent done yet. when i try to install again it gives the same error. and restarting doesnt change anything, same error
    what do i have to do? i currently dont have any antivirus now that works! someone help me!

UPDATE: i was finally able to uninstall it. i quickly installed the 2003 version and when i restarted i got the registration screen from 2004 (new graphics, how nice)

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Forum Star
    Try to boot in safe mode and uninstall

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    you cant uninstall software in safe mode

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    yes! norton antivirus 2003 prof is now installed and works!
    Norton personal firewall 2003 doesnt work anymore!!! help someone what do i have to do now?
    i cant install the update to version 6.04. it keeps telling me that i need to restart! (not again) help? anyone? what now?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    MAbey you have a problem with your OS mabey try reinstalling and see if it helps.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    xp came with the comp, i cant reinstall . i could ask a friend for his cd but id like to keeps this as a last option. only my firewall seems unable to be updated

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Originally posted by Mavol@21 September 2003 - 11:12
    you cant uninstall software in safe mode
    Don't be silly, of course you can.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Mavol@21 September 2003 - 07:11
    i just tried to install norton antivirus 2004 prof, which i got a few days ago from supernova, and its a total disaster! i installed it, no problems, then it said restart computer so i did.
    then when it came to the windows xp home edition startup screen with the bar that moves from left to right it just hanged. the bar just kept moving from left to right and my computer didnt seem to do anything! after 15min i restarted manually and tried again. it showed this warning first on how to restart and i chose normal start but it hanged again. i tried a few times but it kept hanging. then i chose last known setting that worked and here i am: whenever antivirus starts it shows an error with internal program error. when i open personal firewall and click the tab norton antivirus it show a screen with 1 button: uninstall. now whenever i go to software and try to uninstall it says: need to restart to complete uninstall - which i havent done yet. when i try to install again it gives the same error. and restarting doesnt change anything, same error
    what do i have to do? i currently dont have any antivirus now that works! someone help me!

UPDATE: i was finally able to uninstall it. i quickly installed the 2003 version and when i restarted i got the registration screen from 2004 (new graphics, how nice)
    When you see that screen:
    it showed this warning first on how to restart and i chose normal start

Select the option that says "Last Known Good Configuration" and xp will revert back to the way it booted when it was actually working.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    well the prob is solved. i used last know setting that worked. But norton personal firewall doesnt seem to function correctly. it wont auto allow acces to known (like lavasoft adware,...) programs to the internet. i have to give everything in manually with add. and liveupdate doesnt want to update personal firewall anymore, here's the message:

Liveupdate must update Symantec Redirector. Please install this update first, restart your computer, and run Live Update again.

*i have tried restarting a few times* same message

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    might be symatec trying to play around with u.. cause they know u ripped off 2004.