Thread: looking for IP block/masking software

Question Mark

I frequently use newsgroups/usenet for material and am looking to gain some privacy. I know you can get SSL feature with certain newsgroup providers and their packages.

I've also recently looked into some IP masking software. So far I've come across PeerGuardian and PeerBlock packages. Can anybody recommend some other free simple IP blocking/masking software?

2. Newsgroups   -   #2
    I'm staff,kiss m ass BT Rep: +1
    What do you want them to do, you connect to your news-service and that's it, there isn't really much to block.

3. Newsgroups   -   #3
    SonsOfLiberty's Avatar The Lonely Wanderer
    You don't need that crap for Usenet, just get Astraweb ($11 a month Unlimted/with free SSL).
    [center]

4. Newsgroups   -   #4
    Looking for something similar to SSL, but maybe through software instead. My ISP is one of the few left that provides usenet/newsgroup access, but they don't offer SSL. Unlimited access and their retention is somewhat decent at about 140 days so its good enough for my needs and best of all, its free. Therefore, hoping to maybe find a software solution for encryption instead of paying for it via a usenet provider.
    Last edited by buscuitboy; 09-14-2009 at 05:29 PM.

5. Newsgroups   -   #5
    Well you won't find it, who are you going to block your ISP?? Then if you do that you can't download, your not connecting to a whole bunch of servers, your connecting to your ISP's news server...
    [center]

6. Newsgroups   -   #6
    So, what are PeerGuardian and PeerBlock used for? Strictly for 3rd party usenet access (aka Giganews, Astraweb, Newsdemon, etc.)? From my understanding, I believe my ISP's usenet service is outsourced by a separate company as well. Therefore, would that also be considered a 3rd party like Astraweb & Giganews?

And unlike other ISP's own usenet access, I can access my servers ANYWHERE on any network. I used to have Comcast and I know at the time they outsourced their usenet to Giganews before they totally shut it down. However, when it was up & running, you could only access it with a Comcast connection & username. Not my current ISP. All I need now is an ISP provided e-mail address for their network and access to their usenet can be obtained anywhere. I commonly share my current usenet account with friends who are on several different networks (AT&T, Charter, Comcast, etc.). Would this be a factor as well?
    Last edited by buscuitboy; 09-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.

7. Newsgroups   -   #7
    ericab's Avatar Poster BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PeerGuardian

used mostly for torrents.
    An Excerpt from: A Declaration of the Independence of Cyberspace
    by John Perry Barlow
    Governments of the Industrial World, you weary giants of flesh and steel, I come from Cyberspace, the new home of Mind. On behalf of the future, I ask you of the past to leave us alone. You are not welcome among us. You have no sovereignty where we gather [...] I declare the global social space we are building to be naturally independent of the tyrannies you seek to impose on us.
    Read more here

8. Newsgroups   -   #8
    Quote Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
    So, what are PeerGuardian and PeerBlock used for? Strictly for 3rd party usenet access (aka Giganews, Astraweb, Newsdemon, etc.)? From my understanding, I believe my ISP's usenet service is outsourced by a separate company as well. Therefore, would that also be considered a 3rd party like Astraweb & Giganews?

And unlike other ISP's own usenet access, I can access my servers ANYWHERE on any network. I used to have Comcast and I know at the time they outsourced their usenet to Giganews before they totally shut it down. However, when it was up & running, you could only access it with a Comcast connection & username. Not my current ISP. All I need now is an ISP provided e-mail address for their network and access to their usenet can be obtained anywhere. I commonly share my current usenet account with friends who are on several different networks (AT&T, Charter, Comcast, etc.). Would this be a factor as well?

Peerblock is the same as PG.

As for out sourcing sure, compare the server address to those of Giganews and Astraweb.

But you do not need to use that PB or PG or anything else.
    [center]

9. Newsgroups   -   #9
    Poster BT Rep: +1
    I am short on time so I have just quickly read this thread, not sure exactly what you are trying to do? :/

PeerGuardian and similar applications are mainly used on P2P networks, such as torrents, where you connect to anyone (whom ever is in the swarm), not knowing who they are. PeerGuardian just uses a blocklist/filterlist to block IP address that are known to belong to anti-piracy agencies, police etc but with usenet you are connecting to just one server (the usenet server), so PeerGuardian will do nothing because you are not connecting to other people.. just one server. It would have nothing to block.

There is nothing you could do to encrypt your connections via software, the usenet server would have to support and have SSL enabled for your account in order for it to work. Usenet is secure if you are just downloading, usenet hosts do not log what you download (only the amount you download, so that they know how much bandwidth to purchase) and your ISP is highly unlikely to ever look in on what you are downloading, it would require lots of time by the ISP staff and it would probably be illegal.

If you are using a usenet client that supports SSL, try enabling it and see if it works.. they might not say they offer it but it might still work, the two common SSL ports are 563 and 463. If that fails, you would have to buy a premium account that has SSL, though in my opinion there is no need for it.

Last edited by UsenetGuy; 09-14-2009 at 10:07 PM.