Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoutbox/IRC?

Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    I'm just curious, has FST ever considered getting a shoutbox or IRC channel? I'd more appreciate just being able to hang out somewhere and casually talk about the site, instead of just reading the same old constant troll threads over and over again (*cough*cough*swepsycho*cough*cough*), with no additional motivation to post anything in such a pile of crap. In addition, random short questions like "halp halp i cnt login to wafflz with new login page, wats IRC plz???" could be answered more easily without having to dig through countless simple threads with 1 word answers. If we had an shoutbox/irc it might also be possible to have notifications of new NZB's or other things as well, and it could be very useful.

Thoughts?

2. Everything Related to the Board   -   #2
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    This gets asked at least once per month.

We had it before but nobody used it. We tried it again and nobody used it.
    People always request it but nobody ever uses it so there's no point.

And we did the shoutbox thing as well but that was also useless.

3. Everything Related to the Board   -   #3
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Sorry I tried to quick search for it to no avail, the results were less than helpful. I tried searching again with "shoutbox" in thread title only, and it worked better.

However it seems like most of the posts said that they didn't like the shoutbox because it gets filled with crap, not that its unused. Would an IRC be more helpful in filtering out the idiots? Unless in the first part of your post you're talking about IRC. Perhaps making a poll about it? I'm sure the memberbase has probably grown significantly, is it possible that more of the active users would be willing to use it?

4. Everything Related to the Board   -   #4
    tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post
    Sorry I tried to quick search for it to no avail, the results were less than helpful. I tried searching again with "shoutbox" in thread title only, and it worked better.

However it seems like most of the posts said that they didn't like the shoutbox because it gets filled with crap, not that its unused. Would an IRC be more helpful in filtering out the idiots? Unless in the first part of your post you're talking about IRC. Perhaps making a poll about it? I'm sure the memberbase has probably grown significantly, is it possible that more of the active users would be willing to use it?
    Yes in the first part of my post I was talking about IRC.

5. Everything Related to the Board   -   #5
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rart View Post

Yes in the first part of my post I was talking about IRC.
    yeah i feel the same too, that the userbase is massive now and may be opening up an irc now wud result in atleast 150-200 people if not more..i was looking to start one on my own for FST but

6. Everything Related to the Board   -   #6
    vivitron 15's Avatar Poster
    i always chuckle - having an irc channel to talk about a forum - lol.

random crap is what the lounge is for!
    <insert signature here>

7. Everything Related to the Board   -   #7
    Skweeky's Avatar Manker's web totty
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    This gets asked at least once per month.

We had it before but nobody used it. We tried it again and nobody used it.
    People always request it but nobody ever uses it so there's no point.

And we did the shoutbox thing as well but that was also useless.
    That's not entirely true, we had an IRC channel back in 2003-2004 that was very popular.

It fell apart a bit after some silly feuds and it pretty much went to the dogs. However, many a romance started in that IRC room

8. Everything Related to the Board   -   #8
    so theres not going to be any IRC new official channels, so were are you supposed to request for old content thats over 12 months retention thats been posted here before ?

as one single example, "criminal minds" nzbs S01 through S05, https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/searc...0&pp=25&page=8
    going back to 2006 so far.

is a 3rd party torrent put up in good faith by a single super slow 50k upload connection user the ONLY real viable way to get these older content outside the retention timelines of the usenet servers today, shame.

9. Everything Related to the Board   -   #9
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    Well lets see why not someone take the incentive and go to EFNET or any other IRC provider and start the channel (obviously a trusted network) and see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by pip99 View Post
    so theres not going to be any IRC new official channels, so were are you supposed to request for old content thats over 12 months retention thats been posted here before ?

as one single example, "criminal minds" nzbs S01 through S05, https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/searc...0&pp=25&page=8
    going back to 2006 so far.

is a 3rd party torrent put up in good faith by a single super slow 50k upload connection user the ONLY real viable way to get these older content outside the retention timelines of the usenet servers today, shame.
    It's called a search engine...
    http://www.nzbindex.nl/

Why in the world would you get HDTV/x264 HDTV 720p rips, when DVDRips/maybe Bluray rips are out?

Or join the EFNET "teevee channel" and learn how to request by doing (!help), after that you can request and they get filled.

Maybe tesco won't be mad for snipping a screen shot of the "new work in progess" if he says OK, "maybe" we can show more

Last edited by SonsOfLiberty; 01-14-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    [center]

10. Everything Related to the Board   -   #10
    iLOVENZB's Avatar FST Crew BT Rep: +1
    Rart; whats wrong with the forum?

Because I love you so much use this: https://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lou...23#post3371916
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast