Thread: Big Folder Splitting Help..

captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    I have a few folders on hdd of about 30-40gb. what i want to do is split them into dvd size chunks to burn to a dvd. so im looking for a programme to do this for me, i have looked in all the usual places but without finding a good solution, any help would be appreciated.

to be used on vista.

thx.

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    darkstate01's Avatar Poster
    On the Info you gave i went to a very popular site on the Internet called google.co.uk,from there i put in the words vista free folder splitter and Instantly it came back with many many pages of free software that would split files into managable sizes here are the links i used
    google
    http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&q=vis...3da78d166798a7
    free folder splitter example site
    http://www.portablefreeware.com/?sc=20
    have a nice day
    Last edited by darkstate01; 09-13-2009 at 12:41 AM.
    PAIN is just WEAKNESS leaving the body

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    captive's Avatar speaks.his.mind
    cheers for the sarcasm, i would never have thought of google.

they are all either not free, dont do what i asked or are for a mac, like i said any HELP would be appreciated. :/
    Last edited by captive; 09-14-2009 at 04:13 AM.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Rart's Avatar Hold The Line
    Can't you just use winrar? Isn't that how all files in the scene are split into multi part rar's?

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    I use winrar. Right click the file and "add to archive". On "split to volumes" type 4 GB. It should split the archive into 4 GB size, which would fit a dvd.

Maybe you have to type "4096 mb" which would be the same thing, right? I never had to split files so big before. I usually break them down by 200 mb.

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    You do not want to split a 40 gigabyte folder into 4 gigabyte parts and burn each onto a separate dvd. Each disk would be equivalent to a 4.3gig rar file), What a pain to put it back together and what happens if one of the disks gets destroyed by kitty or doggy. None of the information on the disk set would be of any use if just one disks was gone, it would be the same as missing a rar from a set.

Instead what you have to do is manually go into your folder and select stuff and highlight them. Start at the top (and it helps if your in DETAILS view) and while holding the Ctrl key start picking files and when you think you have enough stop and right click any one of the group and select properties to see its combined size. Sometimes you have to take somethings out, and sometimes add, but always go back to holding the Ctrl key while making your changes, or you will lose the list. I do this with PS2 iso's I save, always grouping them into close to 4.38mb as I can get without going over (4.37 is safe). Then when I have a group, I cut and paste into new folders like D1 D2 D3 etc..

If your folder has folders in it larger than 4 gig you have to treat them separately. In this manner, no matter what disk you choose all the data on it will be in its entirety and useable, no splitting of data or even raring for that matter, you just burn the data to disk with nero.exe or whatever.

There maybe software out there to do what you want but a little time and patience is all you really need.
    Last edited by Appzalien; 11-02-2009 at 04:07 AM.