Thread: HD noob in need of advice...

UncleElroy's Avatar Poster
    Hi all, I've been very lucky lately and won a 40" Samsung in work. Yeah I know i'm a jammy bastard In the past I have been using XBMC on an orignal xbox to watch movies but want to make the leap to HD movies to see what the story is and get the best from the TV.

I'm been using rapidshare to get most my movies but the bluray ones are massive and rapidshare are getting strict only 5gb a day. I got a 3 day account with www.usenetserver.com and will be giving that a go today once I set it up - got a link from here with all the details.

If the newsgroups thing works out to be good I'm gonna pick up a popcorn c200 so I can download directly to it and watch my HD movies, but I my main question is what rips should I be going for ?

1080p are like 13gb + and will raise some eyebrows from my ISP plus I only have a 10mb connection.

What other rips can I go for a still get decent HD quality on my TV ?

Cheers for all your help

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    720p is good enough. That's what I download. Good compromise between quality and size. Though to be honest I can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on my tv anyway.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    UncleElroy's Avatar Poster
    Cheers tesco, i'm gonna give one a download a see how it goes. Proof is in the watching