Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Serious Computer Problem

MusicChick's Avatar Poster
    I ran Scan disk and I defraged but I still got a blue screen today and it froze once too. A friend of mine had win98 and had the same problem. So is this just the way win98 is? Sometimes I think I was better off with win95. Is there any way to reduce the blue screens? System Mechanic maybe?

2. Software & Hardware   -   #22
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    Oh good lord

3. Software & Hardware   -   #23
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Sadly 98 is very flawed (the blue screen is common), 2000 runs like XP but dosent have the fluff.

What you can do is put the win98 disc in and reinstall, But dont delete everything. Just reinstall the OS. To do that you just put the disc in well windows is loaded and install. Just do what it says and make sure you dont click wipe out all files option. This should bring back win98's origanal setup. You may be missing something or something got move to the wroung place.

Oh good lord
    Funny the last two post you have flamed and said you know the answer, but you dont tell it. ALso the fact that i am giving the right answers now make me laugh, at you.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #24

5. Software & Hardware   -   #25
    Thanks Agent Smith for all the help you've been. I greatly appreciate it. And thanks for not being rude to me too.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #26
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    Well he was only rude to me and not you cause you're a girl. Hmph!

7. Software & Hardware   -   #27
    I don't think he was rude. He was very helpful.

8. Software & Hardware   -   #28
    LeGoMyFnLeg
    Oh, reinstall your operating sytem was helpfull alright

9. Software & Hardware   -   #29
    BANNED
    A blue screen normaly happens if u have a hardware/software driver conflict.
    Most probably one of your drivers currupt or probably conflicting with another,or software drivers installed by motherboards,anti virus programs and like.The only thing is finding the problem driver.U could tri uninstalling your a/v and firwall for a while and see its ok.If it is.Install one back to see which ones the problem..or just use differnt ones.If its another driver like a hardware..unless u know what your doing..u maybe better reinstalling windows.Problems like these are hard to help with over a forum or chat.

U could also check your directx or if u havnt update to the latest version.

10. Software & Hardware   -   #30
    I have to agree and disagree with some of these posts. Yes, a bluescreen is caused when you have a software, or a driver that is curropt, or is in conflict with another one. Yeah, that usually means a reinstall of whatever it is that's causing it- no that's not an easy task, to track down the source.
    I personally dont agree with reinstalling just the OS (winbloze 98, even tho I do agree it's a piece of crap, I had less probs with win95 too) because the reinstall of just the OS will remove all of your registry settings for the other softwares that you have installed on the comp. Basically if that happens, you have to reinstall all of the softwares, to restore their registry settings.
    A lot easier just to format, IMHO. But, that's not my recommendation to do, unless all else fails, or you just get too frustrated with it to do anything else (The thought of taking a large, heavy hammer to it crosses my mind now and then too, but I try to avoid that one at all costs&#33

basically the bluescreen is being caused by a program that got botched in a failed shutdown, or something/someone tampering with software that's on the computer, and botched it. If it's doing it while the comp boots, I'd say that It's one of the progs that are located in your boot menu (the progs that startup when the system starts up.) That's the first place I'd look for reinstalling.
    Also if you hit start>run> type in MSCONFIG> click selective startup>then the startup tab, and uncheck any of your non-vital programs that start up with the comp, the system itself will run cleaner without all of that crap taking up system resources. I dont know what all is on your system, but systray, scanregistry, anything that starts with Smc (that's your sygate) and machine debug manager, are ones that you should leave checked, if they are present.

Hope this helps

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast