Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: windows 7 is the best way today ?

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I haven't gotten a single BSOD on it yet. I believe there are issues with memory leaks on RTM if you're using that.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    I'm using the build 7600.16385 x64- which I believe is the RTM- and don't have "memory leaks".
    I checked Sprocket's Depends and it was totally dry.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    I think all the new operating systems such as Vista and 7 are good at loading up faster. Other than that they are crap compared to xp

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24
    clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by commpers View Post
    I think all the new operating systems such as Vista and 7 are good at loading up faster. Other than that they are crap compared to xp
    Explain please.

Bonus points for avoiding the terms "bloat", "eye candy" and "Sasquatch".
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by commpers View Post
    Explain please.

Bonus points for avoiding the terms "bloat", "eye candy" and "Sasquatch".
    I must agree with my friend.

Took me a long time to make peace with anything other than XP, and I had to buy/build/equip four other computers to pull that off.

I think I may even be persuaded to pay for my first edition of Win7 Ultimate.

I will, of course, entertain other options...
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    I'm still using the RC1 and I absolutely love it. Massive upgrade from Vista in my eyes.

I've only had one issue on my Asus laptop and it's not exactly debilitating, just an annoyance. My eSata port seems to be very finicky about recognizing an external hd, sometimes it will load after a few tries and other times it won't recognize at all.

Other than the eSata issue of which I'm sure there is already a fix or will be soon, I couldn't be happier. I might actually go out and buy the OS this time around.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    Can't wait until I'm done downloading it. I wanna see just how good Win7 is.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    GamesoulMaster's Avatar n00b
    In my own experience, I am quite pleased with how Win7 runs (still using build 7100). It had drivers readily available for all the hardware in my computer (including my 802.11g USB dongle that WinXP has horrible problems with), and it discovers and installs drivers for devices faster than WinXP.

Even on RC, I've seen very few problems (most annoying is how right-clicking an item that isn't already selected, sometimes fails to select the device and acts as if I'm right-clicking the background instead).

I won't say that Vista is horrible (yeah, it has its problems, but it's not *that* bad in its current state), but Win7 is certainly a nice upgrade (more user-friendly is one thought, and more efficient of course).

Back when WinXP came out, I had refused to upgrade from Win2k. I dealt with Win95, became an expert with Win98 (loved it, but had to reinstall a lot), and found my home on Win2k. But WinXP... I wouldn't even touch it until SP2 came out (and even then, it was more because of compatibility trends than anything else that pushed me to switch).

But Win7... I was much more impressed than I thought I'd be (especially after trying Vista when *it* first came out). Retail is obviously going to be better than the RC, and I'm obviously very happy with the RC.

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by GamesoulMaster View Post
    most annoying is how right-clicking an item that isn't already selected, sometimes fails to select the device and acts as if I'm right-clicking the background instead
    I thought it was just me!
    It does that to me too, at completely random times.
    You'll be happy to hear that Vista did it too, so it's unlikely to get fixed.

I just did some tests and I think this i show it happens.
    When you hover over an item it highlights in light blue color.
    This happens whether you're on top of the icon, ontop of the text, or even on a blank area near the item.
    Clicking any part of the light blue highlighted area will always highlight it.
    It is now highlighted in a darker blue.
    Right-clicking any part of the dark blue highlighted area will always bring up the context menu for that item.
    Hovering a different item causes it to highlight in light blue.
    Right-clicking that hovered item (unselected) on the icon or text will bring up the context menu for that item.
    Right-clicking that hovered item (unselected) in a blank area will bring up the context menu for the background.

This is unexpected behavior. If you've got the light blue highlight on an item then you expect any clicks to associate with that item, since they do when left-clicking, but they don't with right-clicking.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    GamesoulMaster's Avatar n00b
    I didn't know it did that in Vista. At least it's not a new bug then (though as you say, seems unlikely to be fixed, at least anytime soon). Nice investigating on the cause though... lol. I never bothered to really try and see how it happens, but now that you mention it, maybe I'll look into it and see about changing how I do things a bit so it doesn't happen to me...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast