Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Grammar

Ex-member
    Listen, anyone is allowed to use those smilies, I even encourage people to bookmark the page http://www.mcbriens.net/liam/smilies.htm if they want to use it regularly.

Obviously, I don't want people using them in sigs, but I have no objection to them being used in posts.

Regarding grammar: If you don't type in proper English, people won't take you seriously. Simple as that. You could write a revolutionary thesis on the impact of Shakespeare's work on modern society, but if you write it in shoddy or improper English then no-one will give you any credit. The same goes for online forums - you're just marking yourself as a kid (and if you look up a dictionary, you'll see that 'kid' is an accepted synonym for 'child&#39 who can't be taken seriously.

It's also considered rude to respond to people with 'txt' language, becuase it implies you're not worth typing a proper answer.

@Albo: nice use of irony there

2. Lounge   -   #22
    namzuf9's Avatar Poster
    wh4t @80U+ TyPIn9 L0NG 5enTENc3$ LikE thI5? woUlD'nt +h4t Ju$T +o++@LLY R0x0R yOUR 8r4in!!!

3. Lounge   -   #23
    Ex-member
    Originally posted by namzuf9@2 October 2003 - 10:27
    wh4t @80U+ TyPIn9 L0NG 5enTENc3$ LikE thI5? woUlD'nt +h4t Ju$T +o++@LLY R0x0R yOUR 8r4in!!!
    |\|0, |}|_|+ |_||+|2@-|33+ \X/0|_||[) |23@||`/ |*1$$ |*30|*|3 0|=|=

4. Lounge   -   #24
    BANNED
    Kunal
    I never had a single prob wid maxtor! me 1st comp had 1 (13 yrs old) and dat 1 still wrks!
    This sounds to me like he has a 13 year old computer with a Maxtor hard disk that still works fine. That would make it circa 1990.
    I'd be interested to know how big it is, (the HDD), and what he does with it!

5. Lounge   -   #25
    lynx's Avatar .
    I remember Maxtor drives back in 1990. I believe they had one about 500MB!
    I also know I couldn't afford one. In fact I'm not sure the company I worked for could afford more than one.

Edit: I just remembered, I'm pretty sure they all SCSI connections too, and I don't think I could even afford the SCSI controller. Wouldn't have done me any good anyway, I didn't have a pc in those days.
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

6. Lounge   -   #26
    BANNED
    Originally posted by lynx@2 October 2003 - 20:52
    I remember Maxtor drives back in 1990. I believe they had one about 500MB!
    I also know I couldn't afford one. In fact I'm not sure the company I worked for could afford more than one.

Edit: I just remembered, I'm pretty sure they all SCSI connections too, and I don't think I could even afford the SCSI controller. Wouldn't have done me any good anyway, I didn't have a pc in those days.
    I bought a 286 in 1989 with a 40 meg drive, I updated in 1991 (?) to a 486 with 120 megs.

7. Lounge   -   #27
    Poster
    Yeah, I remember those 20 and 40 meg drives. And even before that, the big and heavy 3 and 5 meg drives. The nightmare of setting them up with those controller cards.

Just think in comparison with today. We burn 700 megs to a CD that's 25¢ and we think nothing of it.

8. Lounge   -   #28
    Originally posted by Lamsey@ 2 October 2003 - 09:49
    Regarding grammar: If you don't type in proper English, people won't take you seriously. Simple as that. You could write a revolutionary thesis on the impact of Shakespeare's work on modern society, but if you write it in shoddy or improper English then no-one will give you any credit. The same goes for online forums - you're just marking yourself as a kid (and if you look up a dictionary, you'll see that 'kid' is an accepted synonym for 'child&#39 who can't be taken seriously.

It's also considered rude to respond to people with 'txt' language, becuase it implies you're not worth typing a proper answer.
    I agree that typing in abbreviated 'txt' language could be considered as lazy. But to discount someone’s point of view based on their spelling, diction and grammar, is intolerant and judgemental.

......we're back onto hard drives now are we

9. Lounge   -   #29
    lynx's Avatar .
    Originally posted by LTJBukem@2 October 2003 - 13:09
    I agree that typing in abbreviated 'txt' language could be considered as lazy. But to discount someone’s point of view based on their spelling, diction and grammar, is intolerant and judgemental.
    It's not necessarily that people are being intolerant and judgemental, it's simply that misspellings and poor grammar make reading and understanding a post that much more difficult, and as Lamsey says, if you are doing it deliberately it's just plain rude. It's not even a case of being lazy, as you yourself have shown, it isn't any harder to write properly, there's no post size limit (within reason).

I'm sure no-one here gets upset at the odd misspelt word, even the best make them now and again, but if the person knows their spelling and/or grammar is poor, it only takes a few seconds to run the post through a checker. Who knows, it may even help them improve.

Edit: typo
    Political correctness is based on the principle that it's possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

10. Lounge   -   #30
    I agree with you lynx. I don't think that Lamsey is either judgmental or intolerant, he actually seems like a really decent, and bright, er... kid (). Others i'm not too sure about though. Yes, you ..............., and you ..............

Oh, and by the way....... I'm sorry. but i just couldn't help myself......

Originally posted by lynx+ 2 October 2003 - 13:47--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (lynx &#064; 2 October 2003 - 13:47)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>it only takes a few seconds to run the post through a checker. [/b]
    <!--QuoteBegin-lynx@ 2 October 2003 - 13:47
    Edit: typo [/quote]

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast