Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk about BT

Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Seriously you cannot teach anything to someone who has no desire to learn.
    You'll get no argument from me on that one
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

2. BitTorrent   -   #102
    I BT because it's an addiction. Same with stats and getting to those uber ranks. It's not even about the content anymore for me, unless it's a music tracker.

3. BitTorrent   -   #103
    Quote Originally Posted by bas1c View Post
    I BT because it's an addiction. Same with stats and getting to those uber ranks. It's not even about the content anymore for me, unless it's a music tracker.
    Well, I think you should be applauded for being honest. You actually are bringing up something that probably should be addressed if we are really talking about all aspects of BT. I am positive that there are quite a few folks that also find themselves unable to stop, much like gambling, the feeling of elation at achieving some transient goal driving them well past sane usage levels.

I mean, I'm sure most of us have at least heard reference to internet addiction, so it can only be worse in BT as there is a semi tangible reward to it, in the speed you get your files, or the esteem of the trackers you gain entry to, or the selection you have to choose from. It's easy for someone to say "use moderation" but there is always the crutch of community there to help us convince ourselves that it's a valid use of time.

I wish you luck in dealing with your addiction bas1c, and only wish I could tell you something to make it easier to unplug, other than just saying "you should unplug" but there's not really much else to say.
    Think 9 is the new 10.

4. BitTorrent   -   #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Intr4ns1t View Post
    Well, I think you should be applauded for being honest. You actually are bringing up something that probably should be addressed if we are really talking about all aspects of BT. I am positive that there are quite a few folks that also find themselves unable to stop, much like gambling, the feeling of elation at achieving some transient goal driving them well past sane usage levels.

I mean, I'm sure most of us have at least heard reference to internet addiction, so it can only be worse in BT as there is a semi tangible reward to it, in the speed you get your files, or the esteem of the trackers you gain entry to, or the selection you have to choose from. It's easy for someone to say "use moderation" but there is always the crutch of community there to help us convince ourselves that it's a valid use of time.

I wish you luck in dealing with your addiction bas1c, and only wish I could tell you something to make it easier to unplug, other than just saying "you should unplug" but there's not really much else to say.
    Well I'm not THAT far gone. RSS, a good filter, and a box definitely gives you peace of mind. But it's definitely fun to log in to see your percentages/stats everyday.

I see where you are getting at though. Maybe it falls under addiction, but at least in my case, I think it's more about exceeding and trying to be the best at whatever I may be doing. That drive that always makes me want to be on top. Once I get to that transient goal of mine I'll be 'done' and move onto the next thing.

Now onto [my] addiction problems: gambling and alcohol. I have no explanation for those other than that I have an addictive personality and like to let go every once in awhile.

5. BitTorrent   -   #105
    Yoann64's Avatar El Niño Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by IdolEyes787 View Post
    Seriously you cannot teach anything to someone who has no desire to learn.
    You'll get no argument from me on that one
    There is no bad students, but only bad teachers ! Nowadays,maybe the major problem of the BT is the education of "the average member". BT looks like a "McDonald", where the people come, take what they want, and go ! You just have to look at how many people pushed the "thanks button" or let a comment for the uploader in all the trackers where you're on, and to compare it with the "snatched list"
    Last edited by Yoann64; 09-25-2009 at 05:17 AM.
    Bienvenida Mamacita - I'm in ruta Babylon - Bienvenida La Juana - Tequila, sexo, marihuana. (M.Chao)

6. BitTorrent   -   #106
    BANNED
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad-Day View Post
    U dunno what is IC ? its a forum. Nothing like tr or tps or cfs, ppl dont beg for nothing... or suck...
    lmfao minute i joined that shitty forum all these scrubs kept tellin me how we were all family and then some indian guy kept messaging me telling me how he dreams to join sites

left that place in the dust

how is bt an addiction u just download and go afk ...

7. BitTorrent   -   #107
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoann64 View Post
    There is no bad students, but only bad teachers !
    A student by definition has a desire to learn. If someone does not wish to learn, they are no student. I would love to hear some ideas on how to teach those "average" users though. You can't force someone to read the rules let alone any primer on the commonly accepted "rules" while ignoring the fact that there is no commonly accepted "rules". Most folks that use bit torrent get their exposure from sites like Mininova, Isohunt, TPB and Demonoid at first, so things like ratios and seedtime requirements are foreign to most of them. It's not till they get sick of fakes and infections that they start to seek out more trustworthy sources of media. Then they have to relearn how to torrent, if they care to change their habits.
    Last edited by Intr4ns1t; 09-25-2009 at 06:47 AM.
    Think 9 is the new 10.

8. BitTorrent   -   #108
    sear's Avatar Feeling Clamy BT Rep: +3
    There was a great tutorial on oink on being a good member of private trackers. I read it when I was first starting out and it taught me a lot, it was funny too. I'd love to know if anyone has seen it hosted someplace else.

9. BitTorrent   -   #109
    sez's Avatar c0V3r3Ð iN Ba57ArÐ BT Rep: +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23BT Rep +23
    Quote Originally Posted by sear View Post
    There was a great tutorial on oink on being a good member of private trackers.
    whats your idea of a good member on a torrent site then?coz in my thinking,you can't put a bar on it and say that this is the exemplar for everyone else to look upon.
    On the site you patently staff on for example,community comes first or so i've heard and from that I can draw forum activity and IRC being key for anyone to be considered an ideal member.My question then begs,how do you think you are fairing as of this scenario?(90% participation being an A, anything below an F).

To draw a queer parallel,TL(as being a for files tracker)will prune this 10% who aren't using the tracker as its meant to be.It would be informative to know whether you live upto the brand and do actually indeed do something about your bad users as well.

10. BitTorrent   -   #110
    Yoann64's Avatar El Niño Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoann64 View Post
    There is no bad students, but only bad teachers !
    A student by definition has a desire to learn. If someone does not wish to learn, they are no student. I would love to hear some ideas on how to teach those "average" users though. You can't force someone to read the rules let alone any primer on the commonly accepted "rules" while ignoring the fact that there is no commonly accepted "rules". Most folks that use bit torrent get their exposure from sites like Mininova, Isohunt, TPB and Demonoid at first, so things like ratios and seedtime requirements are foreign to most of them. It's not till they get sick of fakes and infections that they start to seek out more trustworthy sources of media. Then they have to relearn how to torrent, if they care to change their habits.
    "There is no bad students, but only bad teachers" is from
    There are no bad students, only bad teachers. The child who understands why he was asked to provide such intellectual effort, manual or physical, the child understands that he will use in his life everyday (What is reading, writing, calculation?), that child will be involved in learning and related problems such as discipline diminishes accordingly. For this it is necessary - always ahead of school work - to discuss, argue, to treat children as individuals in their own right and provide the best possible conditions to develop their critical sense.
    (sorry, I'm not sure of the translation)
    For example, the word "Students" may be replaced by "new users" and the word "teachers" by "staff" or "former users".
    Bienvenida Mamacita - I'm in ruta Babylon - Bienvenida La Juana - Tequila, sexo, marihuana. (M.Chao)

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast