Thread: Microsoft Kills Windows 7 E Editions

Microsoft Kills Windows 7 E Editions
    Aug 01 2009, 03:41 AM

Microsoft:
    In the wake of last week's developments, as well as continuing feedback on Windows 7 E that we have received from computer manufacturers and other business partners, I'm pleased to report that we will ship the same version of Windows 7 in Europe in October that we will ship in the rest of the world.

One reason we decided not to ship Windows 7 'E' is concerns raised by computer manufacturers and partners. Several worried about the complexity of changing the version of Windows that we ship in Europe if our ballot screen proposal is ultimately accepted by the Commission and we stop selling Windows 7 'E'. Computer manufacturers and our partners also warned that introducing Windows 7 'E', only to later replace it with a version of Windows 7 that includes IE, could confuse consumers about what version of Windows to buy with their PCs.

CNET Adds:
    Those who pre-ordered Windows 7 "E" through a recent discount offer will get the full version, as Microsoft had promised. However, Microsoft plans to now sell Windows 7 upgrades in Europe and also offer a higher-priced full version (for those without an earlier copy of Windows) - similar to what it is doing in the rest of the world.

Source: Paul Thurrot's Supersite For Windows | Windows 7 Blog
    Last edited by lynx; 08-02-2009 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Corrected link

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    What does that mean to us that have paid £50 for windows 7 without IE

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    they ve certainly put their heads together on this one!

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    I thought they took out IE to please the EU hippies?

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by kaisky View Post
    What does that mean to us that have paid £50 for windows 7 without IE
    "Those who pre-ordered Windows 7 "E" through a recent discount offer will get the full version, as Microsoft had promised."

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    In June the EC declared, consumers should be offered a choice of browser, not that Windows should be supplied without a browser at all.

As things currently stand, Microsoft plans to update Windows 7 PCs "shortly after" they have been set up by the user. A "consumer ballot software program" will be sent over the interwebs to the user who will be presented with a list of other browsers that can be installed on the PC as an alternative to IE.

Redmond is keen to get the EC to adopt this method, so much so that if Brussels approves the latest proposal it will additionally update Windows XP and Windows Vista machines throughout Europe with the consumer ballot screen.
    Microsoft's Proposed Windows Browser Ballot Screen

Source: The Register - 3rd August 2009 10:22 GMT

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    Poster
    To Tom 0102, didn't anyone tell you Britain is part of the EU that's why it says European Union on your passport

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminamsterdam View Post
    To Tom0102, didn't anyone tell you Britain is part of the EU that's why it says European Union on your passport
    What the smeg you on about. I was merely saying i thought Internet Explorer was taken out 'cos the officials at the European Union in Brussels had a long-running tangle with MS and that I was voicing my opinion that it seemed odd they may include it anyway. That elaborated enough for you?