Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has it become cool to cash in on piracy?

sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Here's one for you,and am not talking about the chinese silvers,theirs is a complex story that is more along the lines of organised crime.

Of late i've noticed an evolution of thoughts amongst some pirates and if anything,i think this paradigm shift appears to have left me behind.There used to be a time when the general concencus was that as pirates we were doing it for the love of it and because intellectual property was too much of a dickhole concept to grasp.

I know that these OG pirates are still around no doubt.Any press distributor who wakes up at devilish hours to scan magazines and newspapers just that they are made available for the sleeping reading masses the next morning for free definitely deserves a little more respect,there are other countless examples that you can compare to this.

Now that's the supplier's side of things.The guy who does all the hardwork,possibly even spent some of his money in the process and as pissed as his kind may be his hardwork eventually trickles down to P2P.

Some of these P2P sites are great,some have been around for a while now and i have no doubt that it takes more than just hardwork to build a successful site but perhaps what i don't get is upto what extent this success should be allowed to reach.

Like are we cool with the idea that its ok to cash in on piracy?i mean,these people deserve something for all the hardwork they put in building their empires,right?but isn't this exactly the type of thing that separates piracy from theft?
    Have we lost the difference between the two?do we even care?is the donate function a facade for other things,specifically in sites that are more than self sufficient to get rid of it for at least sometime?

discuss/answer any that you feel comfortable with.

pm me if you'z looking for a fight.
    Last edited by sez; 07-29-2009 at 02:00 PM. Reason: BB code

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    how about one of the big sites send you their server bill?

I sure you would want some help the community also

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    i understand what you're saying and about which site.
    can't pm you here as you have disabled pms.

name me some tracker where u are so i can send u a message, or go to xtremesystems.org and pm me, i have the same nick as here.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post

name me some tracker where u are so i can send u a message, or go to xtremesystems.org and pm me, i have the same nick as here.
    link me to your demonoid

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I've seen discussions about this. Basically if a site has a lottery and the winner gets an xbox 360 that theree tells you that they're earning something by doing it. And that something is not a little.

there are still people that do it for the fun of it, the filesharing spirit etc.. It might be hard to track them down, though as they stay away from these huge 0day torrent sites.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    Cabalo's Avatar FileSharingTalker BT Rep: +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24BT Rep +24
    Quote Originally Posted by sez View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cabalo View Post

link me to your demonoid
    good idea

Last edited by Cabalo; 07-30-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: removed link .

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    The simple fact is though, it is getting harder and harder to get the donations in, that is why darkside went down.

I made a post the other day with regards of % of people in TL going down a list of trackers and how many in those trackers are in TL as well. (TL s just an example btw)

Lets say you have 2 trackers.

1 offers 200gig for £10 and promotes you to VIP for 3 months, and lets you hit and run (so you keep paying the £10 every 3 months).

or another where you get a poxy star for your donation.

Where will the vast majority donate to? it wont be the only star one thats for sure.

I do not like P2L, but we have to offer something, and with the recession atm, its even harder to get the donations.

Now I am not saying I am going to close BCG any time soon, we are pretty much OK because we have a good community that do donate, even if most is 50p each it all adds up everntually. But if we never offered anyything, we would be dead in the water, I should know, i tried it.

Ads brought in about $60 a month
    0 benefits about the same. (different months btw, I stopped taking donations to try the ads).

If you think it is easy to keep a tracker running, then by all means start one off, but it pisses me off when members that do not know what they are talking about, get on their high horse and complain about shit they know very little about, just to stir the waters so to speak.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by stoi View Post
    If you think it is easy to keep a tracker running, then by all means start one off, but it pisses me off when members that do not know what they are talking about, get on their high horse and complain about shit they know very little about, just to stir the waters so to speak.
    Was this aimed at me? Because I never said it was easy to run a tracker.

I merely said that there are trackers out there that are being managed as if they were firms. They have one goal: profit=max. The cause justifies the means.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    stoi's Avatar BCG Owner BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    no you didnt, you said that if they have a prize draw, they are making money.

maybe they have a prize draw as a way of saying thanks to the donators that did donate, and to give something back, even if its just to 1 of them.

PS: this is what makes me laugh though.

TPB, Mininova, BTJunkie, ISOhunt 3 of these have not even got trackers associated with them.

They have a ton of ads, they get millions of hits a day, 2 cents per impression = a shit load of cash every day, never mind a month or a year.

2 million hits a day 50% use adblock = 1million views of ads, * 2cents each = $20,000 a day just off 1 ad, have 5 ads and thats $100.000 a day.

and they are lorded as gods.

A private tracker only has a donation button, and a few benefits here and there, and maybe a prize draw, and a few mass PMs, and they are the scum of the earth.

doesnt make sense.

Its like users see a donation button and think, making a fortune, they see ads and think, eww ads, not making even more cash than a donation button.

Only way we can keep these trackers going is through donations, page views dont do us any good, but those trackers i just mentioned, they dont need donations, as long as people keep coming to the site, which they will, they will keep on making money. Honestly some people are just thick as 2 short planks. (not mentioning any names though lol)
    Last edited by stoi; 07-29-2009 at 05:43 PM.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    $I don't care whether people make money off of piracy$

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast