Thread: Judge Rules Against RealDVD

Darth Sushi's Avatar Sushi Lord
    Judge Rules Against RealDVD
    by Jane McEntegart, 12:31 PM - August 12, 2009

" A federal judge has ruled in favor of the six major movie studios suing RealNetworks over its RealDVD software.

RealNetworks was faced with legal action for the software the same day it was launched, on September 30 last year. While the company said that it was just trying to come up with a legal way for users to back up their movies to their hard drives, Judge Marilyn Hall Patel yesterday declared the program violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act and the terms of the DVD CSS license because RealNetworks actively worked to circumvent the CSS license, which is there to prevent casual users from the unauthorized copying of copyrighted materials recorded on DVD-Video/Audio Discs.

Patel issued a preliminary injunction preventing RealNetworks from selling the RealDVD software. The preliminary injunction replaces a temporary injunction that has been in place ever since major studios (including Paramount, Sony, Universal Studios and Walt Disney) filed suit last September.

Patel last year extended the temporary injunction because she was unsure as to whether the technology was a violation or not. "I am extending the temporary restraining order because I’m not satisfied in the fact that this technology is not in violation," Patel said following the three-hour hearing. "There are serious questions about copyright violations. There are questions about violations of the (Digital Millennium Copyright Act), and violations of these companies’ agreement."

The ruling is unfortunate as it seems RealNetworks is genuine in its efforts to offer paying customers a way to watch movies they have paid for without the need for the DVD. That said, however genuine the company's efforts seem, RealNetworks did violate federal law. Who do you think is right in this instance? Let us know in the comments below. "

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Rea...-CSS,8438.html

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    wow. they finally have a way to backup dvds and its squashed... what a waste of time. there have been similar programs for over 10 years.

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    I have never liked RealNetworks or their software. However, I have a much greater disdain for limitations put on users' products. If someone wants to transfer their DVD to their (whatever device)I do not believe they should have to circumvent anything to do so.

Granted, a lot of us know how to do what we want,however, I don't think that kind of knowledge should even be necessary. For example, If a 60 y.o. woman buys a DVD and then wants to make a copy or play the disc on her portable player, she should not have to seek out the technical expertise of anyone else. It is her product. If she wants to take a 30 second scene out and email it to a friend, she should be able to do that as well.

RealNetworks has never been a company who's products have interested me. I have always found "Alternatives" . However, they were at least (to a very small degree), trying to take a step in the right (kinda) direction.

That is all I can "Really" (oh, gawd, I am sooo damn cleaver sometimes) say for this case. All of the companies in this case are fighting over a technical limitation intentionally placed on the product to inconvenience the purchaser.

May they all be forced to be the starring act in a Tijuana donkey show for all eternity!
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    ulun64's Avatar Poster
    I don't like Real Network at all but impede technology development is bad.....If the major studio knew that the internet would cost them damage, they would have stop it's development

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    ^I believe you are right in your assessment that the movie studios and recording industries would have placed an injunction on the internet. I do have serious doubts that the internet has actually damaged either. It has only taken control of media away from the industries and put it in the hands of consumers.

They want to claim that every time something gets downloaded, it was money out of their pockets (or owed to them). That simply is not true.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.