Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are some people just defective?

The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by th0r View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme
    A lot of the "old timers" around here have gotten skeptical
    like whom? i haven't seen an old timers around here in months
    For the OP old timer might mean something else than to you. He prolly doesn't realise that this site is 7 years old afaik.

Anyway to the problem at hand. IMO a large percentage of traders do it because of the language barrier. For some people learning and improving their language skills is hard. For me it's easy and fun, but I've helped people with such problems in my country and most of you here can't imagine the amounts of effort they put into improving it.

stoi once mantioned that people from Egypt for example are used to haggle for everything. That might be a factor also.

As for cheating, a lot of people I know in RL that are torrenters consider it something natural.
    Last edited by The_Martinator; 08-11-2009 at 08:20 AM.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

2. BitTorrent   -   #22
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Yeah, from my nOOb eyes everyone with over 4 stars is an "old timer".

I am mainly referring to the 15 or so people who seem to stand out and and have been around. Was there a mass exodus at some point or have people moved on gradually?

I have heard Egypt mentioned specifically as a problem. TBy banned the country. They just got tired of cheaters. One of the mods speculated that it might be a cultural difference. He was quite certain he did not want them back.

My original post explains how I see things. I am still struggling with my question the same way I have difficulties understanding why people won't work hard for a better life, stop excessive drugs/alcohol, or generally give up on life.

I have another discussion going on this site and the people posting there seem to feel that file-sharing is a form of theft. Perhaps it is this underlying thought that makes people disrespect the community and perhaps attracts some of its less than desirable "characters".

I disagree. I look at this a a community that has stepped outside of Capitalism. No one is rich or poor. There is nothing cool or exotic about a $10k copy of Maya or the latest UFC. Value comes from how people use the tools. Do they discuss the shows in forums? Do they actually know how to use that copy of Maya? Can they help someone else with a problem? There is no scarcity. No need for hoarding, greed, cheating. Why do that to a community where everything is free?
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

3. BitTorrent   -   #23
    NA_Magus's Avatar ヽ(゜▽、゜)ノ
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Yeah, from my nOOb eyes everyone with over 4 stars is an "old timer".

I am mainly referring to the 15 or so people who seem to stand out and and have been around. Was there a mass exodus at some point or have people moved on gradually?
    4 stars worth of posts only takes weeks to accomplish from what I've seen.
    (and me, years.)

---

A lot of the trading and dishonesty strongly correlates with cultural backgrounds. Of the people I know IRL, they don't care much for seeding but don't cheat. They just don't care about any of the torrent ethics and affairds, nor do they really have to.
    Last edited by NA_Magus; 08-11-2009 at 12:47 PM.

4. BitTorrent   -   #24
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    ppl like me sure are defective.. :wink:
    anyway, megabyteme gratz for ya know what!

5. BitTorrent   -   #25
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    And well deserved I might add.

6. BitTorrent   -   #26
    yea.. guess i gotta agree.. :wink:
    he was bound to get noticed wid those essays and philosophically inclined posts

7. BitTorrent   -   #27
    Nemrod's Avatar Buffering my life BT Rep: +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45BT Rep +45
    And well deserved I might add.

I Agree.

8. BitTorrent   -   #28
    Poster BT Rep: +5
    Indeed, welcome megabyteme. Dont know you, but you seem to be able to put thought into your posts, which is always needed to fill in the gaps between the spam threads (official or otherwise)
    DO NOT PM me 4 invites thanks

9. BitTorrent   -   #29
    Quote Originally Posted by That1Guy View Post
    Indeed, welcome megabyteme. Dont know you, but you seem to be able to put thought into your posts, which is always needed to fill in the gaps between the spam threads (official or otherwise)
    yea.. that comes in handy when ya have a lot too say and you don't chat on IRCs..

10. BitTorrent   -   #30
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Thanks guys! I appear to be in VERY good company!
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast