Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Xp

Hi all and thanks for reading this...
    I have a problem with booting xp installation. First of all let me try to explain exactly what i did.

I had Windows XP and Redhat9.0 installed on the same HD. I thought i'd be nice to have Wind2k installed on the same HD too just to mess it up, crash it and what not. I used Partition magic to resize the HD and make room for Wind2k. It installed fine. Now when now at the menu where im supposed to choose which OS i wannt to boot I only get Windows 200 Professional and Windows XP Professional. I dont get Redhat and to make it worst I cannt even boot up Windows XP Professional. When i choose the Windows XP option it tells me that Windows 2k is booting and then gives me an error and an option if i want to choose "r" or something to fix the problem. The Windows XP installation and folders are still there. I didnt delete them Does anyone have an idea on how to fix this?

Thank you in advance

2. Software & Hardware   -   #2
    sparsely's Avatar °¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°¤°
    When you're gonna dual boot Windows OS's, you should install the older OS (2000 in this case) first...

this post is guaranteed 100% parrot-free

3. Software & Hardware   -   #3
    When you created the partition for 2k, did you set it as active? meaning hiding the XP partition from the 2k installation, if not it will change the partition that Xp is on to something else, give 2000 C:, and just all around fuck everything up.

4. Software & Hardware   -   #4
    Originally posted by Sparsely@5 October 2003 - 06:53
    When you're gonna dual boot Windows OS's, you should install the older OS (2000 in this case) first...

Can I fix this? I dont wanna have to install XP again

5. Software & Hardware   -   #5
    Poster
    my best suggeston is to do a search for a good boot manager the good ones will search all ya hard drives and make a list of all os's then give you the option to choose which one to boot to
    it is a hard one to answer over the net like this

6. Software & Hardware   -   #6
    Originally posted by toddiscool+5 October 2003 - 07:16--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (toddiscool &#064; 5 October 2003 - 07:16)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> When you created the partition for 2k, did you set it as active? meaning hiding the XP partition from the 2k installation, if not it will change the partition that Xp is on to something else, give 2000 C:, and just all around fuck everything up. [/b]

No XP is on C:&#092; and 2K is on E:&#092; My second HD has D:&#092;. The partition is there it&#39;s just that im not able to boot xp now

<!--QuoteBegin-exeus

my best suggeston is to do a search for a good boot manager the good ones will search all ya hard drives and make a list of all os&#39;s then give you the option to choose which one to boot to
    it is a hard one to answer over the net like this
    [/quote]

Can you sugest a good boot manager? thanks

7. Software & Hardware   -   #7
    Poster
    I had the same problem&#33; I ended up reinstalling winXP as i thought that was the easiest solution&#33; This Site has a dual booting guide for windowsXP/ 2000

8. Software & Hardware   -   #8
    Backup NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM

1) In Windows XP, open Windows Explorer and locate NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM in the root directory of your boot drive.&nbsp; These are usually Hidden files, so you&#39;ll have to adjust your Explorer options to show them.
    2) Copy these files to a blank, formatted floppy, or other location that will be available after the Win2K install.

Install Windows 2000

1)&nbsp; Boot your computer from the Win2K CD and continue with the installation.
    2)&nbsp; Proceed with the install. Install Windows 2000 to a different partition than XP is installed in.
    3)&nbsp; Complete the Windows install.&nbsp; Allow the computer to boot into Windows 2000.

Repairing the Windows® XP Boot Loader

When the Windows 2000 installation is done, boot the computer into Windows 2000, not Windows XP.

1)&nbsp; Insert the floppy disk that you used earlier (or access the location you used), to backup NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM
    2)&nbsp; Copy NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM back to the root directory of your boot drive.&nbsp; Again, you may have to adjust your Explorer Options.

Now, you&#39;ll be able to restart your computer and boot into Win 2K or Win XP.&nbsp; This procedure is necessary because the Win XP version of NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM will boot Windows 2000, but not vice-versa.
    I dont think I can do this as I&#39;ve installed 2k without backing up the nescesary files
    Back from scratch

9. Software & Hardware   -   #9
    Poster
    if one of your freinds has xp, you could get the files off them&#33;

10. Software & Hardware   -   #10
    Originally posted by Catracho@5 October 2003 - 03:18
    No XP is on C:&#092; and 2K is on E:&#092; My second HD has D:&#092;. The partition is there it&#39;s just that im not able to boot xp now

Can you see the XP partition under 2k?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast