Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10 Great Songs

CrumbCat's Avatar Cachaça or Cachaça
    Here they are. Hope they bring back some good memories for you.

Many of you may not yet have been born when these songs were recorded. You might want to give them a listen, as many of them will go down as some of the best music ever made.

Maybe some other Music Fans can add their lists to this topic and help expand everyones music knowledge.

Enjoy!

10 Great Songs From 1 Great Year:

The year....1976!

1. Peter Frampton - Something's Happening
    2. Eric Clapton - Hello Old Friend
    3. Queen - You're My Best Friend
    4. Boz Scaggs - It's Over
    5. Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
    6. Blue Oyster Cult - Don't Fear the Reaper**
    7. Boston - Foreplay/Long Time
    8. Brothers Johnson - I'll Be Good to You
    9. Bob Seger - Night Moves
    10. Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

**BEST OF SET!!

Artist: Blue Öyster Cult
    Album Title: Agents of Fortune
    Date of Release: May 1976
    Genre: Rock

Notes from All Music Guide:
    Nothing Blue Öyster Cult had produced previously prepared listeners for its infectious mid-tempo hit, "(Don't Fear) the Reaper," which propelled it into a higher commercial orbit and caused (or reflected) a change in the balance of power in the group. The song was written by guitarist Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser and was an indication that the band was now largely doing its own songwriting; co-producer Sandy Pearlman earned only one co-writing credit on the record, while drummer Albert Bouchard had five. Poetess Patti Smith, meanwhile, not only co-wrote two tracks, but also performed on one, "The Revenge of Vera Gemini." The result was a record much more in a pop-rock vein than the vaunted metal of the first three albums and BÖC's biggest hit ever. — William Ruhlmann

2. Music   -   #2

The year...1982

1. Men at Work - Who Can it Be Now**
    2. Asia - Only Time Will Tell
    3. XTC - Senses Working Overtime
    4. Translator - Everywhere That I'm Not
    5. Who - Athena
    6. Roxy Music - Avalon
    7. Dire Straits - Industrial Disease
    8. Huey Lewis & the News - Working for a Living
    9. Romeo Void - Never Say Never
    10. CSN - Southern Cross

**BEST OF SET!!

Artist: Men at Work
    Album Title: Business as Usual
    Date of Release: 1982

Business as Usual became a surprise international hit on the basis of "Who Can It Be Now?" and "Down Under," two excellent singles that merged straight-ahead pop/rock hooks with a quirky new wave production and an offbeat sense of humor. Colin Hay's keening vocals uncannily recall Sting, and the band's rhythmic pulse and phased guitars also bring to mind a bar band version of the Police. And that helps make the remainder of Business as Usual enjoyable. There's a fair amount of filler on the record, but "Be Good Johnny," "I Can See It In Your Eyes," and "Down by the Sea" are all fine new wave pop songs, making Business as Usual one of the more enjoyable mainstream-oriented efforts of the era. — Stephen Thomas Erlewine

3. Music   -   #3

The year....1985!

1. Chris Isaak - Dancin'
    2. Dire Straits - Ride Across the River**
    3. Tears for Fears - Shout
    4. Tom Waits - Union Square
    5. Bruce Springsteen - Dancing in the Dark
    6. Lone Justice - Ways to be Wicked
    7. John Mellencamp - Under the Boardwalk
    8. John Parr - St. Elmo's Fire
    9. Dream Academy - Life in a Northern Town
    10. Katrina & the Waves - Walking on Sunshine**

**Two-way tie for BEST OF SET!!

Artist: Dire Straits
    Album Title: Brothers in Arms
    Date of Release: May 1985

Brothers in Arms brought the atmospheric, jazz-rock inclinations of Love Over Gold into a pop setting, resulting in a surprise international best-seller. Of course, the success of Brothers in Arms was helped considerably by the clever computer-animated video for "Money for Nothing," a sardonic attack on MTV. But what kept the record selling was Knopfler's increased sense of pop songcraft — "Money for Nothing" had an indelible guitar riff, "Walk of Life" is a catchy uptempo boogie variation on "Sultans of Swing," and the melodies of the bluesy "So Far Away" and downtempo Everly Brothers-style "Why Worry" were wistful and lovely. Dire Straits had never been so concise or pop-oriented, and it wore well on them. Though they couldn't maintain that consistency through the rest of the album — only the jazzy "Your Latest Trick" and the flinty "Ride Across the River" make an impact — Brothers in Arms remains one of their most focused and accomplished albums and, in its succinct pop sense, it is distinctive within their catalog. — Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Artist: Katrina & the Waves
    Album Title: Katrina & the Waves
    Date of Release: 1985

Instead of recording a new batch of songs for their major-label debut, Katrina and the Waves elected to redo ten songs from their first two albums (given the criminal lack of dissemination these two fine platters apparently received, this decision made a lot of sense). All were re-recorded in an aggressive power-pop style; surprisingly, most all these fine songs hold up extremely well under this approach. A few of these tunes, notably "Going Down to Liverpool" and "Walking on Sunshine," lose a bit of their original sparkle and purity as a result — but just as one cannot obliterate the taste of a great hunk of prime rib with a little sauce, so too one cannot ruin these amazing songs by adding a little extra oomph. Other tunes gain surprising virtues this way. "Red Wine and Whisky" and "Do You Want Crying" [sic] become desperately driven and urgent tuneful rockers, while "Game of Love" transforms into a rollicking party platter of the first magnitude. And "Cry for Me" and "The Sun Won't Shine" regenerate as blueslike shouting numbers of apocalyptic intensity. This great album is an essential purchase, especially since the two Attic Records releases that precede it seem to be impossible to find nowadays. — David Cleary

Tchau!

4. Music   -   #4
    MrT
    Originally posted by CrumbCat@21 July 2003 - 19:53

Many of you may not yet have been born when these songs were recorded. You might want to give them a listen, as many of them will go down as some of the best music ever made.

Maybe some other Music Fans can add their lists to this topic and help expand everyones music knowledge.

Enjoy!

The year....1976!

1. Peter Frampton - Something's Happening
    2. Eric Clapton - Hello Old Friend
    3. Queen - You're My Best Friend
    4. Boz Scaggs - It's Over
    5. Steely Dan - Kid Charlemagne
    7. Boston - Foreplay/Long Time
    8. Brothers Johnson - I'll Be Good to You
    9. Bob Seger - Night Moves
    10. Kansas - Carry on Wayward Son

**BEST OF SET!!

Artist: Blue Öyster Cult
    Album Title: Agents of Fortune
    Date of Release: May 1976

Nothing Blue Öyster Cult had produced previously prepared listeners for its infectious mid-tempo hit, "(Don't Fear) the Reaper," which propelled it into a higher commercial orbit and caused (or reflected) a change in the balance of power in the group. The song was written by guitarist Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser and was an indication that the band was now largely doing its own songwriting; co-producer Sandy Pearlman earned only one co-writing credit on the record, while drummer Albert Bouchard had five. Poetess Patti Smith, meanwhile, not only co-wrote two tracks, but also performed on one, "The Revenge of Vera Gemini." The result was a record much more in a pop-rock vein than the vaunted metal of the first three albums and BÖC's biggest hit ever. — William Ruhlmann

Hell yes!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, CrumbCat! They all look great.

Got any more of them 10 song sets?

5. Music   -   #5
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Yes theres a nice collection there I wan't born but I like that 70s stuff it is excellent stuff

6. Music   -   #6
    MrT
    Originally posted by Hogster@25 July 2003 - 06:57
    Yes theres a nice collection there I wan't born but I like that 70s stuff it is excellent stuff
    Not born yet?

I feel old now.

7. Music   -   #7
    brotherdoobie's Avatar Long live Hissyfit BT Rep: +1
    Originally posted by MrT+25 July 2003 - 00:59--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MrT @ 25 July 2003 - 00:59)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Hogster@25 July 2003 - 06:57
    Yes theres a nice collection there I wan&#39;t born but I like that 70s stuff it is excellent stuff
    Not born yet?

I feel old now.

[/b][/quote]
    You are old my friend. Dont worry were all decomposing as we speak.
    Have a cup of tea(or MR T if u prefer) and listen to the tunes.

Peace brotherdoobie B)

8. Music   -   #8

The year....1969&#33;

1. Bob Seger - Ramblin&#39; Gamblin&#39; Man
    2. Jeff Beck & Rod Stewart - Plynth
    3. Iron Butterfly - Soul Experience
    4. David Ruffin - My Whole World Ended (The Moment You Left Me)
    5. Steam - Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye
    6. Sly & the Family Stone - Sex Machine**
    7. Desmond Dekker & the Aces - Israelites
    8. Youngbloods - Get Together
    9. Beatles - You Never Give Me Your Number
    10. Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup

**BEST OF SET&#33;&#33;

Artist: Sly & the Family Stone
    Album Title: Stand&#33;
    Date of Release: May 3, 1969

The album cover for your viewing pleasure courtesy of CrumbCat&#39;s Amazing Album Cover Finder:

Stand&#33; is the pinnacle of Sly & the Family Stone&#39;s early work, a record that represents a culmination of the group&#39;s musical vision and accomplishment. Life hinted at this record&#39;s boundless enthusiasm and blurred stylistic boundaries, yet everything simply gels here, resulting in no separation between the astounding funk, effervescent irresistible melodies, psychedelicized guitars, and deep rhythms. Add to this a sharpened sense of pop songcraft, elastic band interplay, and a flowering of Sly&#39;s social conscious, and the result is utterly stunning. Yes, the jams ("Don&#39;t Call Me Nigger, Whitey," "Sex Machine") wind up meandering ever so slightly, but they&#39;re surrounded by utter brilliance, from the rousing call to arms of "Stand" to the unification anthem "Everyday People" to the unstoppable "I Want to Take You Higher." All of it sounds like the Family Stone, thanks not just to the communal lead vocals but to the brilliant interplay, but each track is distinct, emphasizing a different side of their musical personality. As a result, Stand&#33; winds up infectious and informative, invigorating and thought-provoking — stimulating in every sense of the word. Few records of its time touched it, and Sly topped it only by offering its opposite the next time out. — Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Tchau&#33;

9. Music   -   #9
    what do I put here? BT Rep: +10BT Rep +10
    Why did Mr T get banned??

10. Music   -   #10
    mogadishu's Avatar {}"_++()_><.,{}}[":+
    nooooooo....&#33; not mr. T.
    signature removed, check the boardrules.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast