Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Woman fined $1.9 million for illegal downloads

June 18th, 2009, 07:57 PM ET By Elianne Friend, CNN

(CNN)"A federal jury Thursday found a 32-year-old Minnesota woman guilty of illegally downloading music from the Internet and fined her $80,000 each — a total of $1.9 million — for 24 songs.

Jammie Thomas-Rasset’s case was the first such copyright infringement case to go to trial in the United States, her attorney said.

Attorney Joe Sibley said that his client was shocked at fine, noting that the price tag on the songs she downloaded was 99 cents. She plans to appeal, he said."

Source: http://cnnwire.blogs.cnn.com/2009/06...gal-downloads/
    BetaNews: Jammie Thomas-Rasset infringed, says jury; fined $80,000 / song
    Last edited by Hairbautt; 06-19-2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: added image & view link

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    What the hell happened to the 8th Amendment?

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    LAWL
    I have downloaded more than 5k songs in lossless this year alone, and am downloading loads of them as I type this.
    One unlucky woman..thats all i can say!
    Last edited by n00bz0r; 06-19-2009 at 07:42 AM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Ridiculous! The lawyer is right- should have been $.99 (or less). She was not downloading for resale. The company had virtually no damages.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Ridiculous! The lawyer is right- should have been $.99 (or less). She was not downloading for resale. The company had virtually no damages.
    Agree! I'm glad were not at this point in Sweden yet, but it will unfortunely not be long before we are there too. The fine should be equal to the damage,single persons should not become targets for the music- and movie-industrys revenge at piracy.

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    harshytkage's Avatar Tarders BEWARE! BT Rep: +2
    1.9 MILLION! What a bunch o FAGS!!!
    Spoiler: Show

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Poster
    lmao!!!! Where the hell did the Jury come up with $80,000 per song?? That is the most douche baggish thing I have ever heard!! That woman bought the most expensive music album this world has ever seen! haha wonder what she used to download the music....probably bittorrent crap!

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholastotino View Post
    lmao!!!! Where the hell did the Jury come up with $80,000 per song?? That is the most douche baggish thing I have ever heard!! That woman bought the most expensive music album this world has ever seen! haha wonder what she used to download the music....probably bittorrent crap!
    No. Claims are that it was Kazaa.
    _________________________________________________________________________________________
    Last edited by Alien5; Jun 6th, 2006 at
    06:36 PM..

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    john pal's Avatar )-_-( BT Rep: +1
    that fine is totally stupid, least at first sight. only in America... I hope.
    Last edited by john pal; 06-19-2009 at 02:34 PM.

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    abu_has_the_power's Avatar I have cool stars
    The evidence clearly pointed to her machine, even correctly identifying the MAC address of both her cable modem and her computer's Ethernet port. When combined with the facts about her hard drive replacement (and her failure to disclose those facts to the investigators), her "tereastarr" username, and the new theories that she offered yesterday for the first time in more than three years, jurors clearly remained unconvinced by her protestations of innocence.
    that's interesting. i wasn't aware that isps can log the mac addresses of individual computers on a wireless router. i thought it can only log the mac address of the cable modem...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast