Thread: CRC errors!!! arrgghhhhh!!!

I recently got astraweb service and it works great for me with the sabnzbd+ client.

My buddy however, keeps getting crc errors in his downloads (same client). I doubt there is anything wrong with the nzbs (they are from this site and newzleech yet they work 100% for me).

In an attempt to fix the problem I enabled the feature to "use backup servers on yEnc crc errors". And I set the general server as the main one with 16 connections and the eu and us server as the backups with 2 connections each. We left it to download some 1080p movies overnight and the next day each one of them still had an error.

Another weird thing is that the sabnzbd+ client wont automatically unrar any of the files (presumably because they got an error). When we attempt to unrar them we get the video file and all it shows is a few seconds of blankness.

I set up the client the exact same way at my buddies as I have with my setup and Its still giving him issues. It still works flawlessly for me and according to my logs its never had to use a backup server.

Both of our comps are running xp with firefox and sabnzbd+.

Any Ideas on things I can do to prevent or fix this error?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    dutchmaster420's Avatar God's Son
    are you using the par2 files?....the rar files will not extract if you dont fix the missing parts with the par2 files first

you can download a program such as quickpar...or i belive SABnzbd has a built in par2 repair and auto extraction option
    Last edited by dutchmaster420; 08-29-2009 at 10:11 PM.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by ploopsy View Post
    I recently got astraweb service and it works great for me with the sabnzbd+ client.

My buddy however, keeps getting crc errors in his downloads (same client). I doubt there is anything wrong with the nzbs (they are from this site and newzleech yet they work 100% for me).

In an attempt to fix the problem I enabled the feature to "use backup servers on yEnc crc errors". And I set the general server as the main one with 16 connections and the eu and us server as the backups with 2 connections each. We left it to download some 1080p movies overnight and the next day each one of them still had an error.

Another weird thing is that the sabnzbd+ client wont automatically unrar any of the files (presumably because they got an error). When we attempt to unrar them we get the video file and all it shows is a few seconds of blankness.

I set up the client the exact same way at my buddies as I have with my setup and Its still giving him issues. It still works flawlessly for me and according to my logs its never had to use a backup server.

Did you set Sab to "auto" repair and un-extract?

There's also http://www.quickpar.org.uk/
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmaster420 View Post
    are you using the par2 files?
    I do include them in the nzb when i download it (we just include all the files) so if there is par2 files they get downloaded. How do I tell if they are being used or not?

All the sabnzbd settings are default except for the ones that I mentioned earlier.

Can you tell me more about the par2 files? is it better to use them or to not use them? any settings I should take a look at?

thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post

-we enabled unrar

-and the post processing is set to +delete (so i think it does all the others aswell)

-"Only perform post-processing on jobs that passed all PAR2 checks" is disabled (but i buddy might have his enabled)

-the download mode in the que is set to "D"

Any idea on settings I should use?

BTW: The errors usually occur during the download.
    Last edited by ploopsy; 08-29-2009 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    I do include them in the nzb when i download it (we just include all the files) so if there is par2 files they get downloaded. How do I tell if they are being used or not?

All the sabnzbd settings are default except for the ones that I mentioned earlier.

Can you tell me more about the par2 files? is it better to use them or to not use them? any settings I should take a look at?

thanks for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by SonsOfLiberty View Post

-we enabled unrar

-and the post processing is set to +delete (so i think it does all the others aswell)

-"Only perform post-processing on jobs that passed all PAR2 checks" is disabled (but i buddy might have his enabled)

-the download mode in the que is set to "D"

Any idea on settings I should use?

BTW: The errors usually occur during the download.
    Sorry don't use SAB enough, use Newsleecher, tell you friend to make sure to download all pars, then use the link above to quickpar, install, and automatically repair and monitor with it, or just run it after you download is complete, drop the first par2 file in it and it will do the rest. Your getting CRC errors, because the rar's are corrupted and you need to use the included par2 files to repair them....
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    You're confusing two kinds of CRC errors; the errors that pop up when trying to unpack some unrepaired rar's that are missing pieces, often caused by downloading a post that's on the fringe of the news server's retention, and yEnc CRC errors, which happen to be rare now in 2009 (but they were very common prior to 2008). The feature "use backup servers on yEnc CRC errors" is not very useful at the moment, because there are so few Usenet articles that are corrupted in transit.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    Is there an excessive amount of CRC errors on the connections page?

I would try and get him to run http://www.memtest.org/ as it sounds like he could have some dodgy sticks of RAM corrupting the transfer.

Does he have any other problems or stability issues with his machine? Does he have the latest network care (wired or wireless) drivers? Does he have another hard drive he can try putting the cache, incomplete and complete folders on?