Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newbie questions

This is the first time I've tried usenet so please excuse my stupid questions. I just bought a giganews premium subscription and got my login info working with grabit (a client suggested on these forums).

questions...

1. giganews just provides a way for me to download content, not search content, is this correct?
    2. i've been using a site called nzbindex to download and import nzb files into grabit, then the files go through my batch and download...is this the best way to go about downloading?
    3. what if instead of searching for specific files, i want to browse. is there a nzb indexer that most people prefer?
    4. if im using nzbindex to download, then why does my retention length with giganews matter?

thanks!!

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    newsgroupie
    Quote Originally Posted by rabble1 View Post
    This is the first time I've tried usenet so please excuse my stupid questions. I just bought a giganews premium subscription and got my login info working with grabit (a client suggested on these forums).

questions...

1. giganews just provides a way for me to download content, not search content, is this correct?
    2. i've been using a site called nzbindex to download and import nzb files into grabit, then the files go through my batch and download...is this the best way to go about downloading?
    3. what if instead of searching for specific files, i want to browse. is there a nzb indexer that most people prefer?
    4. if im using nzbindex to download, then why does my retention length with giganews matter?
    1. Correct. A few other providers (like Hitnews) offer Xpat, which is a search feature.

2.It is one of three ways. These are: 1. headers. 2. search engines (like NZBindex) 3. index sites (like FilesharingTalk)

3. I like www.Binsearch.info for browsing groups posts. Newzbin.com is excellent for browsing a wide variety of file categories for verified content.

4. Search engines try to match or exceed retention of the biggest news providers (which are currently Giganews, Astraweb, and Highwinds) Giganews retention is currently 334 days (per website) while NZBindex searches 350 days of headers. Obviously a NZB file of 350-day-old articles would be too old to download from giganews since the files are no longer on their servers.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    why do people upload movies split into 2 CD's? it seems that most people have DVD burners now or just watch these movies on their computers.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by zot View Post
    2.It is one of three ways. These are: 1. headers. 2. search engines (like NZBindex) 3. index sites (like FilesharingTalk)
    Is NZBindex not an index too? Users there submit the NZBs. A search engine would be something like binsearch, newzleech etc. I think NZB indexes are useless anyway, nothing on them you can't find on a on sites like binsearch
    Last edited by UsenetGuy; 07-07-2009 at 10:47 AM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Now I'm really confused; I paid for premium access which is unlimited. However, the nzb index content I downloaded is now, after downloading about 10gb of stuff, refusing to complete saying "has exceeded monthly bandwidth limits."

I thought I had unlimited accss?

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Well, common sense would tell me to look at my online bank statement and see how much Giganews charged my account. If it was only $7.99 then I might have signed up for the wrong plan on accident. If it was an amount that was consistent with an unlimited plan ($24.99/$29.99) I would email their customer support in an effort to fix their mistake.

That's just me though.
    Last edited by Skiz; 07-07-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: typo

yo

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Ah, their free trial had a bandwidth cap, since I went over my limit they shut me down - I now have the full premium subscription.

With one problem however; last night I was getting a full 700Kb/s rate. After I activated my premium sub and tried re-downloading, I now only get 180Kb/s. Is this a common issue with Comcast that any of you are aware of? I just want the download speeds I had last night...

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Where do you live?

yo

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    North central IN

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    It's possible that Comcast could be "throttling" your connection. I'd suggest Googling around or even calling them and simply asking. If you determine they are not, then try submitting a support email to Giganews.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast