Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDF files on iTouch

RoSsoNeRI's Avatar LoUiS VuiTtoN DoN BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Hey,

I recently bought a new 2nd generation apple ipod touch, I have some pdf document and some books in pdf documents saved on my computer. Now how would I be able to put them on my iPod touch?? Does anyone know of a way to save PDF's and Microsoft office documents on your iPod touch ? Is there an App or anything?

Thanks

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    iPhones and iTouchs can view PDF files natively. On the web, that is.

If you have PDF files from school, work, etc., you'll need to jailbreak your iTouch and install a free app called Cydia. Cydia is like the App Store, but for applications which were turned down by Apple. There are loads of great apps available there. With Cydia, you can download an app called "Docs". It essentially cordons of a folder where you can place files such as PDF, Word, Excel, ..... and view them directly on your device.

Going further, you can purchase a $20 app from the App Store called Quick Office which allows you to fully edit and create MS Office documents right on your device. Alternatively, you can download that for free if you have the know how.

yo

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Jailbreak it

In Cydia search for "pdf"

NOTE: Cydia is like the AppStore for Jailbroken iPod Touches/iPhones.

So far I'm using Wild Eyes but I hear "Documents" is a better alternative.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    RoSsoNeRI's Avatar LoUiS VuiTtoN DoN BT Rep: +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100BT Rep +100
    Quote Originally Posted by Skiz View Post
    iPhones and iTouchs can view PDF files natively. On the web, that is.

If you have PDF files from school, work, etc., you'll need to jailbreak your iTouch and install a free app called Cydia. Cydia is like the App Store, but for applications which were turned down by Apple. There are loads of great apps available there. With Cydia, you can download an app called "Docs". It essentially cordons of a folder where you can place files such as PDF, Word, Excel, ..... and view them directly on your device.

Going further, you can purchase a $20 app from the App Store called Quick Office which allows you to fully edit and create MS Office documents right on your device. Alternatively, you can download that for free if you have the know how.
    Yes, your right. They can open them in "emails" but thats pointless really since u have to go log into ur email first n open diff emails to view the files, plus you need to be connected to the internet. I wish to save them on my iTouch n view them whenever the need.

Quote Originally Posted by iLOVENZB View Post
    Jailbreak it

In Cydia search for "pdf"

NOTE: Cydia is like the AppStore for Jailbroken iPod Touches/iPhones.

So far I'm using Wild Eyes but I hear "Documents" is a better alternative.
    Thanks I was just about to ask how do I "jailbreak" it. The link you provided says I need to have the 3.0 firmware on it, however im currently running version 2.2.1. Can I "jailbreak" it running my current version??

Also I'd like to know if "jailbreaking" is safe or not?? I wouldn't want my iTouch to crash or just stop working after I have jailbroken it.

Thanks

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by RoSsoNeRI View Post

Thanks I was just about to ask how do I "jailbreak" it. The link you provided says I need to have the 3.0 firmware on it, however im currently running version 2.2.1. Can I "jailbreak" it running my current version??

Also I'd like to know if "jailbreaking" is safe or not?? I wouldn't want my iTouch to crash or just stop working after I have jailbroken it.

Thanks
    You have to download the correct firmware to jailbreak (it's about 150-250mb)

Basically you install the firmware
    Open redn0w and find the firmware.
    Follow onscreen prompts (read the tutorial first )

Be careful you find the right firmware for your generation. 3.0 is the latest atm and supports some good features - Copy/Paste, Landscape mode etc.

Do you know where to find the 3.0 firmware? Google this:

1G: iPod1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw
    2G: iPod2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw

Be careful if you want to upgrade because some jailbroken apps haven't been ported to 3.x yet.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    Why would you not upgrade to 3.0?

yo

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Why would you not upgrade to 3.0?
    As stated in my previous post some apps haven't been ported yet and there are incompatible apps from the 1.x/2.x days. There is also reports that Wifi strength has deteriorated

Here are some threads too keep looking at:

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=236800

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...d.php?t=237971

http://www.ipodtouchfans.com/forums/...177&order=desc <--- 3.0 discussion sub-forum.

You could install 3.0 and then downgrade to 2.2.1 if you so wish.

Win

Mac
    Last edited by iLOVENZB; 08-31-2009 at 12:27 PM.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    3.0 rocks.

I have about 40-50 apps on my iPhone and every single one works with 3.0.What do you value so much that hasn't been fixed?

Wifi strength is waaay better IMO. I use the neighbors wifi and that used to barely get a connection. Nowadays I have all three wifi bars lite up.

3.0 rocks.

yo

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    3.0 rocks.

I have about 40-50 apps on my iPhone and every single one works with 3.0.What do you value so much that hasn't been fixed?

Wifi strength is waaay better IMO. I use the neighbors wifi and that used to barely get a connection. Nowadays I have all three wifi bars lite up.

3.0 rocks.
    iComic (from Cydia) doesn't work. The updated one on the AppStore does work for 3.0 however.

Also the free version of gps4iPhone doesn't work but HSpda cracked it.

These are some apps I've come across, but the extra features on 3.0 are worth it .

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Skiz's Avatar (_8(I)
    So they do work, you just have to get the updated version. Makes sense.

I'm sure there are some apps that don't work but the enormously vast majority do.

yo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast