Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are some people just defective?

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    A lot of the "old timers" around here have gotten skeptical about people who have "made mistakes" in the past and the ability of those people to start acting like "good" members of the community.

In other threads, I have tried to defend these people and the possibility of redemption (at least in terms of this community). I am still not ready to abandon people who have made mistakes, I probably never will. If I can help someone be a better member of the community, then I will certainly do my best. All I need is some shred of proof that they are truly making an effort. I don't even expect great results- if my efforts were to help, say, 1 in 5 people I think it would be worth the effort. Maybe I am a nOOb, an idealist, or maybe just a fool...

Anyway, I would not be here if I did not believe I could ultimately do some good. I like this community, its people and its rewards. Other than an insatiable desire for thought-provoking conversation and good friends, my needs have been met. Seriously- I grab True Blood every Sunday. It was available on 3 of my trackers at the same time! About an hour later, the HD version was available. Most other media is distributed in the same manner.

There seems to be an element in every group, community, city, country, etc., however, that cannot, to save their lives, just be an honest, respectable member of that group. Sometimes I understand why the cynics are the way they are.

So what is it with these people who have been banned from every tracker that they have ever been on, who get involved in trading, cannot follow a single rule of a site or show simple respect/appreciation to someone who helped them? Is there some kind of social defect? Do they not know how to be part of a community? I might be able to understand if we were sharing finite, tangible resources, but what we have here is infinitely reproducible. There will never be a shortage of any kind!

And really...of all the communities one could join, the requirements here are very, very minimal...seed back what you take...don't trade...don't cheat the tracker (how stupid is that one?)...don't spam or flame...respect the mods. There really isn't that much more. Those are the basics- how about the "advanced" stuff? make some posts that don't involve requests...help your fellow members with their questions...read the news section and make some comments...don't lie or deceive someone who is trying to help you!!!

Like I said, I am not ready to give up. Actually, my post have resulted in some very nice PM's. Ultimately, that type of response has made my efforts worthwhile. And I will never know if I have helped new members be more responsible from the start.

I would just like to know what is at the core of the people who just don't understand community. This is the ultimate in a "giving" group- the rewards outweigh the costs exponentially. Someone who is "connected" in this community literally has access to all forms of digital media, past, present, and future. Is it asking so much for these people to follow the minuscule rules of conduct around here?

And, please, don't get me wrong- I do not feel like Atlas. I have only been here a few months and I know that I will never do as much for this community as some of the "old timers" have. This is a great community and it would not be nearly as good without those members. Mostly, I am just looking for some insight that people have gained over the years as they have seen nOObs, scammers, liars, cheats, etc. and hundreds, if not thousands, of good members come and go.

End of (mild) rant.

MBM
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Autism imo.

Honestly though, I believe it has all and everything to do with levels. Levels, levels, and more levels. That WTAW thread should seriously be removed.

I believe with a little bit of effort on sites such as demonoid or IPT, you can work your way up to TL. Great speeds and content, incredibly easy to seed. For the average user, you will never need more content than whats there. Maybe if you are particularly interested in certain content, you could find a niche tracker such as bmtv, bcg, whatever to fit your interest. But when people see WTAW threads and drool over sites such as UK-T, FTN, FTWR which they will probably never ever get in their lifetime, they turn to trading.

Trading results from being unable to access their "leet" and "rare" sites. Threads like WTAW overhype and glorify rare trackers, even when they may have less content and worse speeds than more common ones. In response, these leet sites cut off invites even more to combat traders and collectors, just exacerbating the problem even more.

As for cheaters, some people are just lazy. But it also has to do with this craze to get into higher trackers, where 99% of the users have seedboxes, and they don't know how to seed after coming off demonoid with a 500 ratio. What do they do then to download from their favorite rare tracker? Cheat =/

PS: It is very disheartening to spend a good couple of minutes thinking and typing out a post, only to submit it and see its only a fraction of the size of your massive post
    Last edited by Rart; 08-10-2009 at 02:55 PM.

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    I'm just voicing my opinion. If you think I'm wrong, explain why.

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Im glad you've contributed well to this thread.

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    ca_aok's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    This coming from the moron who only wants trackers that are level 10. You're the exact sort of problematic user he discusses, a cheater, trader, and level seeker.

Once someone has traded, it's curtains for them as far as I'm concerned. They've already demonstrated they have no respect for tracker accounts or rules and only want invites so they can get ahead in the "levels".

Honestly, the high level trackers aren't anything worth drooling over. They're smaller communities, that's the only advantage. IRC channels where you can actually get to know people and small (if generally inactive) forums. There's always less content than a place like TL. These trackers are tailored for a specific sort of user, and if you haven't been invited then you aren't that sort of user.

My best advice to those of you who insist of level seeking is get active in IRC, as this is really the place where you meet folks that can help you. Forums are too stagnated and there's very little informal discussion going on, but obviously forum activity doesn't hurt. Torrent comments are also a good thing. Basically you get active and people will slowly reward you. Every single one of these "high level" sites was offered to me out of the blue, I never directly asked anyone for an invite. So yes, it does happen like that. However I know for a fact it's my IRC activity that got me into these sites because my inviters are all folks I'm friendly with in IRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by whatcdfan View Post
    u are somewhat fairer then the last occasions but still pal i give a damn to what u said and expect i really dont need anything from u or optimuscrime i get what i want coz u 2 guyes dont own bittorrent and i dont think i portrayed any image i wrote simple english and u are seems to be very good at making assumptions if someone is not a cheater and u assume he's a cheater and write what u wrote and when u are proven wrong who u think will owe an apology then barack obama????

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    curtanwoo's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by ca_aok View Post
    Honestly, the high level trackers aren't anything worth drooling over.
    This is very true. If you're mostly about content (i.e. downloading juarez) you don't have much to gain from a high level tracker.

I got into one that's considered pretty "high level" around here. What I realized was that it was hard as hell to keep a ratio, and they had less content available with less seeders and uploaded longer time after pre than my usual trackers. I couldn't find out how to remove my account so I simply removed the bookmark. I guess my account was removed automatically due to inactivity; I wouldn't bother checking.

High level only means hard to get into. Hard to get into in many cases also means less users. Less users means less content and less seeders.

I tend to aim for the middle ground. Many private trackers are great and do have content which I can't find anywhere else. These trackers aren't that hard to get into. So why the hell would I trade and risk my accounts? It doesn't make sense UNLESS you only do it for some other benefit besides actually using the account. Ergo they do it just to get a bigger epeen.

A bit off topic, but to answer OP: Yeah, they are douches and kids. Just ignore them and/or laugh at them. As much as I respect your anti-cynical stance, you also need to take into account that this is the internet. People might change due to peer pressure in real life and even then it's hard. On the internet we don't even have peer pressure, but instead we only type text messages to each other. I simply don't think it's worth thinking that much about. Just accept some people are like that and move on to more important stuff.

/curtanwoo

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    The answer is simple. We as humans are animals. We compete with one another. Would you rather get that average Mustang that has more km/h & horsepower and more widely available spare parts, or that Bentley that you rarely see, which relies on shock value?

That might have been a bad analogy, I'll stop now.
    Last edited by KushBlow; 08-10-2009 at 04:35 PM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    Greed isn't governed by any biological imperatives.

As for being skeptical, one can be a skeptic without resorting to
    cynicism .
    A cynic refuses to believe , a skeptic merely asks " show me"

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    one word:

lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    revtt and tl is n00bs...
    Quote Originally Posted by Swepsycho View Post
    i don`t use mozilla n00b...... is addon in internet exp...?

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    That's not a word.

Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast