Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 preorder a hit (save 50% ordering now)

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

Microsoft's program for preordering Windows 7 at a discount is proving quite popular, at least at Amazon.com.

The program, which kicked off on Friday, allows people to order an upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium for $49, more than half off its $119 suggested price, or Windows 7 Professional for $99, half of its suggested price.

Both options run only until July 11 and are also limited in terms of the number of copies Microsoft will sell at those prices, though the software maker won't clarify what the limits are. (Users will get their copy of the operating system after it is made broadly available on October 22.)

The two offers have proven exceptionally popular on Amazon. The Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade package vaulted to No. 1, not just in Amazon's software store, but among all electronics products on the site. Meanwhile, the Windows 7 Professional upgrade was No. 2 among software products. Amazon also has a lot of Windows 7 info on its site, as well as a paid delivery option that guarantees that the product will arrive on October 22.

I'm checking into how the preorder program is doing at other stores. It is also being offered at the brick-and-mortar and/or online outlets Best Buy, Costco, Newegg, Office Depot, Office Max, Sam's Club, Staples, Tiger Direct, Wal-Mart, as well as at a few regional spots, such as Fry's Electronics and Nebraska Furniture Mart.

Best Buy, for its part, said preorders of Windows 7 immediately took off on Friday--faster than with previous preorder programs. Overall, though, it said sales are in line with its projections.

Microsoft is also running similar programs in a few other countries. Reports from Engadget and elsewhere suggest that the program is already sold out in Japan. A Microsoft representative was not immediately able to confirm this.

Also kicking off this past weekend was a separate program in which those who buy certain PCs with Windows Vista can get a free (or nearly free) copy of Windows 7, once the new operating system is available.

Amazon Pricing Only:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium = $199.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade = $49.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional = $299.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Upgrade = $99.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate = $319.99

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Upgrade = $219.99

Source: CNET News
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 07-02-2009 at 06:48 PM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Dean141's Avatar Razer
    I wonder if it will be fully cracked by the time it comes out

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean141 View Post
    I wonder if it will be fully cracked by the time it comes out
    probably not. Vista launched its rtm in late 06. Shortly after there was a crack that froze the activation countdown clock. Months later, Paradox released it's activation crack for 32bit only, and it had stability problems. Then a few months after that there was the softmod which actually worked really well.

That said, I think it will be a several months before there's a good activation crack.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I say XP >>> ...
    Will get prolly Windows 7 by late 2010... when it gets rlz'd

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well at least you can use the RC till December, well 2 months after that, but those 2 months it will reboot every 2 hours. So, the RC is good 'till the end of the year basically and you will still get critical updates and optional updates to while your using it. At least it's Ultimate.
    [center]

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    mbucari1's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35BT Rep +35
    I think I'm gonna buy the professional upgrade. I don't need the ultimate features, and can't even use the bitlocker feature cuz I don't have a TCM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    manu1991's Avatar Ancient Philospher BT Rep: +3
    Scene Pricing

Windows 7 OMG LOLZ WTF edition - Free

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    yeah, if you want to wait months for a viable crack to be released.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    The Flying Cow's Avatar windowlicker BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    How does this "upgrade" mishigas work? Do you have to supply proof of a previous legit Windows version to upgrade from?

BTW, is Home so much worse than Professional? Where is Professional worth the extra dough?

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Quote Originally Posted by manu1991 View Post
    Scene Pricing

Windows 7 OMG LOLZ WTF edition - Free
    My OS is something I've always felt was worth paying for. If for nothing else other than peace of mind. Especially an initial releases like Win7 where you'll be wanting to make sure you obtain updates as they are released.

I can understand downloading something that is as stable as say:

Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP3.Integrated.June.2009.Corporate-UP2DATE

...but not a new OS.

Alternatively, does anyone know what the main differences are in the three versions?
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-03-2009 at 01:50 PM.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast