Your Ad Here Your Ad Here
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Google Operating System

  1. #1
    peat moss's Avatar Software Farmer BT Rep: +15BT Rep +15BT Rep +15
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Delta B.C. Canada
    Posts
    10,816
    Google Operating System
    July 8 , 09

    Are we ready for this ?




    Google Chrome has always been a little more than a browser: it's optimized for running web applications, each tab runs as a separate process, the interface is minimalistic and there's even a task manager. "We realized that the web had evolved from mainly simple text pages to rich, interactive applications and that we needed to completely rethink the browser. What we really needed was not just a browser, but also a modern platform for web pages and applications, and that's what we set out to build," said Google in September 2008.

    Source: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...ng-system.html

  2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,631
    I've been saying it was going to happen for years. It was just a matter of time.

    "The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel."

    I like the Linux aspect, but I'm not a fan of Chrome at all.

    I don't ever plan on owning a netbook either, so...



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land gurt by sea
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I've been saying it was going to happen for years. It was just a matter of time.

    "The software architecture is simple — Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel."

    I like the Linux aspect, but I'm not a fan of Chrome at all.

    I don't ever plan on owning a netbook either, so...
    You don't need a netbook to use Linux. Linux can be a highly lightweight platform (it even runs on PSP/iPhone etc). Stay away from KDE based distro's though.

    I've heard rumors of the Google OS, but always assumed it would be fan based (not by Google Inc.)

    EDIT: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goobuntu
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 07-09-2009 at 04:03 AM.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

  4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CO
    Age
    40
    Posts
    29,631
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    I've been saying it was going to happen for years. It was just a matter of time.

    "The software architecture is simple Google Chrome running within a new windowing system on top of a Linux kernel."

    I like the Linux aspect, but I'm not a fan of Chrome at all.

    I don't ever plan on owning a netbook either, so...
    You don't need a netbook to use Linux. Linux can be a highly lightweight platform (it even runs on PSP/iPhone etc).
    I know that. I run a dual boot system with Ubuntu and have another computer running solely Mint Gloria 7.

    Maybe you didn't read the article that this thread is about but the "Google OS" is intended for netbooks, and was created with them in mind.

    Give the article a read; it's only four short paragraphs.



    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    The FST Last.fm group

  5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land gurt by sea
    Posts
    9,192
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

  6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Age
    39
    Posts
    897
    cool, I will look forward to trying an OS from google

  7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Land gurt by sea
    Posts
    9,192
    Quote Originally Posted by turin View Post
    cool, I will look forward to trying an OS from google
    Didn't take much to get persuade you, did it?
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

  8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    320
    I'm skeptical, but I hope they'll make a good one.

  9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    xuxoxux's Avatar Reader BT Rep: +4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    236
    Meh, I will try it out, but I can't see myself moving from my windows/ubuntu system any time soon. Plus Google OS is intended for people who surf the iNet and basically have all they need online. This is a downer for me, as I do care more about applications that are NOT run on the web.

  10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    turin's Avatar Turambar BT Rep: +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40BT Rep +40
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Middle-earth
    Age
    39
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by turin View Post
    cool, I will look forward to trying an OS from google
    Didn't take much to get persuade you, did it?
    I'm quit impressed with what google has made. So an OS from google will exiting to try out :-)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •