Thread: Win 7 - how do you handle your codecs?

I've ordered myself a nice HTPC which will be arriving tomorrow. I've got the latest Win 7 beta I plan on installing and I want to make sure I get my codecs right on the first try, as I've found that some codec packs can be very difficult to uninstall.

Presently on my XP install I'm using CCC + MPC. It works, but I always have trouble with WMV files; when opened with MPC or VLC, they are simply un-viewable. I have a serious suspicion it has something to do with CCC.

So, those of you that have a huge variety of video files, what codecs do you use on Windows 7 and which player have you found to be the best? Thanks!

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    if specs of your pc arent that good... and you plan on watching 1080p movies, first install CoreAVC.

then klite:
    http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm
    use MPC to watch stuff..

after installing klite, install Cyberlink PowerDVD for Dvds.
    Last edited by colt45joe; 08-04-2009 at 08:11 PM.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    I'll have a Radeon HD 4770, 4GB ram, and a X2 245 Regor 2.9GHz; so it's a pretty powerful build I've ordered.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    dadelor's Avatar Supercalafragalistic BT Rep: +4
    Windows 7 unlike XP has alot codecs pre-installed, Im running windows 7 and havent installed any codecs and i havent had a problem playing a video yet. It would probably depend if you're gonna be watching .mkv videos or other high quality formats

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by dadelor View Post
    Windows 7 unlike XP has alot codecs pre-installed, Im running windows 7 and havent installed any codecs and i havent had a problem playing a video yet. It would probably depend if you're gonna be watching .mkv videos or other high quality formats
    It doesn't have an xvid codec pre-installed from what I recall...had to install it after reformatting.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    No the RTM does have XviD I think, played all my movies so far in Media Center, and no "external" codecs installed, besides Gomplayer just incase MPC didn't play them.
    [center]

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Retired
    check codecguide.com site has a tool for configuring preferred filters in Windows 7