Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who started Achievements?

mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    was it the xbox360? googling does nothing. went thru 5 pages of worthless info. i mean xbox360, ps3, wii?, World of Warcraft & team fortress 2 all have these achievements (and i'm sure plenty more). i'm pretty much an achievement whore. lol, if anything i'll just play said game just to get achievements. speaking of which maybe it was the n64 that started it? you know? the mario or maybe even the donkey kong games that u collect X amount of coins to fulfill 100% ooh, maybe metroid with 100% map completion. silly achievements! :p
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

2. Games   -   #2
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I'm not sure who really "started" it, and you could really debate what an "achievement" really is. As you said, collecting 100% coins, 100% map completions, ect. ect are they really achievements? You could endlessly debate.

Although I believe what really popularized and cemented achievements as a fun and widely accepted system has to be that xbox. With the Xbox live service and sharing, displaying, and a very streamlined and easy to use system, Xbox really started it all in terms of adding achievements to increase replayability.

3. Games   -   #3
    i am not any near liking achievements thingy .. but way to go ! LoL !

4. Games   -   #4
    IdolEyes787's Avatar Persona non grata
    I hate the fact that I ( in theory anyway) pay 60 bucks for a game and there are things in it that I can't use if I so desire .
    Like buying an car and the dealer telling you that although the car's a 5 speed until you satisfy some random requirements you can only use first and second gear.

Make everything available ffs .Then leave it up to choice if you want to use it or not.
    Idiots.

5. Games   -   #5
    mr. nails's Avatar m@D @n!m3 BT Rep: +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    I hate the fact... Like buying a car and the dealer telling you that although the car's a 5 speed until you satisfy some random requirements you can only use first and second gear.
    but how cool would it be?

receive falacio in an urban area in 2nd gear to unlock higher gears. achievement earned.

see? well worth it.

but yea. i don't wanna be limited on wtf i can do. i like having everything at my fingertips and just receive an achievement for doing so.

ie: team fortress 2, the spy, as soon as the engineer builds all 4 of his building backstab his ass the blow up ALL his buildings. achievement earned. i have all the means necessary. i just need to act. love it.
    Alamo Drafthouse!

Last Game Completed: Aliens: Colonial Marines (PC) 10-13-13
    Now Playing: Paper Mario 64
    Total Games Completed: 503

6. Games   -   #6
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    I hate the fact that I ( in theory anyway) pay 60 bucks for a game and there are things in it that I can't use if I so desire .
    Like buying an car and the dealer telling you that although the car's a 5 speed until you satisfy some random requirements you can only use first and second gear.

Make everything available ffs .Then leave it up to choice if you want to use it or not.
    Idiots.
    Not sure what you're getting at.
    Are you trying to say that they should just give you the achievements as soon as you've stuck the game in?

7. Games   -   #7
    No I'm saying that the option to access any additional content should be available from the get go if you want to use it .That doesn't mean you have to or even that it's a wise thing to do but seriously what difference would it make ?

8. Games   -   #8
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    No I'm saying that the option to access any additional content should be available from the get go if you want to use it .That doesn't mean you have to or even that it's a wise thing to do but seriously what difference would it make ?
    You're going to have to give me an example. I'm not sure how this related to achievements.

9. Games   -   #9
    I don't think I really care that it doesn't.

10. Games   -   #10
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Oh so it was just a random thought, you weren't trying to relate it to achievements?
    That's fine, I misunderstood...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast