Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backing Up Outlook

I need to reformat my harddrive soon and along with backing up loads of my stuf to CD, I would like to backup my Outlook files (Calender, Contacts, Tasks).

I've looked around the outlook help and found info about PST files. I have created one titled "backup" then saved it to floppy and tried to put it onto another computer with no luck.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

RE: Alternatives
    My Orange SPV mobile is being repaired so I can't AAutosynch it to that.
    I've considered "print screen"ing some of the pages then retyping it from th JPG but it'd take forever.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    If you are using XP try this. With explorer go to :

My computer/Documents and Setting. The go to your logon name (for an example we will use X as your identity)

Open X/Application Data/Microsoft/Address book. This should let you back up your contacts (I think).

Also in X (your user folder) There is a Local Setting folder. Go there then to Identities. There should be a couple of folders in there that have outlook data in them.

I hope this helps.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    search for your .pst file.
    *.pst it's probably in your documents and settings...or in Outlooks program files...
    I don't remember where it goes.

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    skelley521's Avatar puter ghost
    e-backup I believe is what you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
    Steve

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    Have you opened Outlook and done File > Import & Export > Import File from another program or file > your backup.pst?

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    Originally posted by Sparsely@28 September 2003 - 22:05
    Have you opened Outlook and done File > Import & Export > Import File from another program or file > your backup.pst?
    Also a good trick for importing every and almost all Outlook Express (perhaps even other e-mail client softwares) data over to Outlook.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Thanks for all your replys.

I am using Win Me. The machine I want to transfer it to is on Win 98 then when mine is reformatted, I'll install XP on it then transfer it ono there.

I have located the PST backup file but can' t see how to import it. Would I overwrite the currently used one? I can't seem to import then access it after following the menu options.

e-backup seems to be for outlook express not outlook (not sure where they seperate apart from that it's the calender adn contacts I need to save - I never use the express bit)

Sorry I've taken this long to reply but my connections been messed up with all the choppping and changing of my system.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    The emails are stored in a .dbx file.. Do a windows search on that filetype to manually save the emails.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    It's not the emails I'm after - it's the Calender and Contacts.

I've been through the inport menu and I end up with my imported personal file on the folder list but it has no data in it.

e-backup doesn't seem to install on my computer and I'm not sure it does the calender anyway.

(A=Original computer I want to save the calender from, B=Borrowed computer I want to load the calender onto)

I have even tried deleting on "B" the data in folders:

C/Windows/Application Data/Microsoft/outlook
    and
    C/Windows/Application Data/Identities/5c2342343j4h/Microsoft/outlook express

.....and replaced with the equivalent data from "A" only to find that it doesn't change anything. I think there must be another folder somewhere.

Edit: Mistype

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Izagaia's Avatar Her angel of darkness
    Beyond midnight, near you, in darkness...
    I was always under the impression that the windows "address book" (.wab file/contacts) was a seperate entity that is usually associated with the Microsoft "Works" suite. Just cross-referenced and used by Outlook and OE. Perhaps the same with Calendar?

Could it be that so long as your Works suite is intact, then the address and calendar files are as well? In all honesty, I had just thought that these files were stored there and not in any of Outlook's folders. But I do not know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast