Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour de France 2009

IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Anyone a cycling fan?

Looks like it could be interesting with no clear favorite going in and ending with a mountain instead of a TT.
    Of course Astana is stacked with quality stage racers but that in itself may prove to be their undoing if their professionalism doesn't allow them to keep their egos in check ( also not many big bodies to pull on the flats).

I really like the way that Andy Schleck and Sastre aren't afraid of attacking but of course that is more by necessity than anything.Still hope they both do well.

Contador certainly seems on form and rode one hell of a ITT ( Cancellara is unwordly.To take that kind of time on the descent when everyone is going so fast was ,if not unexpected , still unbelievable)

For now though it's just sit back and see if anyone has the legs to challenge Cavendish.

Oops almost forgot some guy named Armstrong is back too.
    Hope he doesn't embarrass himself.

2. Sports Club   -   #2
    I'm creating a dupe account just so I can talk to myself about this.

3. Sports Club   -   #3
    swizZ8's Avatar pure hatred BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    Armstrong is back?! Well, then i have to watch it, maybe a little lol

4. Sports Club   -   #4
    Thanks for humouring me.

Btw Armstrong is a dick.True story.

5. Sports Club   -   #5
    swizZ8's Avatar pure hatred BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    hahaha, didnt expect that coming

6. Sports Club   -   #6
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I'm creating a dupe account just so I can talk to myself about this.

I'm not too much into cycling, but I watched two days of the event when I was away visiting some relatives earlier this week.

I had no idea who's good and who's not, but the landscapes were beautiful.

Also it's very relaxing watching others work when you do nothing yourself.

7. Sports Club   -   #7
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Not really a cycling fan, but I know how much effort goes into training and then participating in such races. Props to these people.

PS: go Lance!!
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

8. Sports Club   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post

Some of nicest scenery that you will see any place and the poor riders ( and the support crews ) because of the constant concentration required barely get to see hardly any of it.

Speaking from somewhat similar experience, if there is a scantily- clad , exceptionally good looking woman at the roadside it has to be really life an death before anyone misses that though.

Btw it's the third biggest sporting event in the world after the Olympics and the World Cup .And by far the biggest free one.
    True story.

Also of interest all the guys on motorcycles are champions at that sport .
    It has to be that way because of the physics involved. Even an average descender could easily ride away from just about any motorized vehicle in the world.
    You would be amazed the skill that is required to keep up with a pro cyclist on a descent.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-11-2009 at 08:41 PM.

9. Sports Club   -   #9
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zip View Post

Some of nicest scenery that you will see any place and the poor riders ( and the support crews ) because of the constant concentration required barely get to see hardly any of it.

Speaking from somewhat similar experience, if there is a scantily- clad , exceptionally good looking woman at the roadside it has to be really life an death before anyone misses that though.

Btw it's the third biggest sporting event in the world after the Olympics and the World Cup .And by far the biggest free one.
    True story.

Also of interest all the guys on motorcycles are champions at that sport .
    It has to be that way because of the physics involved. Even an average descender could easily ride away from just about any motorized vehicle in the world.
    You would be amazed the skill that is required to keep up with a pro cyclist on a descent.
    Having done some cycling (not for many, many years, though) I will concur...on the rare occasion I'd find some decent hills, I always wished I had some absurdly high ratios to push, even considering how easily things can go horribly bad.

Got me a speeding ticket on a bicycle once - 65mph in a 35mph zone.

Fucking cop with nothing better to do.

Anyway...why the animus for old Lance?

It seems you want to be asked.

I find it unfortunate the doping question cannot currently be definitively answered, given the advances in the art of obfuscation.
    Last edited by j2k4; 07-13-2009 at 01:03 AM.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

10. Sports Club   -   #10
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post

Anyway...why the animus for old Lance?

It seems you want to be asked.

I find it unfortunate the doping question cannot currently be definitively answered, given the advances in the art of obfuscation.

Mostly deserting the wife and kids thing.No doubt she expected him to be more present than his commitments allowed but still I thought that his quick rebound into Sheryl Crowe's arms was a bit in bad taste.
    To add the icing to the cake he then up and deserts Crowe while she is battling breast cancer.

Of course he's also got an ego the size of Texas but that is only a minor annoyance because really it's basically a prerequisite for success at the highest levels of athletics.( Rare is the person who doesn't believe that they are destined to win who is actually capable of it).

Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    Having done some cycling (not for many, many years, though) I will concur...on the rare occasion I'd find some decent hills, I always wished I had some absurdly high ratios to push, even considering how easily things can go horribly bad.

Got me a speeding ticket on a bicycle once - 65mph in a 35mph zone.

Fucking cop with nothing better to do.
    Pro or no pro 65 mph on a bike is pretty fast in anyone's book.
    Not to many hills long,steep and straight enough to get up that kind of speed. and just a couple of centimetres of rubber between you and oblivion.
    Nice.

The way that I view you just forever changed.
    Last edited by IdolEyes787; 07-13-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast