Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213

Thread: Let's talk about BT

Yoann64's Avatar El Niņo Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Martinator View Post
    I'd just like to add that I wouldn't mind newbs respond to this thread. No so that I can bash them, but with the intention to see how they see things. Maybe by knowing that the staffers can see which aspects of BT need to be further emphasized...

Or maybe it's just me.
    Is not it a bit presumptuous ? I personally always feel "Newbs" because I always find something new to learn.
    Bienvenida Mamacita - I'm in ruta Babylon - Bienvenida La Juana - Tequila, sexo, marihuana. (M.Chao)

2. BitTorrent   -   #122
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    I'd just like to add that I wouldn't mind newbs respond to this thread. No so that I can bash them, but with the intention to see how they see things. Maybe by knowing that the staffers can see which aspects of BT need to be further emphasized...

Or maybe it's just me.
    I would love that myself, especially some questions. As I said in my original post, I'm not just looking for a list of answers to the questions I asked, but anyones real thoughts on what we do as well. I don't believe it's presumptuous to assume a level of experience greater than the average bear, as those that have given well thought out answers have imo demonstrated that they at least pay attention to some of the less obvious factors that make this world go round.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

3. BitTorrent   -   #123
    To be honest n00bs answers would interest me on this thread as some real good points have been made. But what a n00b see's about torenting may be completely diff to people who have posted so far
    It would also be interesting to find out what sorts of trackers people started off in and what bought them to FSt and if they have changed there views on torrenting since joining here, or simular sites.
    Yeah I know a lot to ask for
    Last edited by Duckater; 09-26-2009 at 11:15 PM.
    http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b36/Duckster666/DUCK.png
    Not looking for anything
    There are 10 kinds of people who know binary. Those who do, and those who don't.

4. BitTorrent   -   #124
    This is such a nice topic! It's one we all think about often, I think (well who's "we" that I refer to here? I'd say, more your average long-time/experienced torrenter/staffer - not to rule out noobs from sharing their thoughts here ). The BT world is a many varied place, full of people from all around the world and with many interesting and varied characters in it. Some people are "in it" for very different reasons to other people - some reasons better than others (to reduce a whole slimey bucket of issues into a mild, cool five words).

I tend to write massive essays in discussion threads of this nature but given the already big posts preceding me I feel at home writing this post .

Ethics of private torrenting is always a topic I love chatting about with some close friends and colleagues. I feel in this world it's something you can always refine within yourself. It's more like wisdom, in this bt world, it's applied common sense and being aware of how our communities work and acting in a way that is harmonious to them - and at the same time, *not* acting in ways that harm them. So it's far more than just obeying what's written on rules.php - ethics extends to this larger idea of the well-being of the *tracker community* and being a responsible member of it. I'm feeling a bit enlightened zen yoda-like writing these strange peaceful guidelines of torrenting monkdom, but it's how I feel.

Depending on the offence that someone commits, there should be appropriate action taken or negative regard shown towards that person, but one thing I've learnt, is that some people might take super staunch views on a particular issue but you don't see it as important as they do - you have to respect each other and not hassle another if they dont take as strong a stance on something as you do.

But as an example: when I see people expose urls/info of communities who expressly don't want that, that's something that's negative for that tracker and the tracker community (even if just due to the disrespect); and therefore negative regard/action should be shown/taken towards that person.

As for politics: I have a thick skin, am easy going and not easily offended, and don't like to offend, so if I found myself in the midst of some e-drama which somehow I got involved in, it wouldn't really be too stressful an experience or a huge problem for me, - just annoying, frustrating and sometimes unfortunate what happens and how people get rifts with each other.

But the whole politics of bt world is genuinely interesting and even fun to both watch and sometimes be involved in. Politics is not just the fighting side of it - but politics is also about building alliances, making friends, strengthening the larger bt (and even file sharing) community.

So what do I hate? Well, it irritates me sometimes to see people get so easily offended at things. When people have offended, insulted, shouted rude things at me, I have never lashed back at them or insulted them back - it's not my personality anyway. Having said that, I have very strong (often stubborn) views and principles on many things, and some people I have a strong dislike for in the bt world. And sometimes I just get sick of seeing dramas happen between people - sometimes I just want to say to them (and I do) - "It's the fricking internet! Loosen up and have fun - and forgive each other anda forget, for cow's sake!" And we must never forget, BT should remain a (fun, illegal ) hobby, NOT anything more than that (not a job, not your life, not a business/livelihood, not a stressful consuming pursuit, not an ego trip) - and if only people would not get so caught up in things there would be a lot more peace around here, other forums, and the staffing circles.

So all in all I'm not one who gets too political (and I guess vocal) - I'll just leave that to my colleagues (if I can) hahah <3

And, err, that's about it.

5. BitTorrent   -   #125
    The_Martinator's Avatar I is posting MACHINE BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoann64 View Post

Or maybe it's just me.
    Is not it a bit presumptuous ? I personally always feel "Newbs" because I always find something new to learn.
    Of course it's relative. I learn new stuff regarding BT a lot of the time too. I was talking about people who are new to BT, not those who know little about it.
    I'm back. The downside is that I'm also old now.

6. BitTorrent   -   #126
    Intr4ns1t's Avatar Pro-antinegativist BT Rep: +4
    Quote Originally Posted by dvdasacd View Post
    But the whole politics of bt world is genuinely interesting and even fun to both watch and sometimes be involved in. Politics is not just the fighting side of it - but politics is also about building alliances, making friends, strengthening the larger bt (and even file sharing) community.
    That is a very important point you just raised, and one I am a firm believer in. It's easy to get lulled into an insular attitude about your personal favorite communities, and ignore the bigger implications of both the fighting and the cooperation. Problems arise when one voice gets too much influence, but that voice changes from person to person and group to group and the ever changing flow of these politics is indeed fascinating. Especially in light of the fact that there are so many different people from different cultures interacting on a, for the most part, level playing field.

Intr4nsed1t: Sorry I didn't see that post yesterday, but the front page of the index was being lambasted with frivolity, so I lost this thread to the shady crevasses of the back pages of the board
    Last edited by Intr4ns1t; 10-01-2009 at 12:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KFlint
    Think 9 is the new 10.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213