Thread: Making A Switch To Linux (maybe)

I have Redhat linux installled and finally i figured out how to install my drivers for my geforce4.
    I was just wondering, If i install winex to still be able to run win32 apps, how do the new Directx9 games run or are they not supported by winex yet?

Their is a linux forum i ask some Q's on but they dont explain things very well. If i get used to linux i will get rid of XP. I thought it would be cool to become a noob again and learn new stuff

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    it will probably not run them the same.. some bugs.. weird lag.. etc

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by Wolfmight@29 September 2003 - 18:35
    it will probably not run them the same.. some bugs.. weird lag.. etc
    Yep.

Is a damn shame as long as wine has been under development they still cant code a decent, "stable" emulator.

No matter what type of wine you get its really only been proven to run a "very" limited number of apps.

http://www.winehq.com/site/supported_applications

although it can run way more apps than that, they often crash your system or are very unstable.

If Im not mistaked winex is for games. Its just another rip off like codeweavers. They take a regular wine version and load it with a bunch of crap and say it runs good and its stable. And of course you have to buy that shit.

I hate businesses that take opensource software and say theyve made it better just so they can redistribute it for a profit.

I dont game so I cant say that winex is 100% like that but Im 99% sure it works just as good as any other wine emulator, which really means it doesnt work at all

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Yeah i thought it would be different o use linux but if wine is going to run my games shit then i think illl just stick to windows

It really sux how they make you subscribe to be able to download the precompiled version of winex.

They dont even offer a small demo and i dont know how to compile source. I tried a while ago and i couldnt get it to work and i almost smashed my computer because i was getting pissed off.

Now that i think of it, thats why i stopped using linux for a while

I just downloaded a Divx player for linux from divx.com and i try run in terminal to install it and what do i get?? a bunch of bloody errors and it doesnt install.

I might just download another linux distro see how that goes.

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Wolfmight's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    u said.. if wine is going to play your games.. you will go back to windows?
    wha?

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    No i said if wine is going to run my games shit ill stick with windows.

Did you think i meant it like if wine is gonna play my games well shit, ill just stick with windows ?? lol

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    4play's Avatar knob jockey
    No i said if wine is going to run my games shit ill stick with windows
    you mean if the games run badly then your gonna stick with windows right

last time i used wine it sucked ass. the only thing i have ever got it to work with was croclips. and the saved file was useless when i tried to use it in wondows.

stick with windows for games.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    shn's Avatar Ð3ƒμ|\|(7
    Originally posted by neattairoski@29 September 2003 - 20:13
    Yeah i thought it would be different o use linux but if wine is going to run my games shit then i think illl just stick to windows

It really sux how they make you subscribe to be able to download the precompiled version of winex.

They dont even offer a small demo and i dont know how to compile source. I tried a while ago and i couldnt get it to work and i almost smashed my computer because i was getting pissed off.

Now that i think of it, thats why i stopped using linux for a while

I just downloaded a Divx player for linux from divx.com and i try run in terminal to install it and what do i get?? a bunch of bloody errors and it doesnt install.

I might just download another linux distro see how that goes.
    Red hat is a very good distro.

The thing is people loose faith or interest in linux because they run these 3rd party software programs that are still under development. And then when it crashes or messes up their system they blame linux instead of blaming the crappy software that they took upon their own initiative to install in the first place.

The key word is development. If people just have a bit patience, let the developers do their work then before you know it there will be a fully functional, stable version of whatever app your seeking for linux.

Btw, there is no divx player for linux. What you get from divx.com is only the divx codec.

Mplayer, and xine are pretty much the media players in linux that play anything from asf, mpeg, xvid, divx, avi, etc. Provided you have the proper codecs installed.

Although there are other media players, they only play one type of file generally.