Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed Question

Poster
    Well I have read somewhere that a 128k Cable connection is faster than a 256k/64k connection. So I have a question is it true? I know that once you do the math and shit a adsl 256k/64k connections top speed is about 34k/s. So how fast then can a 128k cable connection go if it is faster? Also would it be faster than a 512k/128k adsl connection? The reason I'm asking is because I need to get a faster connection but here in Australia all the Cable Internet Connections are something like $50 for about 550mb downloads a month. Off course the more monthly allowance you get the more the price is. But adsl 256k/64k is only about $60 for a unlimited plan which much mean the other connection is much faster. So what speeds on average would a 128k Cable connection get?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    nope 256 adsl should be faster than 128 cable unless the adsl network operator is well dodgy. The same math applies to cable as adsl, ie max speed on a 128kb link is 16KB.

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    Poster
    Are you sure? Because why would 128k cable connections be about $50 for just about 500mbs a month while with adsl you can get 256k unlimited for only $60? Does cable cost the companys more to run or something?

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    256/64 means 256kb downstream and 64 upstream

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    I suppose its a different company, competition i guess.

In fact i think dsl is even better because you've got reserved bandwidth while with cable you got shared bandwidth. eg if you have cable and all your neighbours are using the same ISP as you and downloading you can expect your speed to drop while this shouldnt happen with DSL

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by Benno@3 October 2003 - 17:45
    if you have cable and all your neighbours are using the same ISP as you and downloading you can expect your speed to drop while this shouldnt happen with DSL
    True, cable Internet access is hooked up to a main switch which can get extremly slow when many people are on at the same time. DSL on the other hand is a dedicated digital line which hooks directly into the main communications hub of your ISP or carrier.

It is possible to uncap the bandwidth limits on the cable modem and basically make a 10MBit network adapter out of it. However this procedure is difficult and illegal. Other than that, the cable you have there in AU is not faster than DSL.

I would definatly choose the DSL with unlimited transfer volume! 550 MB transfer volume for cable a month is insanely low! I get like 10-15 GB of monthly transfer volume on my 1.5MBit DSL.

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Benno's Avatar Poster
    Originally posted by MadDog-2000@4 October 2003 - 01:16
    It is possible to uncap the bandwidth limits on the cable modem and basically make a 10MBit network adapter out of it. However this procedure is difficult and illegal. Other than that, the cable you have there in AU is not faster than DSL.
    There was a thread about it not long ago, i dont know if you've seen it. Apparentely its not possible anymore or if its possible is difficult and illegal as you stated and they will notice it very fast and then you can say bye bye to your connection

You Better Keep In Mind That I Can Read Between The Lines

Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to there level and beat you with experience!!

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Originally posted by Benno+4 October 2003 - 00:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Benno @ 4 October 2003 - 00:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MadDog&#045;2000@4 October 2003 - 01:16
    There was a thread about it not long ago, i dont know if you&#39;ve seen it. Apparentely its not possible anymore or if its possible is difficult and illegal as you stated and they will notice it very fast and then you can say bye bye to your connection [/b][/quote]
    http://www.world-of-adsl.com/resources/uncapping.html

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>BLAH</span>

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>Wayne Rooney - A thug and a thief</span>

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    I love my connection... It may be cable but I live in an area full of stupid/poor people... Use to get 2mb/400kb but now by some mysterious way I get 3.5mb/400kb... All for &#036;45 a month and no bandwidth cap.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Xilo@4 October 2003 - 01:51
    I love my connection... It may be cable but I live in an area full of stupid/poor people... Use to get 2mb/400kb but now by some mysterious way I get 3.5mb/400kb... All for &#036;45 a month and no bandwidth cap.&nbsp;
    WTF man where do u live ?? whats your ISP ?? thats unfair because im paying &#036;33 to my isp, At least &#036;30 worth for dial ups, &#036;25 for the second phone line and im only on 56K.

SHIT&#33;&#33;&#33;

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast