Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu users, which bt client should i use?

A penguin walks into a bar...

I converted to Ubuntu, installing jaunty this past weekend (with a Win 7 partition for my gaming). I'm really pretty bad with Linux, since I only used it a bit on some seedboxes, but it is fun to learn.

My question is which bt client should I use? I've tried Transmission, which I used on my Mac, but I find speeds jump around a bit, although they have gone higher than uTorrent (and much higher than my purported connection). uTorrent through wine is more stable, but I'm trying to go native, if possible. The one thing uTorrent has in its favor is its popularity (and for now, the skip hash check as I test clients).

I've installed Deluge, but haven't played around with it much. It seems to have fewer features.

I used to run rTorrent on my seedbox (and Mac at one time) but I haven't gotten my config file straightened out properly yet (always my biggest issue), although I spent all of 5 minutes on that.

Before I go further and do awfully unscientific tests, I ask all Ubuntu users to advise me on which client to use.

My main concern is stable speed to keep up in fast swarms. I also prefer the native linux clients looks and need a good webui. Resources should not be a problem for my i7 920 & 6GB Corsair, so that's a nonissue. I get 4MB/s down and 2-4MB/s up, with occasionally much higher spikes.
    Last edited by realityhd; 07-01-2009 at 01:22 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    I was using KTorrent forever. But recently it got really buggy for me. Most of my torrents just wouldn't work(have no idea why). So I switched to Deluge, and I love it and will stay with it.

Transmission is also a great client. I just don't like it that it won't categorize your torrents by tracker, like Deluge automatically does.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    DISABLED PRIVS BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    It seems like Deluge or rTorrent are the most 'well-behaved' torrent clients in linux. I've used all the major torrent clients in linux and none compared to those two. Don't get me started on Azureus...
    Deluge has a good interface, it's easy to use, and it works well overall. The community developed addons also make it great. The webui needs a LOT of work, but it's just OK for now.
    You seem to have experience with rTorrent, so I won't bother writing about my experience with it in detail. I'll only say that setting it up with wtorrent in ubuntu has never been much fun for me, though that's mostly due to the fact that I have a tendency to make colossal mistakes. I haven't found a frontend for rtorrent that compares to utorrent's webui.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Member BT Rep: +1
    try latest transmission betas.. maybe they can help
    Last edited by bionick; 07-02-2009 at 08:39 AM.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    nthpeter's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22BT Rep +22
    Started with Transmission, now using Vuze (Azureus), both working well (the actual Vuze version is banned from some trackers, though). Wine + uTorrent is also a good choice, i just have no time to make them work.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Thanks for the input. I will definitely be testing these out a bit further, especially Deluge. And I should take a look at the addons which I know nothing about.

I never got wTorrent working myself, so idk if it's worth bothering anyway.

I tried the most recent version of Transmission 1.72. That client has always had some issues. I used it on Mac since the .3 range, so I know it isn't the best option, even if it is most familiar to me.

I never liked vuze when I tried it, even when it was just azureus. Too much going on or something.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    MODERATION BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Yes mate Deluge is the right one. It's light and very easy to use. Transmission comes preinstaled put it always messes things around. Vuze is brilliant but who need all that? rTorrent is allrite to but I d advise you to stick to Deluge. tara

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    I LOVE how when you add a torrent to Deluge, the client will automatically group it into the tracker its from(it even grabs the trackers icon). You don't have to manually label it like in uTorrent or KT. Also I generally get faster up speeds with Deluge(by 10kb/s or so), so I'll definitely be sticking with this client for now on.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    MODERATION BT Rep: +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20BT Rep +20
    Quote Originally Posted by nthpeter View Post
    Wine + uTorrent is also a good choice, i just have no time to make them work.

Now why on earth would you do that when there are so many linux-native clients? Wine its a stupid thing anyway... should only be used for games. Linux its much better than windows

I'm glad you are enjoining Deluge Funkin' mate . the only thing I m not sure about is its blocklist, beside that it fits me perfectly. Whats your favourite music player? If you allow me I would recommend Songbird with plugins. Once you try it you will hang on to it forever . Amarock used to be good but last version was so bugged that I had to try something else and now I m absolutely amazed with what Songbird can do.
    Last edited by ovisan; 07-02-2009 at 06:27 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    I'll give Songbird a shot. Thanks for the recommendation. I actually saw this being recommended on the Ubuntu forums, but totally forgot about it. On Windows I was a big Foobar fan. But since switching to Linux, I've only been using the pre-installed player, which is Rhythmbox...I think. It doesn't have a ton of features, but it's been getting the job done.

I really liked listening to music through KTorrent though, since I didn't have to open another app. The media player was basic, but I liked it a lot.

And with Wine+uTorrent, I didn't like that at all. uTorrent didn't behave properly for me(one of the biggest problems was not getting coonectible). Using native apps is the only way to go on Linux.

Thanks for reminding me of Songbird. I've been meaning to try a different media player.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast