Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: windows 7 is the best way today ?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Last week I had to do a full install of XP for a neighbor.
    Compared to a Win7 install on my personal PC (which has far more hardware and a more complex disk setup), the XP experience was much slower and even almost painful when faced with gathering and installing all the necessary drivers required to make even her rudimentary PC operable.

People who claim that XP>Win7 are, IMO, being willfully retro and static.
    There is no comparison.
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. Software & Hardware   -   #32
    GamesoulMaster's Avatar n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by clocker View Post
    People who claim that XP>Win7 are, IMO, being willfully retro and static.
    There is no comparison.
    That is where I have to agree the most. Unless you're running really old hardware, Win7 seems to be the new king. I have all graphics settings up to the max, which is something I had first done to see how it would impact my computer. And they stayed that way because I didn't see any slowdowns with it. Set that way, my games still run about as fast as WinXP (though in a couple games, I notice what is literally just a couple FPS loss).

I installed RC1 on my friend's fresh-bought PC (lowest-end, with single-core CPU, 1 GB RAM, etc) as the only OS, because I was that confident that he'd have no problems with it. It's over a month later now, and after using WinXP for years, he has yet to give a single complaint about Win7.

Only reason I still dual-boot between WinXP and Win7 is because I have so many things installed on WinXP that would literally take days to reinstall on Win7, so I'm waiting until I can install a final version of Win7 before I make that huge transfer over.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #33
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Installed the MSDN RTM Professional version yesterday, for someone else (it was from my account, but I've already got a paid for upgrade from my current Vista, come october).

All I can say thus far it's that it feels more or less like Vista but with some new GUI upgrades. I've not had any issues with Vista thus far (beyond the sometimes idiotic UAC), though, so that's by no means bad.

The one difference I've seen, performance-wise, is that the install was a lot faster. Which may be related to what hardware I installed it on. Wholly different chipsets, processors and drives, although with comparable hardware for the most part.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234