Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slim PS3 Officially Announced

SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer

Slim PS3, available in stores from the first week of September. Price will be $299 in the US, €299 in Europe, £249 in the UK and ¥29,980 in Japan
    Features and connections are the same as on existing models. It'll include a 120GB hard drive (upgradeable).

To quote Chazz Palminteri on 'The Usual Suspects': "a rumor's not a rumor that doesn't die." Today at the gamescom conference in Cologne, Germany, SCEI chief Kaz Hirai officially announced the Slim PS3, available in stores from the first week of September. Price will be $299 in the US, €299 in Europe, £249 in the UK and ¥29,980 in Japan.

According to SCE, the internal design architecture of the new PS3 system, from the main semiconductors and power supply unit to the cooling mechanism, has been completely redesigned.

Size, weight and energy requirements are cut by a third. Dimensions are 290×65×290 mm (11.4×2.6×11.4 in). Weight is 3.2 kg (7.0 lbs). Power consumption is approximately 250W. Noise is also reduced, although no specific figure was given.

As regards the outside look, the form factor of the new PS3 system features a new design with textured surface finish (in charcoal black vs the piano black finish on previous models), giving "an all new impression and a casual look," which the company hopes "will appeal to a wider audience."

With the introduction of the new PS3 system, SCE will also reduce the price of the current PS3 with 80GB HDD to an RRP of US$299/€299. Also in North America, the price of PS3 with 160GB HDD will be reduced to an RRP of US$399 from August 18.

Kicking off the gamescom conference in Cologne, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is holding a much-hyped press conference. Even though we are not there, we are looking closely at all the sources reporting from the floor. Of course, lots of it won't be relevant to our site, so here you will find only Blu-ray-related stuff.

According to SCEE president Andrew House, 23.7 million PS3s have been sold globally - 10 million of them in SCEE territories.

Firmare 3.0 for the PS3 has been announced, with animated themes, a "What's New" section and other interface changes.

The video download service will be available in PAL territories from November. It'll begin with films to rent and buy, but will later expand to "local content" (TV).

Kaz Hirai saved the big news for the end and announced the launch of the Slim PS3, available in the first week of September. Price will be $299 in the US, €299 in Europe, and ¥29.980 in Japan. It'll have the same features and function, with a 120GB hard drive. It'll be 33 percent smaller, and 36 percent lighter.

Source: Source 2 | Source 1
    Homepage: Playstation Home Screenshots: Slim PS3 - Same As Above
    Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 08-20-2009 at 02:44 AM.

2. News (Archive)   -   #2
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    still too much money, not enough games (that i like) to play, no backwards compatibility for ps2 & possibly no HDD upgrades (fixed 120gb).

get over it cuz it's a ps3 and not a ps2? not for me. ps2 b/c is a BIG factor imho.

add ps2 b/c and drop the price once again to $199 and i'll plunge.

any1 know how much the hardware mod and softward mod for sony to add to the ps3 costs?
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

3. News (Archive)   -   #3
    Funkin''s Avatar home skillet BT Rep: +4
    Nice, I haven't bought a ps3 yet because I've been waiting for the price to come down. At $299, and for a slimmer model, I may have to pick me up one. I've been dying to play MGS4, Little Big Planet, and a few others.

EDIT: Am I reading this right? This new slim one will be $299 with a 120gb hard drive. But they're also lowering the price on the regular ps3 to $299 with an 80gb hard drive...
    Last edited by Funkin'; 08-20-2009 at 06:02 AM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #4
    Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by mr. nails View Post
    still too much money, not enough games (that i like) to play, no backwards compatibility for ps2 & possibly no HDD upgrades (fixed 120gb).
    You can change the HDD

Don't like the new design.
    the power/eject buttons are ugly.

5. News (Archive)   -   #5
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Looks like shit!

Hopefully the "Phat" PS3's will be lowered considerable.

I'll have to see the full comparison between the Phat and the Slim

Sony Already Planning Another 250GB PS3 Slim Model
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. News (Archive)   -   #6
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    And every other console can still be had for cheaper, not to mention that the PS3's games...*start console war*.

Is there any motivation to buy the older systems now? Will their prices be reduced at all?

7. News (Archive)   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    The prices would have to be, the slim model is the same as the "phat" model, so why would you pay more for the exact same thing, but only bigger, bulkier, and uglier ?
    [center]

8. News (Archive)   -   #8
    $SnoopDo2G$'s Avatar Don Doggy BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    The prices would have to be, the slim model is the same as the "phat" model, so why would you pay more for the exact same thing, but only bigger, bulkier, and uglier ?
    it's not even the same as the first one, that slim shit won't have no otheros
    which allows you to install/use a linux based OS
    so it's sucks IMO... if it was way cheaper it would have been fine like 150 or sumfin lol ...

When the Big fat one will be totally hacked you will know the value of it ahaha...
    i bet that slim shit won't be hacked lol or maybe in 10 years
    Last edited by $SnoopDo2G$; 08-24-2009 at 05:43 PM.

9. News (Archive)   -   #9
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post
    Confirmed: PS3 Slim bit streams Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio

According to Cnet: "no infrared port means non-Bluetooth universal remotes aren't compatible"

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

10. News (Archive)   -   #10
    vajm1234's Avatar Member
    i thought it will be smwhere around 200$ at last but wonder how much time it will take...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast