Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody else also think that the English language is weird?

2 Million Ways BT Rep: +7BT Rep +7
    funny

2. Lounge   -   #12
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Haha. The english language is one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. I've learned spanish over the years (which is much simpler) and my parents have mentioned that english was one of the most painful experiences of their life.

3. Lounge   -   #13
    Barbarossa's Avatar mostly harmless
    Learning English is a piece of piss. I learnt it as a small child and I've never regretted it.

4. Lounge   -   #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Barbarossa View Post
    Learning English is a piece of piss. I learnt it as a small child and I've never regretted it.
    Hah, the funny thing is that I thought you were being facetious. By spelling learned the way you did, I thought that you were subtly hinting that it was indeed hard to learn. I then realized that it's just a British way of spelling it. Much like you may think that realise doesn't have a z. It's odd how the same language can change not only accents, but spelling too.

5. Lounge   -   #15
    Zip's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    I don't know about weird, but it sure is difficult.

6. Lounge   -   #16
    JPaul's Avatar Fat Secret Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursacro View Post
    Hah, the funny thing is that I thought you were being facetious. By spelling learned the way you did, I thought that you were subtly hinting that it was indeed hard to learn. I then realized that it's just a British a perfectly acceptable way of spelling it alternative that I didn't know. Much like you may think that realise doesn't have a z. It's odd how the same language can change not only accents, but spelling too.
    Fixed.

Oh and it's not the same language. I'm entirely happy to accept that American English exists as a language in it's own right. No problem with that whatsoever, get in there guys. However if you are suggesting that it's the same language then it isn't, it's just bad spelling.

You choose. It's one or the other.

7. Lounge   -   #17
    pentomato's Avatar Above the sun
    Quote Originally Posted by OlegL View Post
    Does anybody else also think that the English language is weird? The reason I find English weird is because I can't express myself in it. English has so many words and I don't know many of them. So, English is a weird language simply because I can't express myself when I speak English. For example, why does English have the indefinite and definite article? Why must I say, "I am a man" instead of saying, "I am the man"? I think I am THE man, given the fact that all women want me in bed.

regardles of what your first language is, I am sure you don't know every word of that language anyway.
    Last edited by pentomato; 08-25-2009 at 09:40 PM.

8. Lounge   -   #18
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by pentomato View Post
    regardles...
    Methinks you've discovered a new word.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

9. Lounge   -   #19
    Snee's Avatar Error xɐʇuʎs BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Haha. The english language is one of the hardest languages to learn in the world. I've learned spanish over the years (which is much simpler) and my parents have mentioned that english was one of the most painful experiences of their life.
    No, it isn't. The syntactic structure is relatively simple, the alphabet has less letters than many languages, and the lexicon isn't all that tricky. Neither the spoken, nor the written language is particularily remarkable, as far as learning it goes.

10. Lounge   -   #20
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Quote Originally Posted by Recursacro View Post
    Hah, the funny thing is that I thought you were being facetious. By spelling learned the way you did, I thought that you were subtly hinting that it was indeed hard to learn. I then realized that it's just a British way of spelling it. Much like you may think that realise doesn't have a z. It's odd how the same language can change not only accents, but spelling too.

You're both wrong. Learnt is a past participle and should only be used in conjuction with another verb. Ie: I have learnt something today. Learned is the passed tense of 'to learn'. So indeed, Barbie should have said' I learned it as a small child'. This due to the fact that this action is completely in the past. If he were still learning it, then 'I've learnt' would have been correct.

Fuck sake. It's not that fucking complicated.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast