Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please Help Valve

I know this seems kinda stupid to ask people who are downloading programs and music to stop but this needs some attention. There is a user Monster811 that is posting the new Half-Life 2 source code and certain map levels for download. This game took 5 years to make over 6 million lines of code, some of the best and awesome gameplay graphics ever, and it could all go unrewarded because the desire to have Half-Life 2 before it hits stores is running wild. If you see it dont download it, it will prevent good, market-changing games like HL2 from being released and as it is now its postponed until next year. GFG.

No I dont work for Valve or the RIAA or any group. Im just a gamer that is now going to have to wait even longer for a game I waited 5 freaking years for. Grow some balls and a conscience!

edit: Please dont blame anyone for OS vulnerablities, if it wasnt for Micro$oft you would all be vi'ing everything.

2. Games   -   #2
    muchspl2
    seem to me its going to help us gamers in the long run
    don't you think everone working on games is going to know about this
    wheather are not they use the same code are variations of it is up to the co/gamemaker
    but if you think for 1 sec industrial espionage does not happen i have to tell you your living in a dream world

3. Games   -   #3
    Although espionage does happen, it doesn't on this magnitude and doesn't have such a bad effect as others do.
    This game is a revolutionary one in gaming context and to have it postponed again because some shmuck wanted to get his grubby little hands on it before anyone else is devastating to alot of people.
    The other thing that will ruin hl2 because of this is that now the cheaters/hackers that plagued the original half-life will now get a head start on corrupting the game before it even comes out.

I personally have been going through all p2p, warez, links, everything and tracking down the hl2 source and handing the information over to valve. I hope they catch the person(s) and sue their asses off.

"seem to me its going to help us gamers in the long run"
    Most ignorant comment ever.

4. Games   -   #4
    Originally posted by diapow@3 October 2003 - 23:05
    I know this seems kinda stupid to ask people who are downloading programs and music to stop but this needs some attention. There is a user Monster811 that is posting the new Half-Life 2 source code and certain map levels for download. This game took 5 years to make over 6 million lines of code, some of the best and awesome gameplay graphics ever, and it could all go unrewarded because the desire to have Half-Life 2 before it hits stores is running wild. If you see it dont download it, it will prevent good, market-changing games like HL2 from being released and as it is now its postponed until next year. GFG.

No I dont work for Valve or the RIAA or any group. Im just a gamer that is now going to have to wait even longer for a game I waited 5 freaking years for. Grow some balls and a conscience!

edit: Please dont blame anyone for OS vulnerablities, if it wasnt for Micro$oft you would all be vi'ing everything.
    um... most people don't even know how to compile source code into a binary form ANYWAY? i don't know how to, personally, and i'm a five time winner of the Nobel Super-Genius Of The Year Award.

yes, leaking the source code for a brand new program/game can be bad on an industrial level because your professional competitors can use it to crib notes from your latest work. but if you spot any outright plagiarism in someone else's program, you CAN sue them...

it might give amateur programmers a bit of extra help beyond the SDK, for creating a modification to use with the game engine... but for the average PC gamer getting hold of source code, it's about as useful as a hole in the head.

and no, HL2 is not delayed because of this. there had been a buzz about a possible HL2 delay for the past several weeks, already. Valve just failed to finish the game on time. they're not witholding the game to punish us for someone else's sins, if that's what you're implying.

5. Games   -   #5
    Poster
    It's just the source code, people... There's no resource files containing the textures, maps, scripts, etc, as I understand it. It's completely worthless to anyone just wanting to "get the game before it's released! OMGR0X0R!!!1!11"

The people it is useful to, however, are those who make a hobby out of writing cheat/hack programs for these games. The source code for the engine gives them a real insight into what the game actually does...

6. Games   -   #6
    Poster
    valve should have secured thier computers.. its thier own fault
    ice ice baby

7. Games   -   #7
    Poster
    Originally posted by diapow@4 October 2003 - 00:05
    There is a user Monster811 that is posting the new Half-Life 2 source code and certain map levels for download.
    i downloaded it and checked it out real quick and i HIGHLY doubt that someone would have turned it into binary already and made maps for what this source calls for. a map for this game would take more then 2 days to create. dont post info that you "heard" from someone and i dont think what you say is gonna stop anyone from downloading it and abusing it in what ever fashion they want shut up already do you think those people who are trying to find the person are gonna some how switch sides and go download it? highly unlikely many people want the game, THE FINISHED GAME and wont waste their time.anyways half the people who download it dont know what to do with it while alot more maybe know what it is but wont get very far.

8. Games   -   #8
    Its not really about a person turning the source code into a game or whatever, its more the fact that hackers will implement ways to cheat in the new hl2.
    If you were in the hl community you would realise cheating is definately a major thing that spoils this game as it is highly multiplayer orientated.
    Which means the leak of this source code means hackers can create cheats before the game is even finished yet alone released. Which is why I'm heavily againest this leaked source code.

9. Games   -   #9
    Poster
    they gonna try to make cheats anyway, no matter if they get the code now or after the release....

as long as no complete version of hl2 is on the net, valve wont suffer a real damage.....

10. Games   -   #10
    Oh yes they will suffer damage. Something like this can be devastating to the HL2 release, and the overall online gaming community that will follow. By looking at the source code - hackers/crackers will eventually find an exploit in the code and use it. It is bad for valve.

I will be so pissed if i see this on suprnova/kazaa

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast