Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Download A Torrent To FTP?

Hotdog's Avatar n00b
    First off, I'd like to say that there is a great community here, and I as of lately I have found myself browsing this site for help in many areas! However, I had a question that I just couldn't find the answer to, so I decided to sign up and ask!

Basically, I run an XDCC channel in IRC, and as some of you may know, when you "bot" a release, you are basically just uploading to an FTP server that is hooked to the bot in IRC. Anyway, what I am wanting to know is, is there a way that I am able to download a torrent to the server that the bot's files are hosted? I'm assuming this is somewhat how a seedbox may work (I'm not sure though because I have never ran one). Reason I ask this is mainly because my home connection upload is awful - however my servers bandwith is great! When I bot something for my IRC channel, I usually grab the file off of a torrent, but then have to upload the file to my server with my home connection (and like I said, it's very slow). So basically I'm just trying to cut out the middle man's work. I want to be able to download the torrent straight to my bot's server, so I can avoid the whole "me uploading" part.

Anyway, if anybody could help me with a link or explanation or anything like that, I would be very appreciative! Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Hotdog; 09-08-2009 at 03:02 PM.

2. BitTorrent   -   #2
    Chief_Garbonzo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    what type of 'server' is yer FTP on.. like what kinda plan do you have where the bot is running from? if its a normal dedicated server then just install wine, then utorrent. Use VNC to add the torrents to utorrent on the server, or add them through the WebGUI.

I need more info to help you...

3. BitTorrent   -   #3
    djerholler69's Avatar Love Bytes! BT Rep: +3
    Yep, as Chief said + you could also use rss autodownloading to automate the whole download process!

4. BitTorrent   -   #4
    Hotdog's Avatar n00b
    Hi guys, and thank you for the responses. I was wondering if my original post was even making sense. Anyway, here are the stats of XDCC server:

XDCC Bot to serve your files
    5 GB Storage
    Maximum 2 Sends
    100 mbit Connection Shared
    FTP access to upload to storage
    DCC access to XDCC bot
    Unlimited Bandwidth
    Up to 4 Channels
    HTML Link to XDCC Packs

I was looking into that Wine software - and it looks pretty interesting. So what you're saying is basically to just install Wine on my XDCC server, and then uTorrent, and it will be able to download the files straight to my XDCC server?

5. BitTorrent   -   #5
    Chief_Garbonzo's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +11BT Rep +11BT Rep +11
    5GB of storage!?
    In the torrenting world that is not much space at all... For instance I have 1TB of space on my server. It sounds like you have a small package geared towards XDCC services only. In order to install wine and run programs like utorrent you would need access to the terminal command prompt to work. Once in, you would also need the appropriate user permissions within your directory to do this work as well. If you had another fast server somewhere, you could always FXP the files over to yer XDCC server...But I dont think thats the case.

So, depending on what yer paying for that setup, it could be more benificial for you to get your own dedicated server to torrent with and also setup your own XDCC server on it too. But from looking at the specs yer allowed on yer current server your probably not paying much monthly, compared to the cost of a dedicated server that would be all yers to control. Only thing I could really recomend is that if you have a friend with a seedbox/server you could ask him to give you FTP access to his server, then FXP the files over to yer XDCC server to distribute them. I hope this helps a little

6. BitTorrent   -   #6
    DanielleD87's Avatar bunny
    You can code a bt client on the bots so instead of FTPing you torrent the files to the bots but private trackers limit one download IP per user account so you will get banned for doing so unless it is one bot which could be basically the same as a seedbox.

Your best bet is to pay for a seedbox and use that for all of your torrenting needs aka for personal downloads and seeding as well downloading content for your bots. Also remember hit and run rules that you should seed for around a week of everything you download so the seedbox should be relatively fast like a gigabit box would do well. Anyways, after you download the torrent contents just fxp it from the seedbox to the bots. It isn't hard and even a script kiddy could easily do it and even automate it.

Just remember private tracker rules. Seed 1 to 1 on your downloads or seed for a min of a week. Only one download IP too. You can't have your bots directly download the content unless it is timed properly. Because of these things a high speed seedbox would be best.

7. BitTorrent   -   #7
    Hotdog's Avatar n00b
    Alright guys, I can't thank ya enough for your help! I really appreciate it. Looks to me like I need to invest in a seedbox, and then FXP (can't believe I didn't even think of FXPing to begin with). Anyway, like I said, thanks alot to Chief and Danielle for the help! Cheers!

8. BitTorrent   -   #8
    Swepsycho's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +8BT Rep +8
    sure np

9. BitTorrent   -   #9
    Hotdog's Avatar n00b
    Well I was going to send you guys a private message considering this is going a bit off topic, but it looks like I have to be a member for 30 days before I can do this. So I was wondering what seedbox host would you recommend? I don't need alot of storage really since I won't be doing ALOT of torrenting on it - I'm trying to find something for around $15 bucks a month. Does that sound possible? I found one site named fastsh.it. They are asking $18.50, which I guess would be a good deal - but it doesn't list any other specs besides the 100GB HDD space. So any ideas or recomendations would be appreciated. And sorry again for going a bit off topic.

10. BitTorrent   -   #10
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielleD87 View Post
    You can code a bt client on the bots so instead of FTPing you torrent the files to the bots but private trackers limit one download IP per user account so you will get banned for doing so unless it is one bot which could be basically the same as a seedbox.

Your best bet is to pay for a seedbox and use that for all of your torrenting needs aka for personal downloads and seeding as well downloading content for your bots. Also remember hit and run rules that you should seed for around a week of everything you download so the seedbox should be relatively fast like a gigabit box would do well. Anyways, after you download the torrent contents just fxp it from the seedbox to the bots. It isn't hard and even a script kiddy could easily do it and even automate it.

Just remember private tracker rules. Seed 1 to 1 on your downloads or seed for a min of a week. Only one download IP too. You can't have your bots directly download the content unless it is timed properly. Because of these things a high speed seedbox would be best.
    I bet am not the first person to ask this but are you really a girl?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast