Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft to give away free antivirus

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Microsoft to give away free antivirus

Microsoft is poised to start giving away security software. The company is reportedly trialling free anti-virus software internally and said the beta version would be released “soon”.

Called Morro, the software will tackle viruses but lack the broader range of utilities, such as parental locks, found in paid-for security suites. Morro will be Microsoft’s second venture in the highly competitive security market. Microsoft’s first attempt revolved around the Windows Live OneCare service that did not succeed in turning many customers away from rivals such as Symantec and McAfee.

Microsoft plans to discontinue Live OneCare once the Morro software is ready.

No specific date has been given for when Morro will be released, but in the past Microsoft has said it would be out by the end of 2009 at the latest.

Microsoft said Morro would tackle viruses, spyware, rootkits and trojans.

Janice Chaffin, Symantec’s president of consumer products, said customers wanted more than just basic protection.

“A full internet security suite is what consumers require today to stay fully protected,” she said.

Security software for home PCs typically cost around £30-40 and often allow users to install protections on more than one computer.

Other companies, such as AVG and Alwil already produce and distribute free anti-virus products.

Fake help

In its latest update, Microsoft added code that detects and deletes the widespread Internet Antivirus Pro family of fake security software programs.

Such programs, also known as scareware, have been proving more popular with hi-tech criminals in recent months.

The Anti-Phishing Working Group estimated that there were 9,287 bogus anti-malware program in circulation in December 2008 - a rise of 225% since January 2008.

The US government has moved to shut down some companies peddling the programs that falsely claim to find malicious software on PCs and then charge for the non-existent threats to be removed.

In addition, the Internet Antivirus Pro software displays fake Windows security messages to try and trick people into thinking the product is legitimate. The software also contains a password stealer that watches where people go online and grabs login data.

-----

Makes you wonder if it will be any good, and if it's bundled are the AV companies going to call foul play?

Source: Microsoft Freeware AV

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    It's a nice gesture, but shouldn't they just make Windows more secure to begin with?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well you really can't, because someone will always find a exploit, look at the "new" MAC botnet for instance, so much for MAC's being virus free, and I still think eventually Linux will suffer the same fate as the rest, as being able to get virus's and being exploited.
    [center]

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    harshytkage's Avatar Tarders BEWARE! BT Rep: +2
    hehehehe....now spme other company's gonna sue them for abusing competition again...
    Spoiler: Show

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    They will have more bugs to patch

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Is the WGA tool included ? Har Har

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    They should make a lighter version of their OS and make it available to the public.

I use AVG and very happy with it. I will not use their anti virus because it would be just like their OS big time resource hogger. With its OS and their free AV you will have to upgrade your pc (RAM) no matter what.

Trust me I am a M$ certified pro.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Well you really can't, because someone will always find a exploit, look at the "new" MAC botnet for instance, so much for MAC's being virus free, and I still think eventually Linux will suffer the same fate as the rest, as being able to get virus's and being exploited.
    Agreed, it'll be a while before Linux user's get effected as the Linux market is much smaller than OSX/Windows, I think it' below 10%?

Windows 7 is turning out to be a positive OS compared to Vista.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I won't even let them download their malicious software removal tool for fear its more spyware than file removal. Why in the world would I trust them to scan my whole PC on a daily basis?

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Hombre's Avatar Finish Him !!!! BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Appzalien View Post
    I won't even let them download their malicious software removal tool for fear its more spyware than file removal. Why in the world would I trust them to scan my whole PC on a daily basis?
    because u should trust them because you use their SO. if you didn't trust them, you wouldn't be using windows like u are now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast