Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: newsleecher disconnects me from the internet after sometime of downloading....

i recently started having this problem,
    i've been using newsleecher (giganews membership) for almost a month with no problems. my constant download speed used to be 700-800KB/s, now its just all over the place 300-700KB/s. I always leave on newsleecher overnight downloading various files, but i wake up and see that my internet connection says "Limited or No Connectivity" it happens everynight, and when i download throught out the day after about an hour or so once again that happens, in order to fix this i have to disconnect from my wireless internet and reconnect and the problem is solved, but like i said i get disconnected again after about an hour or so of downloading, its pretty random, sometimes ill be using newsleecher for 15-30 minutes and ill get disconnected(Limited or No Connectivity) and sometimes itll take up to an hour.

Does this happen to anyone else?
    I have timewarner cable
    i doubt its my internet because it worked fine the first 2-3 weeks, it was just outstanding, now its just terrible.
    and all my other computers remain on the internet, only the one using newsleecher gets disconnected. i use 20 active connections, i thought maybe that was the problem, but i reduced it to 10, still got the same problem, reduced it to 5, and still got the error

some please help me

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    It sounds like your router is causing the problem. Try a hard reset.

Also, you should be using only the minimum number of connections to get your max speed. Most likely to max your line you'll only need 3-4 connections, definitely not 20, and very unlikely 10.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    i emailed giganews and they told me its my ISP limiting my downloads or something.
    and they told me to upgrade to the diamond account SSL.

this could be true? or they just want an extra 5 bucks every month?

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    That would possibly make sense if it was just the speed issue. The problem you seem to have is a loss of network connection (limited or no connectivity), this is a local issue not an internet issue.

Anyway, why are you paying giganews $25 a month for non-SSL service, when you can pay astraweb $11 a month for SSL connections? (You will lose about 20-30 days of retention, which is pretty insignificant when retention is at the levels we have now).

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    Can you hard wire your laptop in for now.Then you know if the wireless router.

And as EyeBaller said have a look at astraweb.I have been with them for about 1 year and it works great.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    sorry for the stupid question
    but what are retention days ???
    that really confuses me

oh and the 11 dollar service has the 1mb download speed limit am i correct?
    Last edited by equisch3x; 08-15-2009 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Quote Originally Posted by equisch3x View Post
    that really confuses me

Retention is the amount of time that an article (file) is kept on the server after it is uploaded.

Giganews currently leads the pack with retention at 370+ days. Astraweb is at 350+ days. However, Giganews costs $30/month (SSL unlimited plan) and Astraweb is $11/month (SSL unlimited plan), both with no speed restrictions.

IMO 20 days extra retention doesn't justify an almost 3x increase in cost.

To sign up for this price with Astraweb you have to use this link:
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
    Last edited by EyeBaller; 08-15-2009 at 09:51 PM.

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeBaller View Post
    that really confuses me

Retention is the amount of time that an article (file) is kept on the server after it is uploaded.

Giganews currently leads the pack with retention at 370+ days. Astraweb is at 350+ days. However, Giganews costs $30/month (SSL unlimited plan) and Astraweb is $11/month (SSL unlimited plan), both with no speed restrictions.

IMO 20 days extra retention doesn't justify an almost 3x increase in cost.

To sign up for this price with Astraweb you have to use this link:
    http://www.news.astraweb.com/specials/kleverig-11.html
    It says limited time only
    So once the offer ends whats the price going to be?

9. Newsgroups   -   #9

It says limited time only
    So once the offer ends whats the price going to be?
    Please take the time to read things properly. It's a limited time offer to sign up (even though it's been available for months), but it clearly states:

"You will pay $11 for every month as long as your subscription remains active. We will not raise the price."

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Giganews vs Astraweb thread (even though I kinda did...) since there are plenty of those around. Did you solve the connection issue with any of the suggestions?
    Last edited by EyeBaller; 08-16-2009 at 12:54 AM.

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    i didnt do anything, but ive been downloading for about 18 hours already and no issues.. i did reset me router though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast