Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Report Expected To Confirm Failure To Find Wmd

kAb's Avatar Poster
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm...ubsection=world

Report expected to confirm failure to find WMD in Iraq

By RUPERT CORNWELL
    WASHINGTON - Already shaken by the furore over the leak of a CIA operative's identity, the Bush administration is bracing for more fall-out from the Iraq invasion from a report due tomorrow that will confirm the failure to find any weapons of mass destruction - the main justification advanced for the war last March.

David Kay, the head of the 1200-strong Iraq Survey group that is leading the hunt for the illegal weapons, is expected to tell the House and Senate Intelligence committees that Saddam Hussein may have been bluffing over whether he possessed chemical and biological arms.

In particular, Mr Kay is likely to highlight the instructions issued by Baghdad to Iraqi commanders in the field shortly before war, to use chemical weapons against the invaders. Mr Kay will probably say that these instructions, intercepted by US intelligence services, were fakes, intended by Saddam to make himself appear a greater threat that he in fact was.

Officially his report will be "inconclusive", and stress Saddam's skill at hiding his prohibited weapons. But it may also raise the possibility that he had them destroyed shortly after, or even before, the 1991 Gulf war which drove his forces from Kuwait.

At most, the report will say, the Iraqi dictator retained the wherewithal, in terms of precursor chemicals and "dual use" facilities, to quickly restart production once United Nations sanctions had been lifted.

Even though the findings of Mr Kay, a former UN weapons inspector and an adviser to the CIA, are being called "interim" - suggesting that the hunt may yet yield proof of illegal weapons - they can only generate new criticism of the administration and its use of pre-war intelligence: either that the intelligence was faulty, or that is was deliberately exaggerated by administration hawks to bolster the case for war.

It will come days after the Republican-controlled House Intelligence Committee delivered a stinging attack on the CIA, accusing the agency of using "outdated and piecemeal" data in compiling its assessment of the Iraqi threat.

That embarrassment moreover coincided with the launch by the Justice Department of a criminal investigation of allegations that the name of an undercover CIA operative was leaked by the White House - apparently in order to get back at the agent's husband, former ambassador Joseph Wilson, a noted critic of the war.

Yesterday White House staffers began sifting their records and telephone logs for information relevant to the probe. But President Bush's spokesman said he knew of no-one who had gone to the Department with information about the case.

Nor, to the best of his knowledge, had any White House officials hired outside legal counsel - a routine procedure at the scandal-buffetted Clinton White House. The White House would agree to polygraph tests for staffers, if the FBI requested them.

Though Mr Bush has promised full co-operation with the inquiry, Democrats insist that career Justice Department officials cannot carry out an impartial investigation and are calling on John Ashcroft, the Attorney General, to name an outside prosecutor. But Republicans reject these demands.

- INDEPENDENT

Well, Saddam was so dumb that he lied himself into war. And the U.S. figured he was telling the truth when he lied about ordering the use of chemical weapons.

Saddam thought the U.S. would never invade. He was convinced that the U.S. would leave him alone if he bragged about his weapons secretly

Saddam is unbelievably stupid.

2. The Drawing Room   -   #2
    BANNED
    I think the ones who are unbelievably stupid are those who think the invasion of Iraq had anything to do with WMD's, or the welfare of the Iraqi people.

3. The Drawing Room   -   #3
    Calvarian2003
    kAb, I must say I am surprised at the nature of your response to this article given the political inclinations of most of the people on this forum. Agreed, Saddam is stupid. But not that stupid; he's still alive, isn't he?

4. The Drawing Room   -   #4
    Rat Faced's Avatar Broken
    Well, Saddam was so dumb that he lied himself into war. And the U.S. figured he was telling the truth when he lied about ordering the use of chemical weapons.
    He spent the last 10 years denying he had them, truthfully it appears......so USA/UK are responsible for about 500,000 Iraqi deaths BEFORE the invasion, for no good reason...never mind the deaths that occured during the invasion.

He ordered their use as he was being invaded......ie Bluffed.

Guess what, thats what war is about.

An It Harm None, Do What You Will

5. The Drawing Room   -   #5
    Calvarian2003
    Originally posted by Billy_Dean@2 October 2003 - 08:29
    I think the ones who are unbelievably stupid are those who think the invasion of Iraq had anything to do with WMD's, or the welfare of the Iraqi people.

Billy Dean, you can't be serious! The future for Iraqis now is much brighter than under Saddam Hussein. The guy was a despot, a homicidal maniac, and a dictator! Would you condemn thousands of more innocent Iraqis to his torturous regime just like the UN? At least with the US in control there won't be any near as much bloodshed and certainly virtually none of the disgusting human rights abuses that Saddam perpetuated. What about the 10s of 1000s of Iraqis he had rotting in prison merely for objecting to his tyrannical rule?

6. The Drawing Room   -   #6
    Originally posted by Calvarian2003+2 October 2003 - 15:28--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Calvarian2003 &#064; 2 October 2003 - 15:28)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Billy_Dean@2 October 2003 - 08:29
    I think the ones who are unbelievably stupid are those who think the invasion of Iraq had anything to do with WMD&#39;s, or the welfare of the Iraqi people.

Billy Dean, you can&#39;t be serious&#33; The future for Iraqis now is much brighter than under Saddam Hussein. The guy was a despot, a homicidal maniac, and a dictator&#33; Would you condemn thousands of more innocent Iraqis to his torturous regime just like the UN? At least with the US in control there won&#39;t be any near as much bloodshed and certainly virtually none of the disgusting human rights abuses that Saddam perpetuated. What about the 10s of 1000s of Iraqis he had rotting in prison merely for objecting to his tyrannical rule?[/b][/quote]
    Actually, Billy was for the removal of Saddam Hussein. He just objects to the use of political lies and rhetoric to justify it.

I have posted ad nausem that the American government did not go into Iraq because they cared about the noble Iraqi civilians, that was a political tool used to give Americans the warm fuzzies about the justness of our war.

The lie was weapons of mass destruction and the threat they posed. This was a sham. I am disappointed in my government, as I trusted them. How do you tell families that their son was killed for a cause that was just a political ruse.

If you are going to attack against the will of the UN, you had better back up what you claim. Our credibility in that region was poor to begin with, now how can we be trusted?
    Aren't we in the trust tree, thingey?

7. The Drawing Room   -   #7
    Calvarian2003
    I can live with what your saying, hobbes. But those soldiers didn&#39;t die for nothing. Millions of people will have a taste of freedom of oppression because of their sacrifice. In a couple of years from now they&#39;ll look back and stand in awe of how far their country has come. Iraq has the potential to be a great country; it&#39;s selfish dictators that rob the people of such blessings.

8. The Drawing Room   -   #8
    BANNED
    Tell that to the people of afghanistan&#33;&#33;

At the Labour party conference following the September 11 attacks, Tony Blair said memorably: "To the Afghan people, we make this commitment. We will not walk away... If the Taliban regime changes, we will work with you to make sure its successor is one that is broadbased, that unites all ethnic groups and offers some way out of the poverty that is your miserable existence." He was echoing George Bush, who had said a few days earlier: "The oppressed people of Afghanistan will know the generosity of America and its allies. As we strike military targets, we will also drop food, medicine and supplies to the starving and suffering men and women and children of Afghanistan. The US is a friend of the Afghan people."

Almost every word they spoke was false. Their declarations of concern were cruel illusions that prepared the way for the conquest of both Afghanistan and Iraq. As the illegal Anglo-American occupation of Iraq now unravels, the forgotten disaster in Afghanistan, the first "victory" in the "war on terror", is perhaps an even more shocking testament to power.
    Now read about the reality ...
    The Betrayal of Afghanistan.

9. The Drawing Room   -   #9
    there was a question and answer session with president Hasmid Karzai or Afghanistan on the BBC website
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3139680.stm

he seems quite intelligent / quite a good politician

10. The Drawing Room   -   #10
    kAb's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by Calvarian2003@2 October 2003 - 00:30
    kAb, I must say I am surprised at the nature of your response to this article given the political inclinations of most of the people on this forum. Agreed, Saddam is stupid. But not that stupid; he&#39;s still alive, isn&#39;t he?
    i&#39;m fairly conservative.
    This doesn&#39;t mean i support bush.

Saddam had to be removed from power, the case could&#39;ve been made much better and with many countries&#39; support.

Had bush presented the case differently, i believe it could have been made.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast