Thread: Digital camera question?

Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    I've started getting back into photography recently so I'm looking for a new camera for larger prints. I can't really decide though.

I would like a camera that allows me to adjust my zoom and focus manually, but I have no interest in fiddling with things like exposure rate etc. I would mainly use it for larger prints, ie 20" by 30".

I have used my friends SLR camera for larger prints up until now, because my compact one is 3 years old and only 4MP. The SLR I've been using is a few years old as well but is 7MP, so the quality is noticably better when blowing prints up to that size.

Does anyone of you have any experience in using a compact high res camera (12MP and upwards) for printing large pictures? Did the prints work out ok? Are the pictures sharp?

Although SLR's with dials are easier to use, I don't see the need in forking out £500 if a compact one will do the job I want it to do...
    Last edited by Skweeky; 07-06-2009 at 08:27 PM.

2. Lounge   -   #2
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    yes

3. Lounge   -   #3
    i mean no.

4. Lounge   -   #4
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    I agree with everything allen says.

Maybe.

5. Lounge   -   #5
    can you imagine if you could really get into photography, i wonder what it would look like in there, like.

6. Lounge   -   #6
    Thank you both for your informative and insightful comments. I don't know where I would be without you.

7. Lounge   -   #7
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Without wishing to appear too geeky the Panasonic ZS3 is worth a look - Leica lens too

Soz it is sold as the TZ7 in the UK

PPS - the primary advantage of more MP is that you can get the better resolution on a bigger print out. So 10MP or 12MP cameras will provide better results on larger prints. You won't notice any difference between a 5MP and a 10MP camera on an ordinary 5" by 7" print.
    Last edited by Biggles; 07-06-2009 at 09:30 PM.
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

8. Lounge   -   #8
    I'm looking at 20"x30" at least... so I reckon my best option will be a compact hi res one. I'd love an SLR with that res, but unless JP has written me in his will and he dies tomorrow, there's no way I can afford that.

Funny thing is that if I decided to play an instrument I could apply for a 2K grand. BUt not for photography, oh no, that's not real art apparently. Bah.