Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BD25--------> Start The Revolution NOW

drokk54's Avatar Poster
    Wouldn't BluRay BD25 gig Releases be a nice future format to replicate the success the dvd5? (Providing the price continued in the right direction) And we want scene groups to give us this in the future (maybe starting now?!)
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    Quote Originally Posted by drokk54 View Post
    Wouldn't BluRay BD25 gig Releases be a nice future format to replicate the success the dvd5? (Providing the price continued in the right direction) And we want scene groups to give us this in the future (maybe starting now?!)
    If you look in the right places you can find these BD25 rips right now

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    obey the duck
    No. Not until they can be played on WDTV. Until then remuxes - ftw.

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    drokk54's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamRav View Post
    If you look in the right places you can find these BD25 rips right now

... and where would those right places be Mr Rav.....?
    Last edited by drokk54; 08-23-2009 at 07:49 PM.
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    'Decent' recoding on SD DVD's really didn't 'take off' until two things happened:

1) The price of DVD5's dropped below $1 (inkjet printables are now <25cents). With the cheapest BD25's now at $5/ea when bought in bulk, it's 'got a ways to go'.

2) Decent s/w became available to recode as well. There are ways to do x264 today, but it's a bit of a hodge-podge. The final nail to do SD discs consistently, after several years of 'collections' of s/w, was 'DVD-Rebuilder'. When that began to get really stable, things took off like a rocket.

There is a 'BD-Rebuilder' project that's working through low beta versions right now. As I'm doing some review of the available s/w at present, I should be able to give a fair estimation in a couple of weeks or so.

But the amount of processing horsepower folks have at their fingertips today is way beyond that of 10 years ago, and despite the files being upwards of 5 times larger, the power aimed at the task at hand is at least 10-20 times greater.

But, the key is the cost of the media. Most BR discs I've looked at are around 35GB large (for the 'main movie', the dual layer ones, with the rest of the space used for 'extras' and such), and if recoded down to 25GB, would be a very slight reduction. One might even think about using the 'lossless' audio (Dolby-HD or DTS-HD) rather than using even 'standard' DTS/1.5Mb/s audio.

But that price has to come down. Doubt it will even get close for at least another 3+ years.

I might add, the other 'key' to any usability/success, is the wide availability of stand-alone players to play the resulting x264 discs. Most anything bought 'today' is AVCHD (aka PS3) capable, but mkv players are just now coming out. So any recode isn't going to be 'one for one' compatible with BD disc, unlike recoding SD DVD's. The situation is comparable. again, the very early days when many DVD players wouldn't play DVD-R's (or DVD+R's) or even any RW discs. When I first started doing SD/DVD's, neither my sister, mother, or most of my relatives had players that would play ANY of the discs I burned. I still have a 'set' of DVD types I took around to them all to run 'compatibility tests' on their machines.

Same situation today. Which is why folks clog up their hard drives with material, even if they are small enough to 'fit' on a 'standard' dvd. Things are changing, but it will be a S L O W process.
    Last edited by Beck38; 08-25-2009 at 02:07 AM.

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    hotshot6473's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +1
    http://**************.com/2009/08/19...urn/#more-3487

Try out this site for BD-25. It is a torrent site but also have nzb's for powerusers(BTW that is a FSF link... I also put it in a tinyurl for easy access since FST blocks it)

http://tinyurl.com/ma8ura
    Last edited by hotshot6473; 08-25-2009 at 06:27 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by hotshot6473 View Post
    http://**************.com/2009/08/19...urn/#more-3487

Try out this site for BD-25. It is a torrent site but also have nzb's for powerusers(BTW that is a FSF link... I also put it in a tinyurl for easy access since FST blocks it)

http://tinyurl.com/ma8ura
    There's a reason it's blocked

I can post Bluray to Bluray there not scene, and contain no NFO's, but they ARE COMPLETE Bluray weighing in at 48GB.
    [center]

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    One word: Quota!
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    drokk54's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Beck38 View Post
    'Decent' recoding on SD DVD's really didn't 'take off' until two things happened:

1) The price of DVD5's dropped below $1 (inkjet printables are now <25cents). With the cheapest BD25's now at $5/ea when bought in bulk, it's 'got a ways to go'.

2) Decent s/w became available to recode as well. There are ways to do x264 today, but it's a bit of a hodge-podge. The final nail to do SD discs consistently, after several years of 'collections' of s/w, was 'DVD-Rebuilder'. When that began to get really stable, things took off like a rocket.

There is a 'BD-Rebuilder' project that's working through low beta versions right now. As I'm doing some review of the available s/w at present, I should be able to give a fair estimation in a couple of weeks or so.

But the amount of processing horsepower folks have at their fingertips today is way beyond that of 10 years ago, and despite the files being upwards of 5 times larger, the power aimed at the task at hand is at least 10-20 times greater.

But, the key is the cost of the media. Most BR discs I've looked at are around 35GB large (for the 'main movie', the dual layer ones, with the rest of the space used for 'extras' and such), and if recoded down to 25GB, would be a very slight reduction. One might even think about using the 'lossless' audio (Dolby-HD or DTS-HD) rather than using even 'standard' DTS/1.5Mb/s audio.

But that price has to come down. Doubt it will even get close for at least another 3+ years.

I might add, the other 'key' to any usability/success, is the wide availability of stand-alone players to play the resulting x264 discs. Most anything bought 'today' is AVCHD (aka PS3) capable, but mkv players are just now coming out. So any recode isn't going to be 'one for one' compatible with BD disc, unlike recoding SD DVD's. The situation is comparable. again, the very early days when many DVD players wouldn't play DVD-R's (or DVD+R's) or even any RW discs. When I first started doing SD/DVD's, neither my sister, mother, or most of my relatives had players that would play ANY of the discs I burned. I still have a 'set' of DVD types I took around to them all to run 'compatibility tests' on their machines.

Same situation today. Which is why folks clog up their hard drives with material, even if they are small enough to 'fit' on a 'standard' dvd. Things are changing, but it will be a S L O W process.
    --Thanks for an inteligent response!

Its probably just my cluttered memery, but the DVD-5 scene seemed to get up and running so much quicker... but there was definatley a sloooow and expensive period around 2000-2002..... but then again DVD Players, and the format in general seemed to taker over at a greater pace. I dont think bluray will "take over" in the next 10 years.
    Last edited by drokk54; 08-26-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    Judge Drokk-ANARCHY

10. Newsgroups   -   #10
    Well, I started 'ramping up' 'production' around 2003. At that point, dvd's had been around for a good 5+ years. I still have quite a few of the first things I did, plus, you have to remember, that lots of commercial discs were dvd5's to begin with, so all one needed was a decrypter, and, some basic tools to null out the 'warning' screens and such.

I still have the machine I originally built to do recodes, before dvd-rebuilder (and two dvd burners that bit the dust in the years following). Single processor Athlon64. right around 2Ghz. Four years later, it was pretty much 'burnt up' doing all the work.

Usually, there are several different x264 recodes of things (on usenet), with varying audio, additional audios, subtitles (or not), generally a real mish-mash. Just like SD-DVD's, stripping out subtitles, or not doing the foreign language bits (like the native American bits in something like 'Dances with Wolves') are simply major oversights. And failure to include things like the Directors commentary (in OGG or other highly compressed format) is again, to me, major oversights. Takes extremely small amounts of the overall bit-space.

'If you want it done right, do it yourself'. That's one of my major 'things to do' over the next month or two. Once I get set up equipment wise (90% of the way there), and get my brain 'educated' as to the hoops to jump through, and get some confidence under my belt. Then it will be 'production time'. My schedule will be full over the coming winter.

The 'adoption' of BR/HD in general has been slow up until now. I live in a pretty high end city/neighborhood, surrounded by engineering types of both aircraft and software (homes are an average of 750K). But less than half even have HDTV's. SD is 'good enough' for most of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast