Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What Are Members Worth? (WAMW)

megabyteme's Avatar RASPBERRY RIPPLE BT Rep: +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19BT Rep +19
    Thank you for all of the positive and critical comments! This is exactly what I was hoping for!

I will try to respond the the posts on the page:

Rart- When it comes to the sharing of information (all forms) I make no apologies for being an idealist. I know that there will never be a community as strong as the one that I in-vision, but there is absolutely no harm in making posts like this to give members something to think about (if they care) and hopefully strengthen the community a bit.

zip- Some ideas cannot be expressed in 5 words or less. If people want to improve themselves (here and elsewhere) they are going to have to read at some point in their lives. I can only do my best- it is up to the individual and the community to decide if I have written something of interest or not.

ROD3NT- I think most of us fall into that category (a bit of everything). We can choose what areas we concentrate on improving, though.

schtuka- I see what you are saying, but as you "reach the top" of anything, it gets lonelier. I believe that is an important fact. It is also why people tend to seek out others with those same limited skills an abilities. While a lot of the people who have excelled at something (academic, sports, business, etc) enjoy teaching to people "on their way up", sometimes it is necessary to find people who can still challenge you- or even give you a good beat-down occasionally. And they appreciate the same.

IdolEyes- And we are VERY lucky to have you!

TheFox- Thanks, I believe we see things in a VERY similar manner.

sez- Very true. Are the people who get into these "stratified" positions through people they know, really a value to that community, or are they just there? While some may be able to "sneak in" I am talking about the people who really are an active and beneficial member of the community. You will have "collectors" and dead-weight anywhere.

Thanks, Lub! Very happy you enjoyed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

2. BitTorrent   -   #32
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    rofl! Can I be 10a and 10b?

3. BitTorrent   -   #33
    TheFoX's Avatar www.arsebook.com
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post

Of course you can, my dear. Find a nice SysOp who wants a partner to help him run his site, and bingo, you have 10a). Since you already have 10b), your half way there.

4. BitTorrent   -   #34
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I'm from Missouri .Pics or it doesn't count.

5. BitTorrent   -   #35
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    That's level 11.
    Ghey lumberjacks, wolverines, blackflies in the summer, polar bears in the winter, that's basically Canada in a nutshell.

6. BitTorrent   -   #36
    KushBlow's Avatar Zen BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    Quote Originally Posted by megabyteme View Post
    Level 10b- Hot chicks who do exclusive webcam shows for the site members. This is the only "free pass" straight to the top. Just like IRL, if you are a hot chick who is willing to get naked, you probably don't need to offer anything else to the site. Anyone who says a negative word about you will be banned before they finish pressing [ENTER]. Generally, you are loved by everyone anyway.
    Psh, and we still have feminism...

7. BitTorrent   -   #37
    n00bz0r's Avatar Say what? BT Rep: +5
    well.. cheers MBM for being successful in making it look interesting..and it really made for an interesting read.
    moving on, the 11 point scale of grading members was a bit stretched. It could have been easily condensed into 7 or 8 categories.But, anyway, the point you have raised is pretty valid..i give you a ten on ten for that.
    i would have went on scrutinizing every aspect of this post, but i see that has already been done by folks.. and their concerns have been objectively addressed. Great job again MBM for putting it out well.

PS: i took some time to think about the level i am presently at..and am pretty happy that i have progressed from level 1 to 3 as i understand the rules well..(I took my own good time..lol)
    PPS: Networks.. another practical point raised by sez.. it does alter the equation in a big way.
    Last edited by n00bz0r; 08-15-2009 at 01:29 AM.

8. BitTorrent   -   #38
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Are the people who get into these "stratified" positions through people they know, really a value to that community, or are they just there? While some may be able to "sneak in" I am talking about the people who really are an active and beneficial member of the community.
    alluding to RL,i guess it'll be kinda hard to answer that question.Granted(not a given)that if you graduate from a good school(amherst for example) you are bound to have more opportunities in life than somebody who pursued the same LA education as you but at some other unknown low level state U.

The success of this amherst fellow would largely be credited to the excellent alumni network that his alma mater has managed to maintain over the years and as a token of appreciation,he'll probably give back to his college so long as he's still alive.Now,the opposite is most likely the diegesis for the state U and its output academic.

I can't really flat out pick a side on this but given the above scenario,i think to some extent its probably fair and well deserved to be where you are coz of the people you know simply because it takes alot of effort to even have such a network of friends who have the ability to take you places(plus getting into amherst in the first place wasn't a walk in the park i would imagine.)

fair or unfair,i don't really know.

9. BitTorrent   -   #39
    Congrats on level 3, n00bz0r! Don't worry, buddy, we won't trade ya. That is unless a 10(b) comes along... I really appreciate you taking the time to read it through and give your honest assessment!

I realize that 1-3 could be condensed. I thought that added some weight to the list. I really did not have to stretch to make the list "fit". In fact, I started with the first 3 and built up from there.

We are told to read the instructions everywhere. Most don't. Hell, I only do sometimes. And that's after I have screwed something up.

And, sez- very good analysis of the networking scene. It does take time and effort to cultivate and maintain those long-term relationships. Not everyone who goes to the "Big Name" schools bothers to use/be part of the networking system.

On a related note, I got to a point where my grad-school application was teetering in the very edge. I was told to get two additional references (much to my surprise, the two I had originally received did not come through for me the way I expected). I needed help and a contacted some people who had not been close friends, but I had kept in touch with over the years. When told them the situation, they stepped up. Big time! Did not hesitate and asked me exactly what I needed them to do. If either of them EVER needed anything from me, they would get whatever they needed.

That is the power of maintaining and cultivating relationships. It is also a bit of a cautionary tale on knowing what people will say about you before you count on them 100%.

10. BitTorrent   -   #40
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    to bad the real 'what are members worth' to the higher up community isn't completely in line with the original post but i find it fun regardless.

@KushBlow don't say that. The post is half (if not all) sarcastic. It isn't sexist...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast