Thread: Ps2 Mod Chips ------ Advice Plz

First off, im aware that this is the Hardware section, i am not asking about PS2 games, but the mod chips. I did a little research and from what i found, there are now various chips out there that i can either solder of otherwises install onto my PS2 to make it run backup games... Anyway, my conflict comes when i try to decide which chip i want.

So far it is between the Various Chips Magic 3.1, Messiah 2 pro 1.3, DMS3 Mod Chip, PS2 Slide Card w/magic Swap 2.0 disks, and lastly the PS2 no-solder Modchip Kit.

From what i see, the best choice for me right now is the Magic 3.1. Mod Chip Comparison Chart It is compatible with all medias, requires zero disk swaping, and is compatible with my PS2 (v4). However, what worries me is that is many of the forums that i have read ppl have complained that they have been having trouble getting their PS2s to work after installing the chip. I personally have no experience with soldering so the 44 solder points worry me. Also, ive heard things about the mod chip putting "extra stress" on the laser lens.

My second choice is the PS2 slide card w/Magic Swap 2.0 disks. This kit seems much easier to install, but it has limitations. For one, it cant play cdrs 630 megs or more. Im not sure how much of a limitation this is cuz i have never burned a PS2 game, but i assume that most PS2 games take up more space then 630 megs.

My 3rd choice is the no soldering mod chip. This sounds extremely easy to use. But again, limitations. It requires disk swapping, and is compatible with fewer games.

Ive also read about DVDr games and CDR games. Whats the difference? Are the DVD ones bigger? better graphics? Currently i dont have a dvd burner so if i have to get a burner to burn and play some of the better PS2 games then it realli isnt worth it to me. What are some examples of DVDr games and Cdr games?

Also, for those who have chosen the solder-required mod chips? was it difficult to solder? what solder device and wire did you use?

For those who used no-soldering mod chips or the 2 disk kit, how well is that going for you?

lastly, is modding your PS2 worth the risks?

Thx for your feedback B)
    -TiMz

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    bigdawgfoxx's Avatar Big Dawg
    i didnt know you could mod a ps2...how do u do that? what good does it do?
    [SIZE=1]AMD 4200 X2 @ 2.65Ghz, ASRock 939-VSTA
    1.75GB PC3200, 2 X 160GB Seagate w/ 8MB Buffer
    HIS Radeon X800 Pro, Antec Super Lanboy Aluminum

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    check google for PS2 Mod Chips, u'll find stuff, if u mod it you can play d/l games on it
    -TiMz

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Poster
    Ive also read about DVDr games and CDR games. Whats the difference? Are the DVD ones bigger? better graphics? Currently i dont have a dvd burner so if i have to get a burner to burn and play some of the better PS2 games then it realli isnt worth it to me. What are some examples of DVDr games and Cdr games?

DVDr games are usually 4 gigs while CDr are 700megs, the difference is that DVDr games comes with higher quality Dvd Videos and lots of big textures, thats why they need all that storage capacity.

Yes you need a DVD-RW drive to burn this games and you want some examples of DVDr and CDr games here i go....

Tekken Tag Tournament: a CDr game that only consists in a Pic in the background and a pic for the ground texture and a lot of small pics to make the players textures.... the game doent have vids at all, (the final vids are made using the in-game graphics)..... This game can be in a CDr for it doesnt need that much space....

Metal Gear Solid 2: this is a DVDr game ( like 3.2 Gigs).... this game is really huge with almost 40 hours of game, it uses a lot of BIG textures and vids, so the only way to store all this info without lowering the graphics is fitting it into a DVDr.....

And NO, it doesnt mean that Metal gear has better graphics than tekken, it depends in the way the programmers made the game.....

but i assume that most PS2 games take up more space then 630 megs.
    No they dont.... only if they are DVD

Also, for those who have chosen the solder-required mod chips? was it difficult to solder?
    I used a hot-Knife and yes it was dificult.... mine requires Disc Swapping and doesnt support DVDr, But is ok, i already rented all blockbuster's CDr PS2 games and burned them, right now i own 60 games..... BTW i have downloaded a lot from Suprnova.org

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Hmm, i gess its not realli worth it to me to mod my PS2 then . If i had to spend 40 bucks on the chip, and then another 350 for a DVD burner, and 30 for a 20 pack of CDs it would be easier and cheaper if i jsut stuck to PC games.

What are some other good CDr games out there?
    -TiMz